Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Plenty of money

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:21 PM

We have a full thread for minor league players. And it's been mentioned over and over.

And what has the MLPA done for them?

#122 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,458 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:40 AM

By that same logic, why isn't MLBPA doing anything for the National Softball Association?

#123 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,281 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

Nothing.There are no "good guys" in this labor fight. So you have to pick the best of what you're left with.

And it ain't the owners.

#124 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

By that same logic, why isn't MLBPA doing anything for the National Softball Association?

You are not using logic if this is the kind of connection you want to make.

#125 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:01 PM

Nothing.There are no "good guys" in this labor fight. So you have to pick the best of what you're left with.

And it ain't the owners.

I chose neither the players or the owners.I will say the owners do, however, put up the capital and take the risks.I have seen a lot of people here saying there are no risks running a sports franchise but they are going to need to tell the six franchises that had a negative operating income last year.That accounts for 20% of the league's franchises losing money.

At this point, there are risks in purchasing a major league franchise.There seems to be a pervasive myth around here that there is no saturation in this industry.EVERY market has a saturation point and market has it's own economy.When you have an industry that raised the median salary by over 200% during a 15 year period not long ago in this environment it is foolish to think there isn't going to be a correction.

Ballplayers act like shareholders that aren't allowed to lose money.Pay us when the money comes in, but when you lose money pay me anyway.

#126 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,281 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:08 PM

I chose neither the players or the owners.I will say the owners do, however, put up the capital and take the risks.I have seen a lot of people here saying there are no risks running a sports franchise but they are going to need to tell the six franchises that had a negative operating income last year.That accounts for 20% of the league's franchises losing money.

At this point, there are risks in purchasing a major league franchise.There seems to be a pervasive myth around here that there is no saturation in this industry.EVERY market has a saturation point and market has it's own economy.When you have an industry that raised the median salary by over 200% during a 15 year period not long ago in this environment it is foolish to think there isn't going to be a correction.

Ballplayers act like shareholders that aren't allowed to lose money.Pay us when the money comes in, but when you lose money pay me anyway.

And owners soak us tax-payers to fund their money making operation, sell us on promises, and then go back on them.They up our ticket prices, concession prices, and profit at enormous levels on media deals.

I won't, and can't, side with them.At least the players are only indirectly soaking us.The owners are extorting us and using our money to turn enormous profits.Screw those guys.

• ewen21 likes this

#127 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,458 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:50 AM

You are not using logic if this is the kind of connection you want to make.

... Still waiting for the light bulb to go off that MLBPA and MiLB are 2 separate organizations...

Attached Thumbnails

• utzTCyo.png

#128 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,375 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:44 AM

I feel really bad for the billionaires who inherited this awful situation of risk with no reward.....just awful.

Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#129 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:21 PM

Just to keep tabs we now have the Commish, Twins, Braves, Dodgers, and Cubs all marching out these talking points right?Maybe there are others too.

Not good for the sport.

To be clear, the Dodgers and Cubs are talking about the luxury tax and a lack of desire to pass it. Seeing the Red Sox kicked all the way back into the second round this year was eye-opening to teams.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#130 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:31 PM

Not discussed here (yet) is something that I wrote a piece on today, something I found incredibly disingenuous at best and worthy of a lot of four-letter words at the worsst...

https://calltothepen...ers-just-jerks/

#131 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,375 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:21 AM

So baseball subsidizes real estate, then the real estate money goes, um, not back to baseball....

Check out @craigcalcaterra’s Tweet:

#132 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:17 PM

Calcaterra's research is poor, to say the least. Yes, the team is paying money toward debts. However, they have had record payrolls over the last five years in 2 Opening Days (and the OD payroll has been above the level of that initial record-break in 2014 each of the last three seasons) and record year-end payrolls in 4 of the last 5 seasons, including the last three consecutively. There has been incredible spending on scouting, coaching, training, and analytics, most of which Calcaterra did not include as "baseball spending". The Liberty books are wide open, and while I'm not 100% in favor of how Liberty has been spending the money, his writing is misdirected at best and misleading at worst.

He's been getting absolutely roasted by Braves fans who are both in favor of Liberty to those who despise Liberty completely for this piece. That should tell you plenty.

Edited by biggentleben, 04 March 2019 - 12:18 PM.

#133 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,375 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:35 PM

Calcaterra's research is poor, to say the least. Yes, the team is paying money toward debts. However, they have had record payrolls over the last five years in 2 Opening Days (and the OD payroll has been above the level of that initial record-break in 2014 each of the last three seasons) and record year-end payrolls in 4 of the last 5 seasons, including the last three consecutively. There has been incredible spending on scouting, coaching, training, and analytics, most of which Calcaterra did not include as "baseball spending". The Liberty books are wide open, and while I'm not 100% in favor of how Liberty has been spending the money, his writing is misdirected at best and misleading at worst.

He's been getting absolutely roasted by Braves fans who are both in favor of Liberty to those who despise Liberty completely for this piece. That should tell you plenty.

It tells me most don't understand where the money is going, not to the team, but other parts of the business. Fans, as we all know, aren't the most rational beings.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#134 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:12 PM

I'd say "absolutely roasted" is an exaggeration. Unless you have links to other discussions or otherinformation to share or there's a radio guy with a bone to pick that you heard.  

In the 45 comments below the article, it's slightly in favor of Liberty's property development, but no one's really roasting Calcaterra over his position on it, and the comment thread somehow devolves into a discussion Apple's iPad before page two (not unlike discussions here)

• Mike Sixel likes this

#135 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:14 PM

I'd say "absolutely roasted" is an exaggeration. Unless you have links to other discussions or otherinformation to share or there's a radio guy with a bone to pick that you heard.  

In the 45 comments below the article, it's slightly in favor of Liberty's property development, but no one's really roasting Calcaterra over his position on it, and the comment thread somehow devolves into a discussion Apple's iPad before page two (not unlike discussions here)

Search "F*** Craig Calcaterra" on Twitter...

The Twitter comments, Facebook comments, and blog articles written on this have nearly all ripped Craig.

#136 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:17 PM

It tells me most don't understand where the money is going, not to the team, but other parts of the business. Fans, as we all know, aren't the most rational beings.

That's just it. The money is being spent on aspects of the team. The significant increases in the spending in those areas combined with record payrolls definitely make Craig's point an odd one.

#137 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:08 AM

What I wonder is why television revenues keep increasing when you look at the post-season ratings which are down significantly from the 1970's and '80's. Its hard to believe that revenues are going to increase higher than inflation. The 10000 more strikeouts in the past decade isn't helping.

#138 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,375 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:15 AM

What I wonder is why television revenues keep increasing when you look at the post-season ratings which are down significantly from the 1970's and '80's. Its hard to believe that revenues are going to increase higher than inflation. The 10000 more strikeouts in the past decade isn't helping.

Because they are still better than tv stations doing their own shows, which require large investments in writers, directors, actors, etc, plus the risk the show is bad..... And sports ratings are dropping slower than general ratings. I'd argue it is a lack of ability to adjust in the networks behalf, to a changed world