Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Thought Exercise: What Would You Give For Cano & Diaz?

robinson cano edwin diaz
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:09 AM

Cano has been a MVP candidate 7 of the last 9 years and was on his way last year and a WAR of 53.8, so of course the Twins don't need him.

Well that 9 years part should be a red flag, most ball players don't make it that long.

I think Cano can still be useful, but not at that price tag and prospect cost, you could get his production for much less. Jeff McNeil was their 2B down the stretch last year, he hit as well as Cano did and he's ten years younger.

• SwainZag likes this

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:11 AM

I love how Carole and nick liked my post as I completely changed it......

Well whatever it was before, I agree with it now. I think this year's free agent relief class is a goldmine.

• Mike Sixel and Major League Ready like this

#23 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:32 AM

If we are really on the path to the WS, it is still 2 years away (probably 3 or 4) and where would Cano be at that time - ask the Angels about big contracts for once great players.This is a NO all the way, but thanks for asking.

• gagu likes this

#24 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:40 AM

If we are really on the path to the WS, it is still 2 years away (probably 3 or 4) and where would Cano be at that time - ask the Angels about big contracts for once great players.This is a NO all the way, but thanks for asking.

I actually thought Cano may be able to age better than most since he has very good on base skills, but Albert Pujols is a good example to the contrary. His lessened bat skills wouldn't be nearly as noticeable if he was still able to work a count to draw a walk. That seems pretty uncommon, but I guess not unheard of.

• mikelink45 likes this

#25 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:42 AM

On the flip side, ask the A's, Brewers, Royals and Orioles what it is like to have a reliever with a sub-2.00 ERA and a 40%+ strikeout rate. A team can pencil over a lot of roster issues if the back end of the bullpen basically stops giving up runs.

#26 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:49 AM

On the flip side, ask the A's, Brewers, Royals and Orioles what it is like to have a reliever with a sub-2.00 ERA and a 40%+ strikeout rate. A team can pencil over a lot of roster issues if the back end of the bullpen basically stops giving up runs.

I would take the reliever- but not the Cano baggage. 

#27 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:50 AM

twins would be better off talking joe mauer outa retirement. which isn't a very good idea, either.

#28 djvang

djvang

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:51 AM

Cano? Nothing. Bad seed.

• Doctor Wu likes this

#29 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:59 AM

I would take the reliever- but not the Cano baggage. 

Sure, but the reliever on his own probably costs Kirilloff or Lewis. Cano+Diaz costs maybe Nick Gordon.

#30 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:07 AM

My two cents about a hypothetical Cano-Diaz trade.

Cano+Diaz is roughly value neutral. Diaz's surplus value basically cancels Cano's underwater deal.

I'd ask for $45M from the Mariners to offset some of Cano's salary, but I'd specificly require it to be spread across years 2021-2023. So Cano's contract essentially would become:

2-yr, $48M deal

3-yr, $27M deal

In return, I'd send Nick Gordon and one of Meija, Stewart, Gonsalves, Thorpe.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#31 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:13 AM

Sure, but the reliever on his own probably costs Kirilloff or Lewis. Cano+Diaz costs maybe Nick Gordon.

I understand, but I would trade potential before being stuck with obvious and expensive regression in Cano.

#32 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:31 PM

I just want to point out that, per Bleacher Report, the Mariners have the worst farm system:

https://bleacherrepo...018-milb-season

So, if their fire sale continues, the Twins would be a good partner.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#33 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

Still have a hard time believing that a 1-2 inning guy like Diaz (and Cano’s contract) is worth any of Kirilloff, Graterol, Lewis, or Romero. Hypothetically, my highest offer to Dipoto would’ve been Gonsalves, Arraez, Celestino, and Duran. And depending on how the talks are progressing, I might make Javier, Gordon, and Enlow available too.
  • mikelink45 likes this

#34 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:38 PM

Well, an aging first-baseman/DH who costs 24M and OPS+'s 115 (realistic expectation for Cano in 2019) is better than what we've had. And I'd love to have Diaz...so, I would have liked a shot at doing that deal. I would have given up about what the Mets did. Which is not much. (I assume, once named, the prospects will be of the Thorpe/Gordon/Gonsalves/Stewart/Rooker ilk...if not, I think they gave up more than they needed to.)

Coming off an 89-win season, the Mariners part ways with one of their best young players...for the sole purpose of getting out from under a long-term contract.Not a great look for the game.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#35 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:48 PM

Here is the roto projection for Cano in 2019 - and remember he will be going down from here on.  http://rotoprofessor...seball/?p=34410

#36 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:50 PM

Not sure what a Twins package would’ve looked like. I do believe they could’ve sent lesser prospects than what the Mets did, with Twins not needing to send back a bad contract like Bruce or Swarzy. But here it goes; Kepler + Reed + Gordon + Stewart.
Cave makes Kepler expendable, Reed = Swarzy , Arraez > Gordon, and Stewart = meh.

#37 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:04 PM

The Twins absolutely should stay away from players with talent and big salaries and pin their hope on prospects, that way the fans always have hope for future.

Being against silly deals for guys like Cano is as dumb as hoping every prospect pans out.You are playing both ends against the middle.

It is stunning how many of these threads have surfaced lately...

Bumgarner, Cano, Grienke???

It almost feels like people want big names just to say we got a big name

#38 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:10 PM

Being against silly deals for guys like Cano is as dumb as hoping every prospect pans out.You are playing both ends against the middle.

It is stunning how many of these threads have surfaced lately...

Bumgarner, Cano, Grienke???

It almost feels like people want big names just to say we got a big name

I'm old enough to remember the Sears Christmas catalog. When it came it was I want that and that and that.... 

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#39 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,000 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:12 PM

You can never fail when your goal is always three years from today.

You can never fail when your goal is always three years from today.

You said that three years ago, too.

• USAFChief, Sconnie and tvagle like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#40 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,153 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:50 PM

You said that three years ago, too.

To the minute, apparently.

Consistency....the hobgoblin of small minds.
  • ashburyjohn, Puckett34, Sconnie and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: robinson cano, edwin diaz