Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

What does Arizona take for Greinke?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,931 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:45 AM

Too old, too expensive, move on.

i disagree, Greinke only has 3 years left, free agency tends to be 4 years + for high end starters, no matter the age.

According to mlb trade rumors, Twins are favored to sign JA Happ, who’s 36 and is projected to get a 3 year deal.

I’d definitely prefer Greinki. Low prospect cost or bringing in additional prospects depending on how much salary the Twins take on.
  • beckmt, TheLeviathan and howieramone2 like this

#42 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 18 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

I would take Greinke over last off season's Darvish 10 times out of 10. Any team doing a full rebuild would drool looking at our farm system.

#43 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:31 PM

Why can't they ever go Evoldi big?From everything I have read they aren't going for anything big this year either.I don't think they ever will.This was to be the year with Mauer gone that they would go big.Now it is next year next year it will be next year.I wish they would bring Santana back but that won't happen and I am sure that is good for Santana!

#44 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:53 PM

I wouldn't do it unless it is for only B level prospects or lower (i.e., no Graterol or Larnach or higher) and they eat a decent amount (at least 1/3) of salary. Since that is unlikely, I probably wouldn't do it.

• Major League Ready, DocBauer and Dakota Diver like this

#45 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 04:26 PM

Kohl Stewart and Zach Littel for Greinke and 10 mil per year. Going forward you can expect #4 production from Greinke I think and that’s worth ~ 10-15 on the open market. So I expect more of a salary dump type trade. I’m not willing to give up any of Gonzo, Jay, Thorpe group for that contract.
  • DocBauer likes this

#46 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,000 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 November 2018 - 04:36 PM

Kohl Stewart and Zach Littel for Greinke and 10 mil per year. Going forward you can expect #4 production from Greinke I think and that’s worth ~ 10-15 on the open market. So I expect more of a salary dump type trade. I’m not willing to give up any of Gonzo, Jay, Thorpe group for that contract.

They apparently will give Greinke and his contract to the team that offers the nicest supply of pitcher's rosin or sunflower seeds. They won't, however, pay $30M for Stewart and Littel, methinks.

• Sconnie and tvagle like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#47 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 04:44 PM

Maybe $30 mil is too much but it’s not for Stewart and Little it’s for getting rid of the other $60 left on the books.

#48 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,000 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

Maybe $30 mil is too much but it’s not for Stewart and Little it’s for getting rid of the other $60 left on the books.

If they find no takers for the straight transfer I suggested, then yep, that might be where they turn next. I'm guessing it will stop well short of that.

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#49 Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

• Members
  • 757 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 November 2018 - 06:52 PM

Not worth dreaming about imho.

#50 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 06:56 PM

Why not take on the whole contract? The Twins are in better position to do this than most other teams. The Twins can start by expecting a prospect exchange in their favor to take on the whole contract.
  • Sconnie likes this

#51 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:55 PM

I'd rather have Pax. My eagle spirit guide says he is Big Medicine.

#52 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:33 PM

I'd rather have Pax. My eagle spirit guide says he is Big Medicine.

Yanks decided they wanted him.

#53 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:15 PM

What would it take to get: Madbum, Belt & Panik from the Giants?

#54 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:37 PM

What would it take to get: Madbum, Belt & Panik from the Giants?

If I was the Giants... I wouldn't be as concerned about moving money off the books as I would be about tearing it down and rebuilding a pretty crappy farm system. In other words... I wouldn't want anything to lessen the decent prospects I would get back in a Madison Bumgarner deal. 

Madbum is a bargain at 12M. He has 1 year left and will probably cost some prospects that we'd hate to give up. 

Brandon Belt has 3 years left on his deal at 17.2 million a year and the Giants would love to move his contract to anyone who would take it. 

Panik... He's alright... He has two years of control and just might fetch a prospect in return. 

Basically... If I'm Farhan Zaidi... I'm keeping Belt as far away from a Bumgarner trade as possible.

I would absolutely start tearing it down and I'd be moving any player that brought back a decent prospect because I think they are in a bad place at the moment. The problem is that they don't have a lot of players who will bring back decent prospects. They are old, expensive, injured or under-performing primarily. 

I'm trading Bumgarner in a deal all by himself for maximum return of prospects.

The Giants have always had high payroll so I'm eating the Belt deal and taking whatever production he gives me for the duration because no GM is going to call asking for him. 

Any team, that calls for Bumgarner, will hear Zaidi on the other end asking for whoever their top prospect and he probably won't move from that position. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#55 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:51 PM

If I knew Mad Bum will commit to a long term deal with the Twins after this year I'd part with Lewis with no hesitation. That guy is the definition of a work horse ace. He's a unicorn in today's MLB.
  • DocBauer likes this

#56 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:45 PM

I think most teams view Greinke as a 3 year 25 million per season as solid. So Arizona would only need to kick in 20 million in a trade that should net decent talent back. We clearly have the prospects to make that work. I don't think Arizona would take Odorizzi and throw in 20 million. But maybe we could include him and get 15 million and include a few mlb ready prospects. Arizona could use the savings to resign Goldschmidt.
So I think Odorizzi, May (an inexpensive bullpen arm) and Mejia for Greinke and at least 15 million to as close to 20 million as possible could work for both sides.

As much as I would like Greinke, I don't think the Twins are up for that expense. And if payroll is at most 110 million then neither am I.

Edited by Brandon, 19 November 2018 - 07:48 PM.

#57 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:07 PM

If I knew Mad Bum will commit to a long term deal with the Twins after this year I'd part with Lewis with no hesitation. That guy is the definition of a work horse ace. He's a unicorn in today's MLB.

I think he'd be an excellent opener.

• gunnarthor, Rigby, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#58 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,629 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:21 PM

If the red flags with Pax were enough to drive his price down that far....imagine the offers AZ is getting for Grienke and his red flags.

#59 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,582 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:19 PM

Does anyone really think the Twins will trade for Greinke? Based on all the years of history, and two off seasons of basically doing nothing?

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#60 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,629 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:00 PM

Does anyone really think the Twins will trade for Greinke? Based on all the years of history, and two off seasons of basically doing nothing?

No, but if we used that rationale before posting we could all but shut this thing down.

• Mike Sixel likes this