Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Vikings Journal Forums

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Bizzarre Indians-Tigers Appeal Play

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

On Saturday, there was sequence in which Quintin Berry (who is 19-19 in SB attempts this year) stole a base TRYING to get caught. And he did - except he did it during time out, so it didn't count. SO HE DID IT AGAIN. And the best part is it all makes perfect sense. It was a borderline brilliant move to save a run that had scored. The story is here:

http://detroit.tiger...ws_det&c_id=det

Edited by John Bonnes, 17 September 2012 - 04:55 PM.
fixed link

#2 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Interesting. Probably won't come across a play like that for a while. I never have up to this point in my career of watching/following baseball. A very smart play by the Tigers even though it did not work out.

#3 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Very interesting, I was racking my brain and couldn't think of any possible scenario in which a baserunner would want to get thrown out stealing on purpose. Very heads-up managing by the Tigers!

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

That was some on-the-spot decision making by Gene Lamont.

Obviously that call isn't indicative of managerial success, but it has always seemed strange to me that Lamont has never gotten another gig as the head honcho. We was at the helm when the White Sox had their resurgance in the early 1990's then failed, just as everyone else did, managing the Pirates since Barry Bonds left.

#5 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Delmon Young knocked in three of the Tigers' four runs with a pair of singles on Monday.

Young has been a star against the White Sox in his career, hitting .333 with 13 homers and 54 RBI in 294 at-bats. That's one homer every 23 at-bats. He's hit .264 and averaged one homer every 40 at-bats against everyone else.

#6 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,313 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:17 AM

Delmon Young knocked in three of the Tigers' four runs with a pair of singles on Monday.

Young has been a star against the White Sox in his career, hitting .333 with 13 homers and 54 RBI in 294 at-bats. That's one homer every 23 at-bats. He's hit .264 and averaged one homer every 40 at-bats against everyone else.

http://www.rotoworld...e=378399&spln=1

Let me help you out here, I know it's difficult.

#7 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

Wow. Heads up all around... except for Avila. How did he manage not to touch the base?