Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Claim 1B CJ Cron

cj cron
  • Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#41 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:48 PM

Same reason why we fear Scott Boras clients... Irrational feelings. I'm not going to trust people from Tampa coming off career seasons. There's probably a valid reason why they're letting him go for nothing... And why this is his 3rd team in 3 seasons.

IDK, Corey Dickerson had a fine year and they did this with him last year.

• darin617, Twins33, Danchat and 4 others like this

#42 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:05 PM

Let's not forget Corey Dickerson. He was let go by Tampa, went to Pittsburg, and hit .300/.330/.474 (.804). 119 OPS+.The talk at the time was that he would make $5m plus in arbitration. Sounds familiar. 

I remember when Cron was on the Angels out here. He was always one of those guys with big power who was very streaky and never got consistent playing itme because he was/is the quintessential average first baseman in the field, plus the Angels had to play Pujols somewhere.It may just be a situation where he finally got some consistent playing time and can show what he's capable of, which wasn't bad year. It also may be a carreer year that quickly goes south. Worth a shot. It's not like he's blocking anybody - Austin is the roughly same guy without the breakout year. 

Almost as good, this move comes with the added bonus that Robbie Grossman is probably non-tendered. Nice guy, good OBP, but not a guy who should be anything more than a 24th or 25th man on a good team. Can't carry Austin, Cron and Grossman on the same team. 

• Oldgoat_MN, DocBauer, gbg and 1 other like this

#43 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,347 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:07 PM

I think this was a fine move. He can play 1b or DH, two holes we currently have. He's a big RH power bat and RH power plays up at TF. He's cheap. I don't think he's blocking anyone, yet. Rooker isn't ML ready and Larnich is even farther away. 

He's not going to move the needle enough by himself but you can certainly see the power potential he gives the line-up.

• birdwatcher, Kelly Vance, DocBauer and 6 others like this

#44 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,116 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:23 PM

Sort of looks like a cost controlled Dozier type.

Hits for power, streaky and is an adequate defender.

Need to replace Dozier's bat somehow and this might be the way to go.

• birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN, woolywoolhouse and 2 others like this

#45 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:25 PM

This is a perfectly fine get for nothing. He just had a nice season, he's 28, and it's late November. He hits lefties and righties pretty equally. His arbitration number won't be huge. Our new manager just spent a season in close proximity and maybe likes what he does. Maybe they see him as Tyler Austin with less strikeouts.

If they do nothing else, we should yell and scream and gnash our teeth and rend our garments.

If they made a bet on an incremental improvement over Tyler Austin and make other incremental improvements and/or a big improvement no such yelling, screaming, gnashing, and rending is necessary.

• birdwatcher, Blake, diehardtwinsfan and 8 others like this

#46 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:28 PM

As a power guy, does he also strike out a lot?

Last year he struck out at a 29% clip. Over his career, 24.6%.

#47 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:33 PM

I have little interest in Cron, heck little interest in filling 1B.

But I don’t understand all the animosity. This is simply a waiver claim, the Twins make a dozen of these a year, Cron is just a bigger name than your typical waiver claim.
  • Han Joelo, birdwatcher, Riverbrian and 6 others like this

#48 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:34 PM

So, which two minor leaguers will the Twins get for him in August?

• DannySD likes this

#49 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,949 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

The Angels traded Cron when they signed Ohtani. Ohtani needed to DH and this forced Pujols to 1B and Cron can’t play anywhere else.

The Angels were only able to trade him for a PTBNL because there are a lot of these guys who can’t play anywhere in the field so nobody is willing to give up anything for them. The Angels were overloaded with them and Cron was forced out the door. Then the Rays find Choi and out the door goes Cron because the Rays can’t get anything of value for him in trade and neither Choi or Cron can play anywhere else.

Welcome to Minnesota where Tyler Austin is waiting for you.

I go back to asking the question. Why couldn’t Austin play some OF in September while Rosario was hurt? It would have taken just a hair of foresight to see the need before us today. I saw it... I mentioned it here when I saw it.

Cron is bouncing from team to team for pennies not because he can’t hit. It’s because he plays at the Pizza joint of positions. There is pizza everywhere from the store bought frozen stuff to the fancy stuff. Nobody finishes the whole box so getting a free slice is easy and it’s hard to survive in the Pizza business because there is pizza everywhere.

We’ve gone from 23M pizza to 5M pizza. What we need is Pizza and Wings to survive. Give Austin an OF glove please.
  • Blake, Jerr, Mike Sixel and 9 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#50 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,926 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:38 PM

In that case, I think this was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad* signing.

81urmclZ61L.jpg

• IndianaTwin and d-mac like this

#51 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

The main reason I am very excited about the Twins signing Cron is because Twins new manager had to be comfortable with this, since Cron and Baldelli were together on the Rays all of last year.Therefore I say Cron's signing has potential to be a real benefit for the Twins. More so, I submit, than Nelson Cruz (who does not play in the field and whose power stats have been sinking lower the last 4 years, as he aged from 34 to 38 years old...and whose WAR was only .9 above Cron's). Cron is at worst, an average fielding 1B (same fielding percentage as the Twins 2018 1B Gold Glove candidate, Joe Mauer .- .996). If Cron were a problem in the clubhouse, don't you think Baldelli would have known it and would have told Falvine? The Rays did the same thing with LoMo last year...they want to rebuild and have potentially better, younger, cheaper candidates at 1B. It really is as simple as that. I like this move.

• Oldgoat_MN, Dozier's Glorious Hair, MN_ExPat and 3 others like this

#52 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

He's a slightly above average defensive 1B. Austin and Cruz are not.

Why are some of us giving Austin a scholarship?

On the other hand, his OBP without his (unsustainable) 17 HBP's last year was about .304. Hard pass.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#53 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:43 PM

He's a slightly above average defensive 1B. Austin and Cruz are not.

Why are some of us giving Austin a scholarship?

On the other hand, his OBP without his (unsustainable) 17 HBP's last year was about .304. Hard pass.

Austin gets a "pass" because he's on the roster, and you can only add so many players. Preferably some that move the needle quite a bit......

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#54 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:53 PM

The Angels traded Cron when they signed Ohtani. Ohtani needed to DH and this forced Pujols to 1B and Cron can’t play anywhere else.

The Angels were only able to trade him for a PTBNL because there are a lot of these guys who can’t play anywhere in the field so nobody is willing to give up anything for them. The Angels were overloaded with them and Cron was forced out the door. Then the Rays find Choi and out the door goes Cron because the Rays can’t get anything of value for him in trade and neither Choi or Cron can play anywhere else.

Welcome to Minnesota where Tyler Austin is waiting for you.

I go back to asking the question. Why couldn’t Austin play some OF in September while Rosario was hurt? It would have taken just a hair of foresight to see the need before us today. I saw it... I mentioned it here when I saw it.

Cron is bouncing from team to team for pennies not because he can’t hit. It’s because he plays at the Pizza joint of positions. There is pizza everywhere from the store bought frozen stuff to the fancy stuff. Nobody finishes the whole box so getting a free slice is easy and it’s hard to survive in the Pizza business because there is pizza everywhere.

We’ve gone from 23M pizza to 5M pizza. What we need is Pizza and Wings to survive. Give Austin an OF glove please.

I’m hungry.
  • scottz likes this

#55 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:54 PM

81urmclZ61L.jpg

I was hoping someone else has kids. Or is married to an elementary school teacher. 

• Sconnie and MN_ExPat like this

#56 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:55 PM

Mauer had an OPS+ of 99 while Cron had 123. He'll make less than 25% of the money, so what's the problem? If he doesn't work out it's only a very small amout of money invested.

• birdwatcher, Danchat, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#57 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:55 PM

Is this a big, sexy move? Nope. But I really like it.

1] The cost is cheap with no longer term commitment and no prospects involved.

2] The move does little to nothing to constrict payroll for any other additions.

3] Baldelli is familiar with him.

4] Only 28 and coming off his best season. Coincidentally, his first season with more than 409AB.

5] We have just, cheaply, added depth and competition to the 1B/DH situation.

Smart move.

[And I agree at working Austin in the OF come ST]
  • gunnarthor, Kelly Vance, Otwins and 3 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#58 Rigby

Rigby

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:00 PM

and rend our garments.

God, let's hope that's not necessary...........

• scottz and MN_ExPat like this

#59 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,962 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:01 PM

Mauer had an OPS+ of 99 while Cron had 123. He'll make less than 25% of the money, so what's the problem? If he doesn't work out it's only a very small amout of money invested.

Every dollar counts with this small market team! Just ask Jim Pohlad, who doesn't FEEL like it's necessary to spend $23 million just because Mauer's contract is off the books.
  • Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, Twins33 and 2 others like this

#60 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:15 PM

seems unlikely they are aggressive with Rooker now.........so maybe he's not the best pick ever....

Yes that's another thing I don't understand about this pick-up. Although Rooker does have a tiny bit more flexibility to play the outfield* 

*not sure how good he actually is at either position

• DocBauer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cj cron