Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Carlos Santana Is a Perfect Fit for the Twins

carlos santana tyler austin c.j. cron
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:41 PM

I agree that he would be decent fit for the Twins if we only have to give up some prospect or two if we get some salary relief. First of all he is first baseman and do like his career numbers on striking out and his hitting. I have no faith in Cron for the coming year for first base. Second its only two years and even if one kids come up from minors we still could use him in DH role / first baseman. Would add no long term commitments for the Twins or prevent the twins locking up some their younger players. The question arise does this fit this Front Office plan for the team because I don't think there plans are to be competitive this year or the next year were in there rebuild for 2021 when there prospects start arriving. 

• ChrisKnutson likes this

#42 snap4birds

snap4birds

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:08 PM

I'd still rather have SP and RP and a SS or 2B, even a flex 3B/SS/1B (not sure there is one other than Machado)

Jedd Gyorko qualifies for that.Sort of.He's mostly 3B/2B lately, but he did have 5 games at SS & 5 at 1B last year.(Plus 1 IP).The Cardinals probably don't have room for both Gyorko & Greg Garcia.Gyorko has the better bat, but Garcia might be a better fit for them at this point.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#43 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:10 PM

I'd pass on Santana. However, this was a breath of fresh air to this old schooler who has embraced the new world yet cannot stand that strikeouts are seen as acceptable and the rate at which they are happening: "Strikeouts are bearable, but only to a certain point. Consider this: Tyler Austin 36.6 K% Miguel Sano 36.3 K% Byron Buxton 31.7 K% You just can't have an everyday lineup that includes all three of those guys." Thank you for this insight.
  • Aerodeliria likes this

#44 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:18 PM

I don't think they are saying that after every big contract or trade, they implied it once and they probably won't say another word about it again. I'd rather we were just being creative to come up with discussions and ideas to fit within their implied (and bogus) constraints to make the team better than just be angry all year. It's nearly intolerable around here right now and the frustration isn't going to change ownership's behavior.

We agree that the constraints are bogus and that there's anger bubbling beneath the surface but most of what I've seen is restraint until the offseason shakes out. 

Twins fans have been conditioned to not expect signings like Machado, Harper, or even Corbin, but missing out on Donaldson for 1 year was a bummer. If the FO fails to bring in significant help (i.e. clear upgrades) for the MI & bullpen, and swing some moves to bolster the starting rotation while simultaneously slashing payroll by $30M outrage is more than justified. 

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#45 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:08 PM

If the goal is to win the division (not sure if it is), than the FO better be quick about acquiring Santana, and signing Cruz and Lowrie before other teams take advantage of their small markets. And it’s not like these guys are your regular journeymen, nor are they young studs who’ll command +$100M each, these are veterans who play at an all-star caliber level, not to mention that they’re all relatively affordable and likely to sign for 1-2 years; keeping the seat warm for Lewis/Rooker/Gordon/Kirilloff/Larnach/Jeffers, along with with keeping us in contention.

Altogether, these three will probably cost $80M total,, so why not “go all in” if it’s not gonna financially cripple us (or even make a dent). Obviously we still would need some bullpen help, but with the pitching depth we got, I’m pretty sure we can make due without spending +$30M on bullpens arms. The only big name bullpen arms I’d sign this offseason are Cody Allen and Zach Britton (1 year “prove it” contracts), other than them, I say we go after possible bargains like David Phelps, A.J. Ramos, Drew Storen, etc.

The stars are aligning, take advantage of it and we could easily win the division this year, the next, and so forth (depending on the development of our core).

#46 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:31 AM

Man, Segura is the guy I REALLY wanted. Phillies are building something over there...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carlos santana, tyler austin, c.j. cron