Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Where Can the Twins Find Some OBP for Their Lineup?

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#121 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,221 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:21 AM

I love the new statistical evaluation methods used today, but they have limits. To argue Harper does not make this team better and more exciting to watch illustrates the limits.

Has anyone run any metrics on Kirby Puckett and Kent Hrbek lately. Please explain to me why they heck they won 2!

baseball is a team sport with a championship predicated in transitioning from 162 game season to a 5 game season followed by a 7 game season, followed by a seven game season. Post season metrics are a very small sample size for individual players

Edited by Sconnie, 26 January 2019 - 08:23 AM.

#122 Kirbek

Kirbek

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:06 PM

That's not what I asked.
Of course he would make the team better.
I'm asking why he would make the pitchers pitch better. He's not a defensive upgrade. So what about his presence on the team would make the pitchers perform better?

I understand your point.I disagree with the question.It's about wins and losses.Harper=more wins.Metrics can prove what the designer wants.Wins are wins.

I once knew a man from Nantucket.  He too was a fan of Kirby Puckett.

#123 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:58 PM

I understand your point. I disagree with the question. It's about wins and losses. Harper=more wins. Metrics can prove what the designer wants. Wins are wins.

I'm not arguing that. Harper would bring the team more wins, I'd love if they signed him.

I was responding to this:

"If we have a chance to get Harper, we should take it.Period.He makes all our pitchers better."

Harper is a great hitter, but not much of a fielder. Just trying to get an idea of what you meant here.

#124 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,099 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:00 AM

I'm not arguing that. Harper would bring the team more wins, I'd love if they signed him.

I was responding to this:

"If we have a chance to get Harper, we should take it.Period.He makes all our pitchers better."

Harper is a great hitter, but not much of a fielder. Just trying to get an idea of what you meant here.

There's a school of thought in aeronautical engineering that if your wing design isn't developing enough lift then get a bigger jet engine and the wing will be just fine. :)

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

#125 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,751 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:55 AM

Actually, outside one season where he was injured, Harper has been a decent to good fielder. But in general, I agree, he's not a difference maker on defense.

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....