Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Add Gordon, Wade, Arraez To 40-Man Roster

nick gordon lamonte wade luis arraez tyler jay jake reed.
  • Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,908 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:13 AM

I thought Arraez would be rostered, but after reading this thread, I agree, he's unlikely to be taken due to his lack of positional flexibility and power. Good gamble. What's his ceiling, Bip Roberts without the speed? I don't know that it would be much of a loss.

Pedro Floriman with less glove and power but a slightly better bat.

Edited by gunnarthor, 20 November 2018 - 09:13 AM.

#22 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,759 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:22 AM

I thought Arraez would be rostered, but after reading this thread, I agree, he's unlikely to be taken due to his lack of positional flexibility and power. Good gamble. What's his ceiling, Bip Roberts without the speed? I don't know that it would be much of a loss.

Clayton Kershaw without the fastball but a little better bat.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, gil4 and 8 others like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,161 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

Clayton Kershaw without the fastball but a little better bat.

and throwing with the other arm

• ashbury likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#24 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,513 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:49 AM

I don't see Curtiss as a disappointment. He was great again at Rochester and just not given opportunities with the Twins. Busenitz at least got some chances, even if they were inconsistent. 

Regarding Jay... if you (or, the front office) think that he "probably" turns the corner this year and becomes what was projected, then he is a no-brainer to add. 

I don't know what to think of Jay, Seth.My thoughts are that if they don't protect him, he will probably be selected and then turn it around.Kind of thinking no matter what they do it will probably end up wrong.

And as for Curtiss, don't disagree he was great at Rochester.What is disappointing was that neither he, or any of these young guys, have come up and gotten it done for the Twins.When will one of these guys in the organization come up and be lights out from day 1.Will agree that most haven't been given much of an opportunity.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#25 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 445 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:16 AM

Can Arraez play SS? If not, he will be hard to roster. I haven’t seen him play. I know he has also played SS, 3B and LF but they may not be close to major league level.

Gordon and Wade would be easy for teams to roster.

I've seen him play a couple of times, and while he's not lights out amazing in the field... he does seem capable and dependable. In short he's got a good enough glove that he wouldn't be a liability at 2B (IMHO), especially if he keeps slapping the ball around the field like he does.

#26 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,492 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:40 AM

I think Jay is the most likely to get taken. He can be rostered as a LOOGY as well as the usual rule 5 mop up role.

It is hard to see where Arraez will fit as a bench player. Teams will still need a back up at SS in addition to him on the bench. He doesn’t offer much as a pinch runner. He doesn’t offer power yet. A team could try to stash him for a year and then put him back in the minors for 2020.

I wonder about Navarreto. Is there a parallel to Stuart Turner? Teams can easily roster a good defensive catcher that can’t hit as a back up. They would then return Navarreto to the minors for 2020.
  • gunnarthor likes this

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

• 10,161 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:48 AM

I wonder about Navarreto. Is there a parallel to Stuart Turner? Teams can easily roster a good defensive catcher that can’t hit as a back up. They would then return Navarre to to the minors for 2020.

Stuart had a career.660 MiLB OPS and managed to achieve a .426 MLB OPS with the Reds before was sent down this season.Not much of a loss. 

Navaretto's career MiLB OPS is .575.If anyone wants him, more power to them, but will not even project to a .350 OPS in the majors...

• Mike Sixel, Tomj14 and caninatl04 like this
-----

#28 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,759 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:53 AM

Stuart had a career.660 MiLB OPS and managed to achieve a .426 MLB OPS with the Reds before was sent down this season.Not much of a loss. 

Navaretto's career MiLB OPS is .575.If anyone wants him, more power to them, but will not even project to a .350 OPS in the majors...

I'm going to stick my neck out for him and project high .500s or even cross the .600 OPS line in the majors, in a couple years. :)

• Seth Stohs, birdwatcher, Thrylos and 1 other like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#29 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,530 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:26 AM

2018 MiLB numbers in AA and AAA

against RHP: .281/.391/.409

against LHP: .189/.266/.297

No. He does not hit LHPs.He is pretty much an automatic out against them.He does mash against RHP.

The Twins already have 4 lefty throwing OFs on their 4 man roster.How given is a 5th?Or an 8th total OF?Meanwhile the infielder roster, including 1B sits at just 5.

It is a numbers game

Agree, and good points regarding Wade. He's really only a no-brainer in the sense that he was way more likely to get chosen than the other's (save for Gordon and maybe Jay). On the other hand, it's not at all obvious that Wade would be better than Grossman in late-inning at-bats, or better than Cave all-around in a longer-term role. The larger point is that, with those two, plus Granite and Michael Reed already on the roster...how many reserve outfielders can you afford on the 40-man?...and how many can bat left-handed? For sure, not that many. You have to believe one or two of these names will be gone by spring training.

With regard to Jay...given the pool of guys that need protection (not much there), and given the pitching jetsam and flotsam that already litters the 40-man (and can be eliminated without pain)...the Twins need to be absolutely POSITIVE about Jay to not protect him.

• howieramone2 likes this

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,781 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:51 AM

Per Doogie: The #MNTwins will leave Tyler Jay exposed:

• nater79a and MN_ExPat like this

#31 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:19 PM

Do we know for sure that he wasn't a top 10 pick by accident? Because that would kind of explain the pick.
  • USAFChief, nicksaviking, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

#32 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,975 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:24 PM

6th overall pick in 2015 is not worthwhile to stash on the 40 man... What a shame.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan and 7 others like this

#33 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,624 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:06 PM

Do we know for sure that he wasn't a top 10 pick by accident? Because that would kind of explain the pick.

perhaps... but it wasn't like that one surprised the pundits. Most mocks had him going in the top 10.

• birdwatcher, RaymondLuxuryYacht, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#34 dougd

dougd

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 101 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

It is often not real helpful to compare the total minor league numbers of a player signed out of high school with a player signed after graduating from college. In their age 23 seasons, both playing in AA, Navaretto and Turner had basically the same OPS. [.619]. Turner improved to .686 the following year, repeating AA, and was selected by Cincinnati. Turner had quite a few more strikeouts and walks than Navaretto, so I remain hopeful that Brian can have a Drew Butera type of career.

• howieramone2 likes this

#35 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 388 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:29 PM

I don't think anyone else will be added for the final 2 spots but would like to see Jake Reed added. 

Arraez doesn't seem likely to be selected.

#36 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,009 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:29 PM

6th overall pick in 2015 is not worthwhile to stash on the 40 man... What a shame.

Coming on the heels of the prior year when a 4th overall pick wasn't worth stashing on the 40-man.  

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and caninatl04 like this

#37 Thrylos

Thrylos

• 10,161 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:45 PM

The actual shame is that the person who made all of those first round picks, including the other wasted ones is still in the Twins' organization...

• Mike Sixel, darin617 and 108Stitches like this
-----

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,836 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:56 PM

The actual shame is that the person who made all of those first round picks, including the other wasted ones is still in the Twins' organization...

gotta concur here. This team is where it is because they have utterly failed at picking high with those two picks. Not just a small fail, but complete so far. Maybe Stewart bounce back....but Jay will be claimed and they will have bupkiss to show for the 6th overall pick just a few years ago. 

• 108Stitches likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#39 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,492 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:58 PM

I hope the open spots will not result in them taking a player in rule 5.

A pitcher nearly guarantees an extra man in the bullpen and a bat like Astudillo in AAA. The only pick might be a middle infielder on the bench who competes with Adrianza for the roster spot.
  • Mike Sixel, bluechipper and wabene like this

#40 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 388 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 02:03 PM

Coming on the heels of the prior year when a 4th overall pick wasn't worth stashing on the 40-man.  

I don't think of either of them as "not worth stashing".I think of them as unlikely to be drafted or highly unlikely to succeed on another team if drafted (returned).

Its clear Jay isn't ready for MLB time and needs more time to develop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nick gordon, lamonte wade, luis arraez, tyler jay, jake reed.