Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Rundown: Twins Cold Stove, New Beat Writers and More

mlb trade rumors mlb free agent rumors twins spring training
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

As we get closer to the Winter Meetings more rumors are starting to swirl, but it’s nearly impossible to find anything specifically related to the Twins. Maybe that’s because this is a tight-lipped front office, maybe it’s just because they haven’t made much progress on anything yet. Then again, dealin’ Jerry Dipoto hasn’t seemed to have any trouble making things happen for the Mariners.In two separate blockbuster trades, Seattle sent Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz to the Mets and Jean Segura to the Phillies. It seems like the Twins should have had some interest in all three of those players, but Cano and Segura both have no-trade authority, so it’s possible they were never an option.

Still, the few whispers going around indicate that the Twins are more focused on the trade market at this time, but if you can’t work out a deal with Dipoto what chance do you have of bartering with anyone else? OK, there are 28 other fish in the GM sea, but I have to admit I’m getting a little restless. Luckily the Baseball Winter Meetings start this coming Sunday in Las Vegas. We should have a better idea of what’s to come based on next week’s activity.

Single-game Twins spring training tickets went on sale this morning. Their first home game is Saturday, Feb. 23 and $12 gets you in the door.

MLB Trade Rumors passed along updates around a couple of the top pitchers dominating the rumor mill of late: Noah Snydergaard and Patrick Corbin. Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen said that only under special circumstances would he even consider trading away Thor. It’s possible Corbin, a lifelong Yankees fan, would take a discount to don the pinstripes. Might as well just Photoshop the interlocking NY on his profile pic right now.

UPDATE: Of course. Corbin went ahead and signed with the Nationals, per Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post.

Per Jon Morosi, the Brewers have touched base with the Yankees about Sonny Gray. He also reported that the Reds are open to trading for Corey Kluber or Trevor Bauer. One last trade note from Morosi: The Cardinals have worked on a potential Paul Goldschmidt deal with Arizona.

It’s a little deflating to see similar teams/markets like Milwaukee, Cincinnati and St. Louis in on these players. I can accept the fact that certain teams can outspend the Twins, I can accept the fact that some guys with no-trade authority aren’t going to be interested in coming to Minnesota, but stuff like this is more difficult to swallow. The Reds lost 95 games last season, for Pete’s sake.

The Twins haven’t made many changes to the roster so far this offseason, but there have been a ton of moves in terms of who will be covering the team. Rhett Bollinger is returning home to California to cover the Angels for MLB.com, replacing him will be Do-Hyoung Park (@dohyoungpark on Twitter). Also, the Pioneer Press finally has its replacement for Mike Berardino. Betsy Helfand (@betsyhelfand on Twitter) will step in as their beat writer. Both Park and Helfand start their new jobs this coming Sunday.

Speaking of Rhett, he took a look at middle infielders on the free agent market who could make sense for the Twins. A lot of the names that have already been bandied about are listed, but he also included Jonathan Schoop and Tim Beckham, who were just non-tendered late last week.

Mr. Bollinger also looked back at the 10 biggest trades in Twins history. It’s a fun list to go through, but an interesting takeaway is that there aren’t any deals included from the past decade. It kinda feels like the Twins are due to make a big swap.

The MLB.com trio of Mike Rosenbaum, Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo identified one prospect from each team who could be traded this winter. Kind of a weird exercise, but OK. They listed Luis Arraez for the Twins, who they have as the team’s No. 15 prospect. Strictly in terms of value, Arraez is pretty similar to where Jermaine Palacios was a year ago. He’s a prospect, there are certainly things to like about him, but at the same time he’s a guy you can afford to lose from your system if it means upgrading the big club. Palacios was sent to Tampa in the Jake Odorizzi deal last February.

Not a big fan of the Pohlads? It could be worse. Over at the STrib, Michael Rand shared that Donald Watkins has been indicted on federal fraud charges. Watkins tried to buy the Twins back in 2001.

Cliff Corcoran is ranking every MLB uniform over at The Athletic. He puts the Twins 27th in front of only the Astros, Padres and Diamondbacks. He’s got some very strong takes, saying the Twins sullied a classic design and that the gold drop shadow desecrated arguably the best cap in baseball.

Click here to view the article
  • nicksaviking likes this

#2 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:13 PM

This is the 2nd most depressing time of the year to be a Twins fan.I would at least like them to be in the bidding for some of the top players but from everything I have read it is not going to happen again!It will be wait until 2020 and so on an so on.Yes not much has happened but we are not even in the talks!The most depressing time is July when we are already out of it and sending our "stars" away. 

• Jerr, Mike Sixel and mikelink45 like this

#3 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:27 PM

Couldn't agree more on his take of the Twins uniforms.  That gold has to go.  Also I would love for us to bring back a version of our gray pinstripes from our glory years.  The current away unis are roughly the same as the Braves and Indians, with gray, a little red and a little navy.

• Twins33, caninatl04 and Original Whizzinator like this

#4 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

Hey.... we got JC Cron... or is it CJ Cron? Whatever. And his 89 career homers come with him! Morrison redux on the even cheaper, and as a cast off and not even a free agent! And then gave him a contract instead of arbitration! That is some clever shopping. Who needs stars when there is the waiver wire? And we have prospects. Always prospects.

Edited by h2oface, 04 December 2018 - 05:15 PM.

• Lunger and mikelink45 like this

#5 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:09 PM

CROM! :)
  • Mike Sixel and MN_ExPat like this

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,553 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:23 PM

Good to see Do-Hyoung Park and Betsy Helfand both come back to the Twin Cities. Both of them interned under Rhett for MLB.com in recent years. 

• Sarah and caninatl04 like this

#7 snotboogie

snotboogie

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Location3 miles from Twins World Domination Headquarters

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:27 PM

CROM! :)

He's a perfectly cromulent player.

• birdwatcher, PseudoSABR, TheLeviathan and 1 other like this

#8 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:46 PM

I do not know if we should have moved on anything yet, but all the coach maneuvers are not about to excite the fan base, if they care about the fan base. 

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,266 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:17 PM

The coaching moves are interesting, given at least two coaches hired by Falvey & Levine (Alston, Pickler) have already moved on. Not necessarily a bad thing, but would be interesting to know the meaning.

I give the front office about a 1:3 chance of doing a big move just to do a move, and getting the typical praise and criticism (me) for it, regardless of its merits :) Otherwise I will again predict a quiet and frugal offseason.

#10 071063

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:54 AM

I know everyone wants the Twins to be making moves because that is fun and exciting.But realistically, as of today, I don;t think this team is ready to compete this year.So much of this teams success is going to depend on whether Buxton and Sano can take the next step.If not, then they will probably be looking at a slight rebuild waiting for Kirilloff and Lewis.As of today, I think patience is the right approach and I applaud them.Wait for a good deal but don;t do something stupid that negatively effects the club when you are ready to win.

• Bill Lumbergh, caninatl04 and MN_ExPat like this

#11 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:21 AM

I know everyone wants the Twins to be making moves because that is fun and exciting.But realistically, as of today, I don;t think this team is ready to compete this year.So much of this teams success is going to depend on whether Buxton and Sano can take the next step.If not, then they will probably be looking at a slight rebuild waiting for Kirilloff and Lewis.As of today, I think patience is the right approach and I applaud them.Wait for a good deal but don;t do something stupid that negatively effects the club when you are ready to win.

and if Buxton and Sano live up to or exceed expectations and the Twins didn't do anything because they were being patient, they wasted another year.

The Twins should be planning on Sano and Buxton being good and build around that or if they are worried then clean house and rebuild for 2021/2022.

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, birdwatcher and 8 others like this

#12 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:30 AM

This is the logic that escapes many of us. Either those guys come through or they don't. If you take the bet that they turn things around, then you surround them with adequate support. If you bet they won't, you find a taker who will and move them. The least efficacious strategy is to watch them finally put it together and THEN invest in supporting players. They have the wherewithal to fill the half dozen gaping holes right now with unexciting but perfectly cromulent players because all the options are there via FA.

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 4 others like this

#13 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:04 AM

There are players out there who could help this club and Twins have the payroll space to handle them. 

If you do not want to spend money on a middle infielder install Arraez at 2B and spend your money in pitching.

This club's offseason needs some excitement, so create some.Twins need some to move the needle on ticket sales.

#14 hybridbear

hybridbear

Realistic Member

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • LocationNicaragua

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:38 AM

Where's Berardino going?

#15 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:46 AM

Where's Berardino going?

He actually left a bit before the season ended. He's now with the Indianapolis Star, primarily covering Notre Dame football.

#16 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:45 AM

This is the 2nd most depressing time of the year to be a Twins fan.I would at least like them to be in the bidding for some of the top players but from everything I have read it is not going to happen again!It will be wait until 2020 and so on an so on.Yes not much has happened but we are not even in the talks!The most depressing time is July when we are already out of it and sending our "stars" away. 

By stars, you mean the 2 month rentals? I believe they may do that again at this year's deadline. I see us getting another haul.

• caninatl04 likes this

#17 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:22 AM

Every year they are NOT ready to compete.That is most of my point.2020 now and next year it will be 2021 because a couple of people won't work out.This is like year 10 of NOT getting the great competitive team we were PROMISED with a new stadium!

Edited by BBAM, 05 December 2018 - 11:25 AM.

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 1 other like this

#18 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:27 AM

By stars, you mean the 2 month rentals? I believe they may do that again at this year's deadline. I see us getting another haul.

No, I mean a Bryce Harper or at least be in the race to get that kind of player.All we get a players like Cron where we can speculate IF he is as good at last year or 10 years ago.....blah blah blah!

Edited by BBAM, 05 December 2018 - 11:28 AM.

#19 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:22 PM

Every year they are NOT ready to compete.That is most of my point.2020 now and next year it will be 2021 because a couple of people won't work out.This is like year 10 of NOT getting the great competitive team we were PROMISED with a new stadium!

Yeah, but this is year three with the new front office. The front office that signed the #9, #15, #16 and #49 free agents last year.

• birdwatcher and Monkeypaws like this

#20 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:44 PM

I agree that this is the most frustrating time of year.Ideally, the front office would leak one potential trade each day which we "experts" could dissect like a fetal pig.But, alas, with the possible exception of next Friday's Rule 5, I honestly don't think we will much to chew on until late January.

Sigh.

Maybe someone with too much time could post updates on Twins in the Winter leagues!