Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

I came across this rumor about Thor and the Mets and had to ask....

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,628 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:22 AM

Here's the problem. Thor is a win now move. Trading guys that are part of the core such as Sano, Buxton, Kepler are going to open up other holes that need to be filled. Sano and Buxton definitely underperformed, and Kepler didn't progress as hoped, but I think trading any of those 3 is a mistake. Those 3 moving in the right direction is what will make or break this team.

To get Thor, this is probably how I'd do it.

• First, you're probably moving one of our SPs for his spot. It's not really a value add per se, though if he's doing well, the Mets can flip him at the deadline, so one of Pineda/Odorizzi probably goes in this scenario. Likewise, they said they'd sign a FA pitcher. One of those guys is probably equivalent to what they'd go after.
  • Lewis (no way you get Thor without Lewis). You can sub AK here if you'd like. I think I'd rather hold on to him, as his bat will play anywhere and fits more of our needs in the long term. Our farm is pretty deep in the MI, and Lewis might be the top MI prospect available this offseason, so I think I'd dangle him.
  • One of Thorpe/Graterol/Romero. They will want a better SP prospect. One of these 3 has to go. I'd lean towards Thorpe personally, but I don't see a scenario where all of these guys stay. One will go. Possibly 2 (though I'd hold out pretty hard on that).
  •  One of our remaining AAA pitchers (Gonsalves, Wells, Stewart, Slegers, Littell). None of these guys are exciting, but we have too many, and if the Mets are rebuilding, a guy like this can be valuable. It will take some development on their part, but it's a lower risk move that will likely be able to net them some prospects or be a key piece when they are ready to contend again.
  • One or two high upside lotto picks in the low minors. 

Something like that would probably get it done. Not many teams are deep enough to offer more. They would be walking out with a top 10 prospect, someone else in the top 100, and some decent upside as well. Personally, I'd want to reverse Santana them, but their current GM is a bit smarter in this area than Bill Smith ever was.

• Loosey likes this

#42 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,582 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:54 AM

Thor is controlled for 3 years......I'm confused how adding a guy that is young, and under control for three years, is a "win now" move. It's hard to add a guy for longer, without signing an older FA for a longer term. 

• Tomj14 and Battle ur tail off like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#43 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:27 AM

We could include a third team. The Mariners come to mind. We could send them some prospects for Santana and a piece NY would want. Mariners get cost savings and prospects, we get a 1B that pushes Austin/ Cron to DH and Syndergaard, Mets get prospect from Mariners and stuff from us too. I'll let other posters fill in blanks or restructure this for me.

Edited by Brandon, 04 December 2018 - 10:28 AM.

#44 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:33 PM

Rooker (or Sano), Cave, Romero, May and Gordon for Thor? Hell no.

Are you serious? For real?

One of Rooker/Sano = question mark prospect that strikes out tons. 

Cave - 4th or 5th outfielder

Romero - possible 2-4 starter

May - oft injured guy that hasn't been able to be counted on much yet

Gordon - utility infielder at best projects to be nothing special

I do that trade in a heartbeat if that's all it takes and laugh my arse off the whole time. 

The Mets would never do that deal though. 

Edited by Battle ur tail off, 04 December 2018 - 12:37 PM.

#45 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:49 PM

I don't get why people think we can trade B and C level guys for one of the better pitchers in the national league that is young and under control. 

To get this guy, they are gonna ask for your 2 top prospects, plus someone from your starting 5. Scrap heap guys won't do it. 

They will want 2 of Lewis, Graterol and Kiriloff. You aren't getting by without including at least one of them unless you give up Rosario or Berrios. 

If you can make the trade without giving up one of those top 3 prospects and only one of Rosario, Buxton or Sano, I'd let them take their pick of 3 or 4 of anyone else on the roster and minor league system.

#46 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:55 PM

Thor is controlled for 3 years......I'm confused how adding a guy that is young, and under control for three years, is a "win now" move. It's hard to add a guy for longer, without signing an older FA for a longer term. 

I have come to the conclusion that Twins fans really just want to be the new lovable losers.

We can't spend money, we can't trade prospects, lets just rebuild a dynasty with minor leaguers.

Have the Twins ever had a pitching prospect as good as Thor? and fans don't want him with three years of control because it will cost minor league guys that may or may not ever make a impact in the majors?

• Mike Sixel likes this

#47 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:00 PM

Here's the problem. Thor is a win now move. Trading guys that are part of the core such as Sano, Buxton, Kepler are going to open up other holes that need to be filled. Sano and Buxton definitely underperformed, and Kepler didn't progress as hoped, but I think trading any of those 3 is a mistake. Those 3 moving in the right direction is what will make or break this team.

To get Thor, this is probably how I'd do it.

• First, you're probably moving one of our SPs for his spot. It's not really a value add per se, though if he's doing well, the Mets can flip him at the deadline, so one of Pineda/Odorizzi probably goes in this scenario. Likewise, they said they'd sign a FA pitcher. One of those guys is probably equivalent to what they'd go after.
  • Lewis (no way you get Thor without Lewis). You can sub AK here if you'd like. I think I'd rather hold on to him, as his bat will play anywhere and fits more of our needs in the long term. Our farm is pretty deep in the MI, and Lewis might be the top MI prospect available this offseason, so I think I'd dangle him.
  • One of Thorpe/Graterol/Romero. They will want a better SP prospect. One of these 3 has to go. I'd lean towards Thorpe personally, but I don't see a scenario where all of these guys stay. One will go. Possibly 2 (though I'd hold out pretty hard on that).
  •  One of our remaining AAA pitchers (Gonsalves, Wells, Stewart, Slegers, Littell). None of these guys are exciting, but we have too many, and if the Mets are rebuilding, a guy like this can be valuable. It will take some development on their part, but it's a lower risk move that will likely be able to net them some prospects or be a key piece when they are ready to contend again.
  • One or two high upside lotto picks in the low minors. 

Something like that would probably get it done. Not many teams are deep enough to offer more. They would be walking out with a top 10 prospect, someone else in the top 100, and some decent upside as well. Personally, I'd want to reverse Santana them, but their current GM is a bit smarter in this area than Bill Smith ever was.

This looks like a pretty accurate description of what it will take to get him.

I don't have a problem with making a win now move. And "win now" means a 3 year window...all while our division is weak and rebuilding. If you're not willing to make this kind of move now, especially when we have $ for FA, when do you???

Edited by cmoss84, 04 December 2018 - 01:01 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#48 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

I don't get why people think we can trade B and C level guys for one of the better pitchers in the national league that is young and under control. 

To get this guy, they are gonna ask for your 2 top prospects, plus someone from your starting 5. Scrap heap guys won't do it. 

They will want 2 of Lewis, Graterol and Kiriloff. You aren't getting by without including at least one of them unless you give up Rosario or Berrios. 

If you can make the trade without giving up one of those top 3 prospects and only one of Rosario, Buxton or Sano, I'd let them take their pick of 3 or 4 of anyone else on the roster and minor league system.

We are suggesting players that they said they are looking for.Young cost controlled position players and bullpenI am guessing before the Cano trade they didnt need a pitcher to replace Thor per se but they may need one now.While we are suggesting players who are solid but inexpensive, Those players may allow NY to spend more money elsewhere on the team.I think a third team would have to be included as the Mets are in a win now mode and wouldnt want to wait for Lewis or Killeroff.  

#49 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,628 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:16 PM

Because of the price you pay to get him. That's why it's a win now move. 

#50 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,628 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:23 PM

This looks like a pretty accurate description of what it will take to get him.

I don't have a problem with making a win now move. And "win now" means a 3 year window...all while our division is weak and rebuilding. If you're not willing to make this kind of move now, especially when we have $ for FA, when do you???

I'm in a agreement here... at least the more I chew on it I am. 3 years of control for a guy who will be a top 10 AL pitcher (baring injury) is worth the price of admission. With a weak central, this would definitely beef up the rotation. 

The reason not to do it is that the team has bigger holes to fill... or if they really don't think Buxton and Sano are fixable. I'm a lot less worried about Miguel than Byron, but there's definitely some sentiment around here that says otherwise. If we see a repeat performance from our two former top 10 prospects, Thor isn't going to make enough of a dent to get us over the top at which point (if he's still performing), you can potentially get some of that back.

#51 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,628 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:25 PM

We are suggesting players that they said they are looking for.Young cost controlled position players and bullpenI am guessing before the Cano trade they didnt need a pitcher to replace Thor per se but they may need one now.While we are suggesting players who are solid but inexpensive, Those players may allow NY to spend more money elsewhere on the team.I think a third team would have to be included as the Mets are in a win now mode and wouldnt want to wait for Lewis or Killeroff.  

If the Mets want to win now, they aren't trading Thor. They certainly aren't going to trade him for Buxton and Kepler. Those may be young and cost controlled, but hardly sure things.