Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Where Can the Twins Find Some OBP for Their Lineup?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:15 AM

The Twins are probably relying on a bunch of obp coming from players already on the roster.

Buxton's 2017 started so impossibly bad but he hit .274/.335/.448 from the end of April on. That would be a big improvement over last year's CFers who posted a .293 OBP.

Twins are probably hoping that Sano gets back to the .350 OBP guy he was his first three years with us.  

Kepler has pretty good walk rates (and power, too) but his babip is criminally low. If he can get his babip closer to .300, his OBP will look pretty respectable. 

But, realistically, the Twins are building the offense around these guys and these guys need to step up, like Polanco and Rosario have. They can make some moves around the margins but unless they are going to spend more than the Pohlad's have ever indicated before, the significant change is going to be with those three guys.

Also, I think we should sign Cruz to DH.

• birdwatcher, Twins33, markos and 5 others like this

#22 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

If Rosario could play an average 2B, the Twins could put McCutchen in LF fortwo years, at which time AK will be ready for OF, Lewis will be ready for SS, Sano will be ready for 1B, and Polonco can move to 3B. And if a mouse had wings, he could fly.

• glunn likes this

#23 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:41 AM

Lets work on our own hitters. Forget the launch angle and start working on the contact skill and an eye for the strike zone.The players listed will not lift the team.This is a challenge and it is an important one, but we have to hope our new gurus fix it internally. 

Lets work on our own hitters. Forget the launch angle and start working on the contact skill and an eye for the strike zone.The players listed will not lift the team.This is a challenge and it is an important one, but we have to hope our new gurus fix it internally. 

I was just going to say this. Launch angle and all these new metrics are garbage. They may be fine for power hitters but not for everyone. A little more patience at the plate and hitting the ball where it's pitched to would help.

The biggest thing that has killed me lately that the "professional hitters" can't beat a shift. A half swing for a lefty where the 3rd basemen is supposed to play is an easy double.

• glunn, peterb18 and gman like this

#24 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:45 AM

I was just going to say this. Launch angle and all these new metrics are garbage. They may be fine for power hitters but not for everyone. A little more patience at the plate and hitting the ball where it's pitched to would help.

The problem is that one is teachable and one really isn't. You can tweak a guy's swing and try to generate better contact results; you can't exactly tell a guy "be more patient" and watch him take more walks. For the most part, people are who they are as hitters. 

• glunn, howieramone2, gagu and 1 other like this

#25 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:50 AM

If Rosario could play an average 2B, the Twins could put McCutchen in LF fortwo years, at which time AK will be ready for OF, Lewis will be ready for SS, Sano will be ready for 1B, and Polonco can move to 3B. And if a mouse had wings, he could fly.

Didn't they try that when he was in the minors?

#26 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:52 AM

One more time for the people in the back...

DdAXYSiVMAAo5SB.jpg

• USAFChief, glunn, birdwatcher and 5 others like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#27 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:13 AM

If Rosario is going to be moved to the IF, I think it would be third at this point.

• glunn, Sconnie and Original Whizzinator like this

#28 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:03 AM

Just pay Harper, please.

Also, Nelly Cruz would be huge for that lineup. 

#29 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:10 AM

Those are the players that only cost money, and not prospects, to get better. What is the alternative? A bad team, and more money in the owner's pocket?

No, giving opportunities to young players like Brent Rooker or Nick Gordon, and keeping the payroll flexible for when the Twins are actually competitive.Why commit money to players that will be here today, not really do much, and then be gone tomorrow.

None of these guys are going to swing the needle much so why not lose while developing and evaulating the prospects?

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:11 AM

Pay for power, develop OBP guys. There are internal options with the OB potential. LaMonte Wade has always been a guy to draw walks and limit Ks.
  • ChrisKnutson and d-mac like this

#31 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:12 AM

78 wins in 2019?Wooooohooo. 

#32 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:17 AM

No, giving opportunities to young players like Brent Rooker or Nick Gordon, and keeping the payroll flexible for when the Twins are actually competitive.Why commit money to players that will be here today, not really do much, and then be gone tomorrow.

None of these guys are going to swing the needle much so why not lose while developing and evaulating the prospects?

This is a weirdly defeatist attitude. The AL Central is going to be eminently there for the taking next year, and the Twins should be right in the thick if Buxton & Sano rebound. I'm not sure I understand tanking while staking your future on unspectacular prospects like Rooker and Gordon. Sounds like a recipe for remaining in the perpetual cycle of rebuilding.

There are moves on this list that align with a long-term thinking. Bour and LeMahieu are 30. McCutchen would be helpful on a 3-year deal, creating veteran entrenchment. If these kinds of players are holding prospects back any time soon, it's a good problem to have.  

• birdwatcher, brvama, Winston Smith and 4 others like this

#33 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:22 AM

Because losing sucks!

• kab21 and SF Twins Fan like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#34 djvang

djvang

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:24 PM

No doubt that we’re in need of two high OBP guys, but I don’t want the very same empty OBP that both Mauer and Grossman provided. What we need are guys who not only get on-base, but can hit the ball with some authority, which is why I’m still holding out hope that the FO can come to their senses and sign both Cruz and Lowrie.

It was always disappointing when Mauer would work a walk with RISP.How about trying to drive in a run once in awhile? They need to be more aggressive at the plate.

• darin617 and ChrisKnutson like this

#35 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:56 PM

It was always disappointing when Mauer would work a walk with RISP.How about trying to drive in a run once in awhile? They need to be more aggressive at the plate.

Are you suggesting he swing at balls? Mauer has one of the highest batting averages with RISP in modern MLB history so criticizing him on this front seems off base. 

This team ain't lacking for guys who will reach for one and try to drive in a run. 

• Twins33, bluechipper, gagu and 3 others like this

#36 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:58 PM

If Rosario is going to be moved to the IF, I think it would be third at this point.

Yeah, don't waste that arm at 2nd base.....

• glunn and Original Whizzinator like this

#37 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:00 PM

Regarding McCutchen and his BB rate. It is worth noting that for most of his career he had zero protection around him. Quick, without looking name any other Pirate all star hitter during his tenure.

McCutchen drew a dozen intentional walks three times as a Pirate. Keep in mind, he hit third almost all the time. So, someone walked him to bring up a 4th place hitter. Frequently. I’m sure his plate discipline is better than most, but I would expect his BB rate to decline if he were in the middle of a good offensive team simply because teams would be less inclined to pitch around him. Of course, whether or not the 2019 Twins will be a good offensive team is still undetermined.
  • glunn likes this

#38 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:17 PM

I vacillate between Gonzalez on a 4yr deal and Lowrie on a 2yr deal to man 2B. Both offer offense and flexibility. Obviously, Gonzalez is younger, even more flexible position wise, but Lowrie would probably provide the higher OB. Really torn.

I've been banging the drum for McCutchen for weeks now. He provides hitting, OB, power and decent defense for the next 2-3yrs. Too many Of? Especially with 2 1B/DH types, a couple utility guys, and maybe even another guy brought to camp like Solarte? I dont see it that way. Someone can start in the minors. Someone could be hurt. Someone could be traded.

Can you really have too much talent and too much depth? Get the guys on the roster and let Rocco and his staff figure out how to use them.
  • glunn, Twins33, Danchat and 1 other like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#39 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:27 PM

I get what you’re saying, but when you’ve got two all-star veterans like Lowrie and Cruz readily available for a relatively affordable price ($60M total), mixed in with fact that Cleveland is “retooling,” why not sign them? Could it possibly be for naught? Sure, but it also could win us the division.
  • birdwatcher, Twins33, brvama and 1 other like this

#40 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,582 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:32 PM

so, yes, have a bad team and more profit....while Buxton and Sano just, what, use all their service time in a lost cause?

I like Gordon, but he's not ready. I doubt they think Rooker is close, or they wouldn't bring in Cron. 

I'm not sure how acquiring players on 2-3 year deals hinders payroll, if you don't think they'll be good fro 2-3 years. Help me understand.

• Twins33, brvama and SF Twins Fan like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.