Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Add Gordon, Wade, Arraez To 40-Man Roster

nick gordon lamonte wade luis arraez tyler jay jake reed.
  • Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 darin617

darin617

• 1,387 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:26 PM

They also have plenty of AAAA pitchers on the 40 man that could sent through waivers down the road.

#62 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,454 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:58 PM

Here's hoping one of these familiar guys doesn't wind up on the 40-man

Rays Designate C.J. Cron, Announce Other Roster Moves

Is it 2020 yet?

#63 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,111 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:59 PM

Sounds like Busenitz is being released to play in Japan as well...

Edited by Thrylos, 20 November 2018 - 07:59 PM.

• 108Stitches likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#64 HrbekRules

HrbekRules

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 112 posts
  • Location1991

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:05 PM

Nick Anderson traded to the Marlins for infielder Brian Schales.
  • Danchat likes this

#65 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,454 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:14 PM

Filed under: Something is better than nothing

Brian Schales Baseball Reference

Is it 2020 yet?

#66 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,244 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:14 PM

Dispatching a guy rather than let him be taken via Rule-5, for... who? An infielder who will not be considered by Rule-5 selectors? I'm not sure the point.

MLBTR indicates "more to come". I hope so.

Always put the important things ahead of mere dire emergencies.

#67 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,454 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:17 PM

Claim Dietrich and pay him his $4.8M in arbitration

EDIT: may have jumped the gun on this recommendation due to RBVS - RiverBrian Versatility Syndrome

Does look like a possible Utility guy against RH guys who throw pitches sometime in a game

Edited by tvagle, 20 November 2018 - 08:25 PM.

• Riverbrian likes this

Is it 2020 yet?

#68 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,081 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:41 PM

I guess getting something for Anderson is nice, because the Twins probably weren't going to use him. It stinks to see Busenitz sent off to Asia already, but he just wasn't cutting it here. There goes the last piece of the Nolasco-Santiago trade... until Alex Meyer recovers from his shoulder surgery in 2020.

• diehardtwinsfan and PseudoSABR like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#69 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,449 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:54 PM

Glad to see they protected Arraez. Maybe their is stuff we don't know coming down (like trading Gordon).

#70 mlhouse

mlhouse

• 719 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:12 PM

2018 MiLB numbers in AA and AAA

against RHP: .281/.391/.409

against LHP: .189/.266/.297

No. He does not hit LHPs.He is pretty much an automatic out against them.He does mash against RHP.

The Twins already have 4 lefty throwing OFs on their 4 man roster.How given is a 5th?Or an 8th total OF?Meanwhile the infielder roster, including 1B sits at just 5.

It is a numbers game

Then, of course, in 2017 he hit .313 against LHP with a .794 OPS (.809 OPS vs. RHP).THen, of course, in 2016 he hit .315 vs LHP with a .893 OPS (.823 OPS vs. RHP). Then, of course, in 2015 he hit .345 vs. LHP with a .966 OPS (.884 OPS vs. RHP).

So, with the single exception of 2018 when he played hurt, he has actually hit LHP better than RHP.I think that you can make some argument that the years previous to 2018 were at lower levels, but to claim he is "an automatic out against LHP" isn't true one iota until you cherry pick the statistics.

• Steve Lein, birdwatcher, Major League Ready and 4 others like this

#71 spycake

spycake

• 16,548 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:27 PM

For $100,000 it's foolish not to take a rule 5 player. I haven't looked lately, but at one time Haley was on the best team in baseball. With us he was on the DL twice and couldn't seem to stay healthy. Injuries are part of the game, but the pick was a good one.

Justin Haley threw 7.2 innings of mop-up duty for the Red Sox in June, was nowhere near their MLB roster in the second half of the season much less the postseason, and cleared waivers and was outrighted off the 40-man by Boston on Nov. 1st, before he elected minor league free agency on Nov. 2.

So if you want him back, here's your chance! You can give him a spot instead of another Rule 5 guy.
  • USAFChief, Riverbrian, Danchat and 2 others like this

#72 spycake

spycake

• 16,548 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:52 PM

They got a MLB player for $100,000. I don't follow every other team and really don't care what they do. If the search committee had picked me, I would always take a rule 5 player. Always.

$100k seems cheap, but in modern Rule 5, you're not buying much. Take a look at the recent results:

https://en.m.wikiped...5_draft_results

The last couple years, it's like maybe 1 useful guy out of 18 picks.

By comparison, there are quite a few far more successful/valuable guys signed on minor league deals every year -- like Brandon Morrow for the Dodgers a couple years ago, Kintzler for the Twins, etc. Dereck Rodriguez, even. And those guys actually cost LESS than $100k (not to mention not requiring a 25 man roster spot). You'd probably be better off trying to identify those guys and enticing them to sign with the roster spot you would have used on a Rule 5 pick instead.

It comes down to, what's the best 40-man I can assemble in the offseason? And what's the best 25-man I can field to start the season? Talent can be scarce, but not so scarce that Rule 5 picks need to be part of those roster equations, at the low odds of recent Rule 5 results. There's enough potential/talent available, in free agency, trades, etc., that it's easy to see why it's preferable for most teams to opt against drafting/rostering Rule 5 guys.

Edited by spycake, 20 November 2018 - 09:56 PM.

• Riverbrian, markos, Danchat and 3 others like this

#73 spycake

spycake

• 16,548 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:59 PM

As a baseball nerd, I love Rule 5, and I love rooting for underdogs like Rule 5 picks, but honestly, I think I'd rather see my favorite team have a better plan for talent acquisition and roster construction these days.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 9 others like this

#74 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:16 PM

As a baseball nerd, I love Rule 5, and I love rooting for underdogs like Rule 5 picks, but honestly, I think I'd rather see my favorite team have a better plan for talent acquisition and roster construction these days.

I just think there's no risk... Take a guy, and give him back... or turn him into Ryan Pressly. Either way I just mainly think it's silly to think that the team should just never take that option, whether they are a contender or not. 

• DocBauer and caninatl04 like this

#75 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,454 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:48 PM

In yet more former Twins 40-man issues...another long-time Twin is available again

MLBTR: Cubs Outright Johnny Field, Jerry Vasto

• Danchat and Doctor Wu like this

Is it 2020 yet?

#76 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,443 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:06 PM

I just think there's no risk... Take a guy, and give him back... or turn him into Ryan Pressly. Either way I just mainly think it's silly to think that the team should just never take that option, whether they are a contender or not.

I don’t think it is a never nor is it an always,

A rebuilding team can always find space. A contending team needs to find a player and role that fits the roster. In today’s game team’s utilize options to shuttle relievers. You don’t get options with a rule 5 player. If the Twins target a middle infielder that can compete with Adrianza for that bench spot it could be a fit. The back of the bullpen has to be flexible.
  • birdwatcher, Riverbrian, Dman and 2 others like this

#77 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,240 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:31 PM

The risk is keeping good players off the 25 man roster for a year. Contending teams probably shouldn't hamstring their manager that way.
  • birdwatcher, Riverbrian, Danchat and 4 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#78 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,584 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:53 AM

Then, of course, in 2017 he hit .313 against LHP with a .794 OPS (.809 OPS vs. RHP).THen, of course, in 2016 he hit .315 vs LHP with a .893 OPS (.823 OPS vs. RHP). Then, of course, in 2015 he hit .345 vs. LHP with a .966 OPS (.884 OPS vs. RHP).

So, with the single exception of 2018 when he played hurt, he has actually hit LHP better than RHP.I think that you can make some argument that the years previous to 2018 were at lower levels, but to claim he is "an automatic out against LHP" isn't true one iota until you cherry pick the statistics.

Thank you. Thought my crazy memory had gotten even crazier. Lol
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#79 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,584 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:02 AM

I'm glad Arraez was protected. I get he's probably ONLY a 2B. And I know Polanco will probably slide to 2B this next season or in the next couple. And I also get it may have been bard for someone to stash Arraez. But even if the Twins sign a quality infielder, which they HAVE TO DO, you need depth. This kid has an undeniable hit tool. We are hurting for depth at the upper levels. I think this was smart.
  • jorgenswest, Twins33, beckmt and 5 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#80 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,588 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 04:56 AM

While I’m a bit suspicious that Tyler Jay or Jake Reed will get picked, I am hoping that this is a sign the FO has plans to sign one or more free agent relievers this offseason, who are considerably better than Jay or Reed are or will ever be.
  • SF Twins Fan, caninatl04 and Doctor Wu like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nick gordon, lamonte wade, luis arraez, tyler jay, jake reed.