Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Arbitration Decisions Looming

jake odorizzi kyle gibson miguel sano byron buxton max kepler
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:32 PM

Pretty much the only reason that a team wouldn't offer arbitration to a starter like Odorizzi is if they had an absolutely stacked rotation where there was a better option. His stats are unimpressive but nothing kills a season faster than having 2-3 revolving doors in the rotation.

I am not a huge Ordorizzi fan.

But he was 26th in the American league in innings, 20th in K's, 24th in ERA, and 49th in WAR (including relief pitchers)

in 2018 that that places him in a low end #2 or high end #3 role in the American league, I find it interesting on how Twins fans some how magically think the twins prospects are going to be anywhere close to as good as that, history shows that doesn't happen.

I also find it interesting with all the stats out there, no one wants to look one of the most important ones and that is the percentage of prospects that don't live up to the hype.

• brvama, Kelly Vance, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#42 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:36 PM

I am not a huge Ordorizzi fan.
But he was 26th in the American league in innings, 20th in K's, 24th in ERA, and 49th in WAR (including relief pitchers)
in 2018 that that places him in a low end #2 or high end #3 role in the American league, I find it interesting on how Twins fans some how magically think the twins prospects are going to be anywhere close to as good as that, history shows that doesn't happen.
I also find it interesting with all the stats out there, no one wants to look one of the most important ones and that is the percentage of prospects that don't live up to the hype.

I think many fans got sick of how many times he reached 100 pitches in the 5th inning. Plus there was a stretch over the summer where many of us wanted him demoted due to a few short starts... the lack of good starters makes Odorizzi look better than he actually pitched, but I will concede that he is a asset they should retain.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#43 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,553 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:13 PM

Robbie Grossman was non-tendered.

Along with Adrianza, the Twins also reached a deal with CJ Cron at $4.8 million. 

The other eight players were all tendered 2019 contracts. 

#44 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

C.j. Cron signing I believe will be another signing similar to last years Morrison signing by this front office the stat numbers look great but when we get on the field his numbers won't hold up for the Twins. I find it ironic that same club had both these players and both times they just let them go even with there stats line. This telling me if Tampa is not willing to sign them again with the numbers they had it means there's something they know more about the players and it probably not going to be good signing. This Front office is all about numbers but you also have sight evaluation of the players too.I think people here are so already sold on couple of players here for next year and my impression is we had short sample size for these players to already being ready to project them as future stars. The first is Cave he hit for average but I look at his major league numbers one thing that pops out to me is that he struck out nearly 1/3 of time with his at bats up with the Twins. If you would put it in full season he will strike out nearly as many times as Sano has been striking out. I just can't see how Twins have the at bats for type of hitter Cave is with that kind of strike out rate. Austin is other player he hits for power but that's about it he doesn't get on base much otherwise has low on base percentage he doesn't walk much you have all or nothing hitter. Probably why NY game up on him he needs work and they have plenty other candidates in the wings and I believe same to be true with the Twins. I just don't see how we have improved our selves with these moves for the coming year we have team to me is way to loaded with strike out potential all way through the line up. The loss of Grossman to me is who in this Twins line up can give you a professional at bat now. The two best we have is Polanco and Kepler and if the fans have there way Kepler would be gone now because he hasn't improved as much as everyone though he might this past year. Everyone thinks your past your prime if you haven't reached it by 25 but truth is most players don't hit there prime until 27 to 32 years in the majors. Look at Hicks it took to his 27 year to breakout become the star we thought he would when we drafted him. The sad thing there is we didn't get the playerback in trade because we were looking for catcher to fit are financials and one that had team control. Here again the numbers looked good for small sample size but didn't prove out when we played regularly. I just don't see where were improving this club at the major league level it may be better down in lower parts of the organization but we still won't know for number years on this either. I don't think were going to sign much for free agents this winter either were in holding pattern to determine where Sano and Buxton are before any investment is made in this club.   

#45 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:31 PM

Thank you Robbie Grossman. Once a Twin, always a Twin. I appreciate your efforts. Good luck in your future endeavors with another team(s). 

• USAFChief likes this

#46 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:07 PM

Grossman has a long track record of solid on base skills. You don’t need to value that skill but partial season slash stat splits are not enough sample to support an different conclusion. He can get on base. That skill has value. He might not bring enough other value but I don’t see many guys on this team that will work a count and draw a walk.

If the plan is to bring in a guy with power and on base skills I am all in.

Ironically, one guy who does that pretty well is also a guy that many on this forum want benched: Max Kepler. His BB rate was second only to Grossman’s. His K rate was also lowest among all Twins hitters with more than 25 at bats except for Willians Astudillo.
  • jorgenswest, birdwatcher, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#47 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:33 PM

Ironically, one guy who does that pretty well is also a guy that many on this forum want benched: Max Kepler. His BB rate was second only to Grossman’s. His K rate was also lowest among all Twins hitters with more than 25 at bats except for Willians Astudillo.

A great point.

I'm a Kepler fan and hopeful believer. In my mind, all that talent and potential is just about to break out and we'll see even splits, with power, and discipline.

I could see him hit anywhere from 1-6 depending on final roster construction. I get we're unsure yet, and he could be a nice piece in a trade. But I'm hopeful he is back and we see in 2019 what he can be.
  • tarheeltwinsfan and rdehring like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#48 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:21 AM

Looking at the Steamer projections, Kepler is projected for the most WAR among the batters and has a WOBA projection second on the team following Cron. I definitely am not in favor of benching Kepler for the same reason I was hopeful about Hicks. It is really hard to improve the plate discipline skill at the major league level. Hicks had that skill and needed to learn how to jump on pitches he could attack rather than work the count every time. Kepler is in that same place.
  • birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, kyle gibson, miguel sano, byron buxton, max kepler