Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Claim 1B CJ Cron

cj cron
  • Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#21 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:15 PM

Let's hope this works out better than the last Tampa 1B coming off a career year.

This
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#22 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:16 PM

I'm underwhelmed to an extreme level.

And that
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#23 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:17 PM

Me, too. I don’t think this is an upgrade move and doesn’t really fill holes.

We arguably have holes at 1b and DH; I don't think his contract is guaranteed, like Austin, he could be waived at any point before the season at no cost, so should the Twins find a better option, they can release Cron/Austin.As others have pointed out, I think this probably spells the end for Grossman. 

• birdwatcher, Danchat, LA VIkes Fan and 9 others like this

#24 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:20 PM

I would rather have him than any of the FAs available so it's hard to be too disappointed. He is in his prime and last year was his 1st season with 500ABs. It's reasonable to hope for another uptick but I would be satisfied with what he did last year.

• luckylager, birdwatcher, Blake and 9 others like this

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:21 PM

I'm ok with this move, assuming they, you know, add more players.......he put up 2 WAR last year. That's probably a good number to expect again, and this team isn't swimming in players. Is it sexy and needle moving? Meh. Are they probably better? ya, a bit. 

• birdwatcher, Twins33, Oldgoat_MN and 8 others like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:22 PM

I would rather have him than any of the FAs available so it's hard to be too disappointed. He is in his prime and last year was his 1st season with 500ABs. It's reasonable to hope for another uptick but I would be satisfied with what he did last year.

Also this.....

• Blake, mikelink45, nytwinsfan and 3 others like this

#27 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:22 PM

So this theoretically ends the hope that Nelson Cruz will join the Twins which is a major disappointment. 0.9 war difference between Cruz and Cron which is considerable. I do not believe that Cron is the answer at DH because of what happened to LoMo last year. Also, the Angels gave Cron up for crumbs and the Rays gave him up for nothing which makes you wonder if there’s something going on in the clubhouse. I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t like if a player was slowing us down. I also wouldn’t be surprised if we flip him for a relief pitcher then sign Nelson Cruz but that’s highly unlikely since any team coulda picked him up this past week.

Is not a WAR difference of .9 literally less than one win? Of course, 2.9 bWAR is Cruz’s worst in 6 years. Cron has only reached 2.0 twice and never higher than that. So, Cruz at his worst > Cron at his best.

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:25 PM

We arguably have holes at 1b and DH; I don't think his contract is guaranteed, like Austin, he could be waived at any point before the season at no cost, so should the Twins find a better option, they can release Cron/Austin. As others have pointed out, I think this probably spells the end for Grossman.

The tender date has already passed. So, by adding him now doesn’t this put the Twins on the hook for whatever his arb award is?

#29 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:26 PM

The tender date has already passed. So, by adding him now doesn’t this put the Twins on the hook for whatever his arb award is?

I recall it being discussed here before that players on arbitration don't have their salary guaranteed prior to the season.Someone more knowledgeable/smarter than me may know for sure.

#30 Jacks02

Jacks02

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:30 PM

Is not a WAR difference of .9 literally less than one win? Of course, 2.9 bWAR is Cruz’s worst in 6 years. Cron has only reached 2.0 twice and never higher than that. So, Cruz at his worst > Cron at his best.

But that was 38 year old Cruz's worst year while it was 28 year old Cron's best year.

Which has the better chance of improvement/health going forward?

• Danchat, big dog, KGB and 6 others like this

#31 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:32 PM

Nothing like adding another non-versatile, remotely average offensively right-handed 1B/DH type to the roster

• Jerr, Hosken Bombo Disco and Vanimal46 like this

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:32 PM

seems unlikely they are aggressive with Rooker now.........so maybe he's not the best pick ever....

#33 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:36 PM

I'm glad people are not liking this move. Experience tells me this means he will be great and the same people will be his biggest fans come 12 months from now. 

</snark>

In that case, I think this was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad* signing.

*Hold on while I look for my thesaurus. 

Edited by IndianaTwin, 26 November 2018 - 02:36 PM.

• Twins33, Major League Ready, Doomtints and 1 other like this

#34 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:38 PM

I will refer to him as Crom! In honor of Conan the barbarian! :)
  • Dozier's Glorious Hair, MN_ExPat and Original Whizzinator like this

#35 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 453 posts

Hmmm,

With Cron on the roster and Robbie Grossman sure to be gone.The Twins really could use some LH or Switch Hitter Depth @ Corner Outfield and 1B.Probably C too since we all know that Castro is injury Prone.  

Guys...I've got a brilliant idea!

• dgwills likes this

#36 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,221 posts

Let's hope this works out better than the last Tampa 1B coming off a career year.

Why would we compare the 2 of them? Just because they both played last in Tampa?Morrison basically had no Spring Training and may have been hiding an injury all season until they shut him down.

• nytwinsfan and rdehring like this

#37 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:40 PM

I think Cron was DFA'd because his career going into last season was 106+ adjusted OPS and last season was 123 adjusted OPS.The Rays think he will regress back closer to 106 instead of remaining at 123.Plus Cron is not that good at getting on base which hurts his value and he is a neutral fielder.  

I don't think getting Cron will prevent us from getting a DH necessarily.We could go after Cruz.I think Cron provides competition for Austin as neither cost much and if one gets released at the end of spring training the cost will be around 1 million. 1/6th the season wage termination pay.  

I really hope we go after someone like Cruz cause power is cheap and we could have a powerful lineup next season at a reasonable cost.

a low cost lineup with lots of power example: 

CF Buxton

SS Polanco

3B Sano

DH Cruz

1B Austin / Cron

LF Rosario

RF Kepler / Cave

2B Dozier / Kinsler/ Cabrera / or someone else who can hit 10+ HRs

C Garver / Castro

#38 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,962 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:42 PM

Why would we compare the 2 of them? Just because they both played last in Tampa? Morrison basically had no Spring Training and may have been hiding an injury all season until they shut him down.

Same reason why we fear Scott Boras clients... Irrational feelings. I'm not going to trust people from Tampa coming off career seasons. There's probably a valid reason why they're letting him go for nothing... And why this is his 3rd team in 3 seasons.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#39 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

I'm underwhelmed to an extreme level.

Underwhelmed by obtaining a 2 WAR/30HR player at a position of need for . . . nothing? I mean, if he's the only good bat they get this offseason, then sure, but its November 26th.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, scottz and 12 others like this

#40 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:48 PM

Based on what I assume the Twins will do, I don't think that this is that bad of a decision because it is low risk, relatively low cost, and has some upside in the end game.  

I get that it might be preferable to find a left handed hitter to work in the mix, but not all opportunities fall from the trees.I think there is enough ABs to work Austin, Sano, and Cron in the lineup.

It is obviously low cost and low risk, and if Cron hits you could potentially move him around the trade deadline for prospects. 

At the same time, and continuing my series, why not just start the season with Brent Rooker instead? Rooker and Cron are very similar players.Both right handed power hitters that were first round draft picks out of college (witht he exception being Rooker was a 4th year college player). 

Both players pounded Rookie level ball in their initial professional debut.And while Cron spent the next year in A+ ball, the Twins (uncharacteristically) advanced Rooker to A+ ball that same season.  

Cron had a slightly higher A+ batting average but Rooker had higher OBP and Slg, with a A+ OPS of .917 vs. Cron's .843.It is also important to note that because Rooker was a 4th year college player, they both played A+ ball as 22 year olds.

AS 23 year olds both Cron and Rooker played a full season of AA. Cron, in 2013 hit .274 with a OBP of .319 and SLG of .428 (OPS .746) with 14 home runs in 519 at bats. Rooker hit .254 with a OBP of .333 and SLG of .465 (OPS .798) with 22 home runs in 503 at bats. 

WHile statistically Rooker is slightly better than Cron, he has had a much higher strike out percentage than Cron, with Rooker's minor league strike out percentage being almost double Cron.But then also, Rooker started slowly in AA last season, had incredibly hot June and July months with OPS over 1.000 before having a terrible end of the season in August and September. 

I will also add that the Angels never really seemed to commit to Cron while he was with them.They brought him up as a 24 year old and he hit reasonably well with a OPS of .739 and 11 home runs in 253 ABs. But he started in AAA the following 2015 season, then was called up and hit 16 home runswith a .739 OPS and then started the 2017 season in AAA again before being brought up and having an almost duplicate season.Cron's 2018 Rays season was his first complete major league season and then they designated him for assignment after a pretty solid season.

From the evidence, Rooker has a lot more power potential and despite more Ks and lower average and significantly higher strikout percentage, a much higher on base average than Cron.I can perhaps see having Rooker spend some time in AAA to see if he can work on cutting back on his strike outs and that will be a concern for him going to the major league level.  

So, I would personally just start out with Rooker.But, what I hope is that Rooker plays well in AAA, Cron hits well in Minnesota, and then at the trade deadline we can move Cron for prospects.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, DocBauer and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cj cron