Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Add To Coaching Staff

tommy watkins derek shelton tony diaz jeremy hefner rocco baldelli
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:22 AM

I'm pretty sure that Baldelli could present several names and maybe got a couple of 'his' guys considered, but my assumption is that the decision is ultimately Falvey's since he's the Chief Baseball Operator and wants to make sure that the coaches are matching up with his philosophies. 

• SD Buhr and MN_ExPat like this

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:29 AM

I especially like the pick of Tony Diaz as third base coach. Very wise decision to get a Spanish-speaking coach involved at the MLB level. And the guy even wrote a book that gave English language advice to Latin players. Good move!

Yeah, Rudy Hernandez has probably been the one voicewho spoke Spanish as his primary language. It will be good to have a second coach on the staff with speaks the language fluently.

• brvama likes this

#23 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 01:02 PM

Falvey has his coaching staff. Falvey has a lot of flexibility with the budget. This is his team now and real progress must be evident this year.
  • ashburyjohn, USAFChief, birdwatcher and 5 others like this

#24 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:58 PM

I always wondered what coaches were paid, and amazed that they do make less than your beginning major league player. A professional where the average salary of the playing employees is bigger than that 90% of the people running the ship. Go figure.

Coaching is all about accumulating service years to qualify for the MLB pension plan. Heard second hand straight from the mouth of a former Twins coaching staff member. The coaches are generally tied to the manager, so they hope that manager has a job somewhere for enough years to get them a full pension. 

#25 JLease

JLease

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:00 AM

Looks like a solid group. I'm not worried about their youth/lack of lengthy MLB coaching experience. It's not like this staff is filled up with people who have never coached before. There's some good diversity of experience and background that looks like a positive. Hopefully, they'll be able to work together effectively (probably the most underrated aspect of a coaching staff).

• brvama likes this

#26 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:07 AM

Looks like a solid group. I'm not worried about their youth/lack of lengthy MLB coaching experience. It's not like this staff is filled up with people who have never coached before. There's some good diversity of experience and background that looks like a positive. Hopefully, they'll be able to work together effectively (probably the most underrated aspect of a coaching staff).

Exactly my thoughts. Once the coaching staff becomes a team, I think it could be a very good one.

#27 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 01:33 PM

I believe it is time for the FO to start thinking about the players these men will coach.

#28 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 05:56 PM

I’m really interested to see how the pitching staff will be handled this year. With no veteran workhorse innings eater type and a number of guys pushing up from AAA. Free agent signings could be a big clue. If they go heavy on the bullpen I wouldn’t be surprised to see an opener, or maybe something even newer, going on this year.

#29 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 06:19 PM

Love this new staff - mainly for this: they aren't gonna drive old school @#$% down the throats of young players, but grow with them. 

I don't expects a lot of big name FA adds of veteran players(unless they are that Thome kind of teammate). This is a quiet rebuild IMO, with lots of emphasis on development, and maximizing existing assets.

• birdwatcher likes this

#30 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:17 AM

Looked at the Twins website.They have all these new guys listed, but still show Guardado as the bullpen coach.I know it has been reported that he is gone.But why hasn't he been removed like the others?Could it be that Hefner is in fact an assistant pitching coach and Guardado has been retained as the bullpen guy?

Confusing!

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

Twins officially announced their final coach:

TWINS FINALIZE COACHING STAFF

Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN – The Minnesota Twins announced today their final coaching addition for the 2019 season.Former Chicago Cubs, New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays coach Bill Evers will serve as Major League Coach under Manager Rocco Baldelli.

Evers, 64, will also assist with catching instruction at the major league level.The New York native has spent over 30 years as a major league coach, minor league coach, minor league manager and minor league field coordinator for the Cubs, Yankees and Rays.Evers joined Tampa Bay during their inaugural season in 1998, and managed the Triple-A Durham Bulls from 1998-2005.He joined the Rays major league staff for the 2006-2007 seasons as bench coach under Manager Joe Maddon.Evers was a scout for the Rays for the 2008-2009 seasons and has been serving as the Rays minor league field coordinator since 2010.

Evers compiled a 1,381-1,206 record (.534) as a minor league manager and with more than 2,500 games managed he ranks among all-time minor league leaders.

#32 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,514 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 04:06 PM

Twins officially announced their final coach:

TWINS FINALIZE COACHING STAFF

Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN – The Minnesota Twins announced today their final coaching addition for the 2019 season. Former Chicago Cubs, New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays coach Bill Evers will serve as Major League Coach under Manager Rocco Baldelli.

Evers, 64, will also assist with catching instruction at the major league level. The New York native has spent over 30 years as a major league coach, minor league coach, minor league manager and minor league field coordinator for the Cubs, Yankees and Rays. Evers joined Tampa Bay during their inaugural season in 1998, and managed the Triple-A Durham Bulls from 1998-2005. He joined the Rays major league staff for the 2006-2007 seasons as bench coach under Manager Joe Maddon. Evers was a scout for the Rays for the 2008-2009 seasons and has been serving as the Rays minor league field coordinator since 2010.

Evers compiled a 1,381-1,206 record (.534) as a minor league manager and with more than 2,500 games managed he ranks among all-time minor league leaders.

Seth, is the asst pitching coach the BP coach? Are they doing away with that definition?

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#33 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,145 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 21 November 2018 - 04:37 PM

So they’ve gone from the previous stinkers to giving Evers his chance?
  • ashburyjohn, lecroy24fan, birdwatcher and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#34 Rigby

Rigby

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:01 PM

Success guaranteed if he can bring 3 Fingers Brown with him...

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief and birdwatcher like this

#35 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:08 PM

Seth, is the asst pitching coach the BP coach? Are they doing away with that definition?

I saw it was mentioned by Dan Hayes that Hefner would be handing bullpen duties but wouldn't necessarily start the game in the bullpen.

Edited by lecroy24fan, 21 November 2018 - 05:13 PM.

#36 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:14 PM

Sad Lexicon indeed

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief and birdwatcher like this

#37 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,977 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:27 PM

that-would-be-great-kill-me-meme.jpg

• USAFChief likes this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#38 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:28 AM

I got it!

Not gonna lie, took me about a minute and a half to two minutes, but I got it!
  • USAFChief and Nine of twelve like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#39 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:48 AM

I don't drink, but if I did, I'd have to say that my stein fel(d)t pretty good about these choices.

• ashburyjohn and USAFChief like this

#40 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:14 AM

I saw it was mentioned by Dan Hayes that Hefner would be handing bullpen duties but wouldn't necessarily start the game in the bullpen.

Are they going to use an Opener out there? 

• USAFChief likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tommy watkins, derek shelton, tony diaz, jeremy hefner, rocco baldelli