Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Angels DFA Alex Meyer

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 November 2018 - 06:58 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...assignment.html

That trade didn’t really work for anyone, Nats, Twins, or Angels did it?
  • glunn, birdwatcher, Danchat and 2 others like this

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,409 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:12 PM

Washington got a couple of productive years out of Span in return for Meyer.

• USAFChief, glunn, gunnarthor and 8 others like this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelette.

#3 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,256 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:08 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...assignment.html
That trade didn’t really work for anyone, Nats, Twins, or Angels did it?

Nope. Feel bad for the kid. Just seemed like he had all the potential in the world.

Also feel bad for the Twins, of course, because man it just seemed like he was going to be a top of the rotation SP for us.
  • glunn, Thrylos, Blake and 4 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#4 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,256 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:10 PM

Washington got a couple of productive years out of Span in return for Meyer.

And it seems he has absolutely killed us when we've faced him!

Wait...maybe we should alter some of our off season blueprints and get Span back in a Twins uniform. Even if it's not to face him!
  • glunn, Sconnie and ChrisKnutson like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#5 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:16 PM

And it seems he has absolutely killed us when we've faced him!

Wait...maybe we should alter some of our off season blueprints and get Span back in a Twins uniform. Even if it's not to face him!

CA80CB38-8A4A-4412-A87C-A603ED74A9B7.jpeg

I dunno, he’s getting up there, check out the gray... but 2018 was pretty solid for Span.
https://www.baseball.../spande01.shtml
  • glunn and nclahammer like this

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,063 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:21 PM

Alex Meyer had a torn labrum surgery last season and has had some recent setbacks.Thus the DFA.

Was a pretty darn special pitcher when healthy. 

He has his head screwed on correctly and a college degree.Wishing him the best.

• jorgenswest, glunn, Blake and 9 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:56 PM

I respect his love for education, it sucks his shoulder didn't let him live out his baseball dream.But nothing dooms a pitching career like a persistent shoulder problem.  

• glunn and Sconnie like this

#8 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:59 PM

Is his career for sure over?I thought he was supposed to be good for next spring.He could make it back as a reliever.If I were him, that's what I would want to do if I could.

• glunn likes this

#9 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

Is his career for sure over? I thought he was supposed to be good for next spring. He could make it back as a reliever. If I were him, that's what I would want to do if I could.

https://mobile.twitt...579274510782464

He suffered a setback from his 2017 labrum surgery that is supposed to be 4-6 weeks until he can throw again. It’s not impossible, but not looking good.

Edited by Sconnie, 22 November 2018 - 08:51 AM.

• glunn likes this

#10 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

This could the Twins chance at signing a front of the rotation free agent. And probably at a bargain price.

#11 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

self-depricated

• Members
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:56 AM

I am rooting for Mr. Meyer wherever he ends up. I hope someone gives him a shot to come back if he wants it.

Been a while since he was someone's adopted prospect, but didn't he teach in the off season?
  • glunn and David HK like this

#12 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:12 AM

I hope the Twins sign him to a minor league contract. It seems like it could make sense to give him a shot to try to get healthy back with the Twins organization. He’s only 29.
  • David HK likes this

#13 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

I hope the Twins sign him to a minor league contract. It seems like it could make sense to give him a shot to try to get healthy back with the Twins organization. He’s only 29.

A) He had labrum surgery, AKA the one that Glen Perkins has had. I remember reading in an article about that surgery only one MLB pitcher ever has returned to his old self. Meyer is very unlikely to regain his pitching ability back.

B) Why would he want to come back and pitch for the team that kept him in the minors and refused to call him up when he deserved to be?

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#14 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:52 PM

:cool: Why would he want to come back and pitch for the team that kept him in the minors and refused to call him up when he deserved to be?

Because he is the rare person that is able to see there are different people running the organization.

#15 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:21 PM

Another BS treatment by the Twins organization.  

The guy has a power arm and success in the majors.In 2013 a 3.21 ERA in AAwith 84ks in 70 innings followed by a 3.12 ERA with 28 strikeouts in 26 innings in teh Arizona Fall leage.The next season as a 24 year old in AAA Rochester he strikes out 153 over 130 innings with a 3.52 ERA.  

WIth the Twins and a college first round draft pick that has had success at every level of the minors that doesn't even get you a call up on a team that lost 92 games, and all of that minor league success he had got him 6.1 innings as a 25 and 26 year old over 4 appearances.  

At least the Angels gave him a chance and it is too bad for him he was injured because over 13 starts last year he wasn't terrible.Sure, his control isn't the greatest,but even with 5.6 BB/9 his WHIP was 1.337 which would have been 3rd on the Twins starting rotation.  

I will repeat my statement.If I were an agent for a top level college player in the draft I would send a tetter to the Twins requesting that they not draft my client and if they did draft him I would strongly advise himnot to sign.This is especially true for college pitchers.The Twins will move you slowly through the minor league system and even if you have solid results, you will be lucky to reach your major league debut by the age of 25.All the while, you are exposed to career ending injuries while the Twins Front Office brings in waiver wire acquisition after waiver wire acquisition ahead of you. The years you should be developing at the major league level, you will be toiling away in the minors.Then the years you should be hitting your peak performance, arbitration and then free agency, you will be just starting your major league career.

Case in point:Kyle Gibson.Now,I am not going to disagree that some of Gibson's development was slowed by his arm injuries, but Gibson is now 31 years old and still under team control with the first possibility of free agency being 2020 when he will be 32 years old.In a lot of organizations he would have made the major league levels in 2010 or 2011, not 2013 like he did with the Twins.

#16 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:34 PM

Yep, traded a couple of enduring centerfielders for Meyer, May and Worley! Hey, we still have May for a couple more seasons...maybe!

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#17 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:12 PM

The guy has a power arm and success in the majors.In 2013 a 3.21 ERA in AAwith 84ks in 70 innings followed by a 3.12 ERA with 28 strikeouts in 26 innings in teh Arizona Fall leage.The next season as a 24 year old in AAA Rochester he strikes out 153 over 130 innings with a 3.52 ERA.  

WIth the Twins and a college first round draft pick that has had success at every level of the minors that doesn't even get you a call up on a team that lost 92 games, and all of that minor league success he had got him 6.1 innings as a 25 and 26 year old over 4 appearances.  

At least the Angels gave him a chance and it is too bad for him he was injured because over 13 starts last year he wasn't terrible.Sure, his control isn't the greatest,but even with 5.6 BB/9 his WHIP was 1.337 which would have been 3rd on the Twins starting rotation.  

I will repeat my statement.If I were an agent for a top level college player in the draft I would send a tetter to the Twins requesting that they not draft my client and if they did draft him I would strongly advise himnot to sign.This is especially true for college pitchers.The Twins will move you slowly through the minor league system and even if you have solid results, you will be lucky to reach your major league debut by the age of 25.All the while, you are exposed to career ending injuries while the Twins Front Office brings in waiver wire acquisition after waiver wire acquisition ahead of you. The years you should be developing at the major league level, you will be toiling away in the minors.Then the years you should be hitting your peak performance, arbitration and then free agency, you will be just starting your major league career.

Case in point:Kyle Gibson.Now,I am not going to disagree that some of Gibson's development was slowed by his arm injuries, but Gibson is now 31 years old and still under team control with the first possibility of free agency being 2020 when he will be 32 years old.In a lot of organizations he would have made the major league levels in 2010 or 2011, not 2013 like he did with the Twins.

So Falvey is really Ryan in disguise as they have never been seen together?

• rdehring likes this

#18 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:13 PM

Yep, traded a couple of enduring centerfielders for Meyer, May and Worley! Hey, we still have May for a couple more seasons...maybe!

This statement significantly over-values Revere.

• Danchat and Original Whizzinator like this

#19 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:58 PM

So because Meyer "wasn't terrible" some 5 years after the trade, no player should ever sign with the Twins? Meyer was terrible with the Twins MLB team during his cup of coffee, he wasn't good in Anaheim either, and he's had repeated health concerns dating back to before his time in the Twins organization.

• dbminn, howieramone2, Original Whizzinator and 1 other like this

#20 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,192 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:40 PM

Washington was a shrewd pitcher evaluator, and the Twins' were the hopeful suckers, here. Both ends of the trade... in (Span) and out (Santiago and Busenitz) ..... were horrible. Results stats don't care about injuries. I guess apologists can't regurgitate the "can't tell until time passes" nugget anymore - or will they still? C'est la vie.