Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Chih-Wei Hu traded to Cleveland

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:55 AM

Its been quite here lately so i thought Id post about a trade of one of our former prospects we traded to Tampa Bay for Kevin Jepsen was traded to Cleveland to pitch in their pen. Hu was a starter for us in the minors and was mostly up in high A with one successful AAA start. With Tampa they had him start in the minors then moved to the pen in the majors. He is a flyball pitcher who throws 93 mph.

https://www.baseball...Linker&utm_sour

https://www.mlbtrade...hu-indians.html
  • glunn, Dance with Disco Dan and Sconnie like this

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,926 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:06 AM

Its been quite here lately so i thought Id post about a trade of one of our former prospects we traded to Tampa Bay for Kevin Jepsen was traded to Cleveland to pitch in their pen. Hu was a starter for us in the minors and was mostly up in high A with one successful AAA start. With Tampa they had him start in the minors then moved to the pen in the majors. He is a flyball pitcher who throws 93 mph.

https://www.baseball...Linker&utm_sour

https://www.mlbtrade...hu-indians.html

The Hu jokes in the comments live on!

#3 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

I didn't like this trade at the time. Let's hope he doesn't dominate the Twins....

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,347 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:23 AM

If you didn't like the Hu trade, then you can't ever complain if the Twins make win-now trades. They traded a future Kevin Jepsen (if he's lucky) for the current Kevin Jepsen. Jepsen was fantastic for us down the stretch in 2015, after we had suffered through 4 losing seasons and were trying to make the playoffs. 

Complaints about that trade are ridiculous. 

• Brock Beauchamp, Carole Keller, PseudoSABR and 11 others like this

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,962 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:46 AM

If you didn't like the Hu trade, then you can't ever complain if the Twins make win-now trades. They traded a future Kevin Jepsen (if he's lucky) for the current Kevin Jepsen. Jepsen was fantastic for us down the stretch in 2015, after we had suffered through 4 losing seasons and were trying to make the playoffs.

Exactly. I consider that trade a win for the Twins. Jepsen at least made an impact for the Twins. Hu barely pitched in the majors in 3 years with Tampa. If Hu was still with the Twins we would have been waiting until now for him to do something? Hard pass.
  • Twins33, bluechipper, howieramone2 and 2 others like this

#6 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:19 PM

I'm an irrational prospect hoarder, so I didn't like it at the time either.  But I like it in hindsight.  I hope all traded Twins' prospects have solid--but unspectacular--careers.

• birdwatcher, nicksaviking, rdehring and 1 other like this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

I suppose there were a few people who didn't want to trade Hu, but if memory serves, the overwhelming gripe was that the front office ONLY traded for Jepsen when they should have done much more. 

But I'm not crying over Hu. Just another baseball footnote, I don't see the Twins rueing the day they traded him. Alexis Tapia on the other hand......huge mistake!

• birdwatcher and Danchat like this

#8 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:53 PM

The Rays needed space on the 40. Hu was going to be available. Alex Tapia the other player In the trade never made it out of A ball. Jepsen gave them valuable innings as they competed for a play off spot in 2015.
  • birdwatcher and Vanimal46 like this

#9 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

I'm an irrational prospect hoarder, so I didn't like it at the time either.  But I like it in hindsight.  I hope all traded Twins' prospects have solid--but unspectacular--careers.

is just another guy that wouldn't have been good enough for the Twins 40 man, which is why I am for trading prospects for proven talent.

• gunnarthor and howieramone2 like this

#10 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 01:51 PM

I was happy about the trade for Jepsen. Just I was also a fan of Hu too. I always wanted to see him have success in MLB. Just a lot less now that he is with Cleveland. I also wanted to see Jepsen have continued success too but that didn't go well.

#11 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:07 PM

Who is to say the Twins could not have traded someone other than Hu? Also, I didn't "complain about the trade" -- I simply said I didn't like it, and that is based purely on losing Hu.

The Twins didn't win anything in 2015, btw.

I don't expect Hu to be the best thing since sliced bread or anything, but he was starting to shine when the Twins set him free. (I have no clue how he has played since, mind you, but with just a cursory glance it looks like he could have been a nice asset out of the pen.) He's still only 25!

Also, who do you trust more: Cleveland's ability to rate a pitcher, or then-Twins management's ability to rate one?

I'm pleasantly surprised that Hu is remembered at all. He seemed to appear on everyone's radar at the same time and was traded very quickly after that.

Edited by Doomtints, 19 November 2018 - 02:27 PM.

• dgwills and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#12 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:11 PM

The Rays needed space on the 40. Hu was going to be available. Alex Tapia the other player In the trade never made it out of A ball. Jepsen gave them valuable innings as they competed for a play off spot in 2015.

Hey, nick could still be right about the huge Tapia mistake. I see he's been converted to the mound in Venezuelan Winter ball for Aragua and is sporting a nifty 4.85 ERA.

#13 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

I had worked hard to forget Jepsen ever donned a Twins uniform, then this thread showed up......

• Vanimal46 likes this

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:55 AM

My recollection was that people didn't like it was the only move. Why bother, if you are not really trying?
  • Doomtints likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#15 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:53 AM

And whatever happened to Jepsen? Actually, he was with the Texas Rangers in spring training last year and made the club,only to get released again in May. Not sure if he played anywhere after that or not?

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,442 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 06:42 PM

God, yes, so much this. It was a fair trade. A good reliever for a middling pitching prospect.

• Carole Keller, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 2 others like this

#17 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:37 PM

Hu was putting up some decent numbers at A+ as a starter when they traded him for Jepsen, which is one of the reasons I didn't love the trade, but I didn't realize that Hu wasn't a high caliber prospect. So the Twins didn't lose much (Tapia probably isn't going to reach the MLB), and getting a couple good months out of Jepsen was worth it.

Of course, they also got a full control of Jepsen's 2016 season... which promptly ended in disaster in a stint as the closer, so it's hard to really call the trade a win. (Plus TR needed to do more at the deadline if they actually wanted to make the playoffs.)

#18 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,756 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:16 AM

The Hu jokes in the comments live on!

That was my only complaint about the trade - I really liked the Hu's on first jokes."When you pay the guy on first, Hu get's the money?" "Every dollar of it. Sometimes his wife comes in to pick it up." "Hu's wife?" "Yes" 

It's tough to give that up.

• Sconnie likes this

#19 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:10 AM

I don't expect Hu to be the best thing since sliced bread 

What was the best thing before sliced bread was invented?

#20 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:03 PM

Cheese.