Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Non-Tender Tracker: Avisail, Schoop Among Those to Become Free Agents

avisail garcia matt davidson wilmer flores blake parker robbie grossman
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,966 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

Why does Adrianaza have a deal for 2019 while Tim Beckham has been non-tendered?

Wouldn't Beckham fill the current Adrianaza role better than Adrianaza has/does or will? 

• markos likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#22 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:58 AM

Sign Hamilton, two man outfield, shift the whole league to death.
  • Riverbrian, h2oface, ChrisKnutson and 1 other like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#23 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:24 AM

Sign Hamilton, two man outfield, shift the whole league to death.

You might be tongue in cheek here, but I’m intrigued. Take someone with a Mauer hitting profile. Stick Rosario behind and deeper than the traditional second baseman position and slide your second baseman over toward the bag for the up the middle shots. First, short, and third don’t move. Then play Buxton in center-right, and Hamilton in left field. How much would Mauer hit then?

Edit: I wanted to add that Rosario is your second key (or a Marwin Gonzalez / Zach Cozart type) because he can play the infield, having spent a lot of minors time at second base, plus we know he can slide right back into the outfield too.

Edited by 70charger, 03 December 2018 - 03:25 AM.

#24 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:04 AM

You might be tongue in cheek here, but I’m intrigued. Take someone with a Mauer hitting profile. Stick Rosario behind and deeper than the traditional second baseman position and slide your second baseman over toward the bag for the up the middle shots. First, short, and third don’t move. Then play Buxton in center-right, and Hamilton in left field. How much would Mauer hit then?

Edit: I wanted to add that Rosario is your second key (or a Marwin Gonzalez / Zach Cozart type) because he can play the infield, having spent a lot of minors time at second base, plus we know he can slide right back into the outfield too.

I was also thinking of options like this and was coming up with something similar.

There's gotta be a software out there that draws a circle around each defender showing the radius they can cover and that can be superimposed upon a hitter's spray chart. It would be fun to play with.

Similarly, I wonder if it would make sense to play Hamilton and Buxton in left and right so they could cover foul line to alley and make CF small enough that a slower guy could cover it.

Or with Rosario, he could play a very shallow to take away singles and allow the SS and 2B to split wider to shrink the 5.5 and 3.5 holes.

(Of course, maybe it would make sense to have Buxton be the shallow guy so that he's farther away from any walls!)

#25 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:44 AM

As far as Schoop is concerned, just more evidence that the days of the long term contract should be in the rear view mirror and that includes the Bryce Harpers. Who ever signs him for what he (his agent) thinks he is worth will be more than disappointed.

As far as the Twins are concerned, as Tom wrote, "All in all, it was a good day for the Twins. The rest of the division got a little worse on the whole and the free agent pool got a little deeper."

In the Garfield comic strip today, Garfield's owner says, "Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing". To which Garfield replies. "You are preaching to the choir."

#26 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,966 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:29 AM

I like the idea of Schoop but only the idea of Schoop playing like he is supposed to which he hasn’t been doung. Signing Schoop is fine with me but only as a replacement for Adrianaza and Schoop will have to beat a legit candidate for playing time out.

Beckham remains the guy from the non tenders who could be a sensible replacement for Adrianaza. His floor is close to Adrianaza’s ceiling but Beckham Ceiling is much much higher.
  • nicksaviking and DocBauer like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#27 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:33 AM

I like the idea of Schoop but only the idea of Schoop playing like he is supposed to which he hasn’t been doung. Signing Schoop is fine with me but only as a replacement for Adrianaza and Schoop will have to beat a legit candidate for playing time out.

Beckham remains the guy from the non tenders who could be a sensible replacement for Adrianaza. His floor is close to Adrianaza’s ceiling but Beckham Ceiling is much much higher.

I'd take Tim Beckham as the utility/injury replacement guy.

But I'm also the resident "screw defense" guy and I don't think he's particularly good at any position, so I'd guess others are turned off by his glove.

#28 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,966 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:42 AM

I'd take Tim Beckham as the utility/injury replacement guy.

But I'm also the resident "screw defense" guy and I don't think he's particularly good at any position, so I'd guess others are turned off by his glove.

With defense it depends on which year you are looking at. He wasn’t strong last year but the year before he was fine.

In my opinion... he is at least adequate across the infield.

Founded 4-23-16 

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

They already signed Adrianza to a guaranteed contract.
I get it's not a lot, but they didn't have to, and they did, so they aren't cutting him now.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,966 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:37 PM

They already signed Adrianza to a guaranteed contract.
I get it's not a lot, but they didn't have to, and they did, so they aren't cutting him now.

Yeah I know but I still have dreams.:)

• Mike Sixel likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#31 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:23 PM

I was also thinking of options like this and was coming up with something similar.

There's gotta be a software out there that draws a circle around each defender showing the radius they can cover and that can be superimposed upon a hitter's spray chart. It would be fun to play with.

Similarly, I wonder if it would make sense to play Hamilton and Buxton in left and right so they could cover foul line to alley and make CF small enough that a slower guy could cover it.

Or with Rosario, he could play a very shallow to take away singles and allow the SS and 2B to split wider to shrink the 5.5 and 3.5 holes.

(Of course, maybe it would make sense to have Buxton be the shallow guy so that he's farther away from any walls!)

I'd do it just to trigger the Reusse types

#32 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

As far as Schoop is concerned, just more evidence that the days of the long term contract should be in the rear view mirror and that includes the Bryce Harpers. Who ever signs him for what he (his agent) thinks he is worth will be more than disappointed.

As far as the Twins are concerned, as Tom wrote, "All in all, it was a good day for the Twins. The rest of the division got a little worse on the whole and the free agent pool got a little deeper."
In the Garfield comic strip today, Garfield's owner says, "Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing". To which Garfield replies. "You are preaching to the choir."

That Garfield, I tell ya. How do they manage to keep their material so fresh?
  • Mike Sixel and TheLeviathan like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#33 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,564 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:52 PM

That Garfield, I tell ya. How do they manage to keep their material so fresh?

blue buffalo cat litter

#34 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:19 PM

Granted I have no idea what Beckham would cost, but despite his non-tender status, couldn't he be viewed more as a so-so starter with other options out there and Adrianza as more of the true "utility" player?

I'm completely on board with the best, deepest, most versatile roster I can put together. But not everyone is an every day player. I'm of the opinion you find the best SS/2B you can for this team. And then I'd look really hard for depth and competition. For example, our old friend Solarte, if affordable, could be a great addition. But I wouldn't sign him to be a starter. Could Beckham be a similar player depending on how the market plays out?

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#35 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,966 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:32 AM

Granted I have no idea what Beckham would cost, but despite his non-tender status, couldn't he be viewed more as a so-so starter with other options out there and Adrianza as more of the true "utility" player?

I'm completely on board with the best, deepest, most versatile roster I can put together. But not everyone is an every day player. I'm of the opinion you find the best SS/2B you can for this team. And then I'd look really hard for depth and competition. For example, our old friend Solarte, if affordable, could be a great addition. But I wouldn't sign him to be a starter. Could Beckham be a similar player depending on how the market plays out?

When you say not everyone is an everyday player.

What if Polanco gets suspended or the 2B signed to an FA deal hits .200? What is Adrianza if our starting SS this year? What if the one of the "starters" gets hurt? 

If Cron and Austin remain on the roster... the role that Adrianza is going to play will increase 10 fold as a result. 

Founded 4-23-16 

#36 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:09 AM

Looking at Schoop’s track record, he has posted four seasons in the minors and two seasons in the majors of at least 780 OPS. He had a bad year last year, but he’s still very young and looks like an excellent bounce back candidate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: avisail garcia, matt davidson, wilmer flores, blake parker, robbie grossman