Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Offseason Blueprint: Bargain Bin Shopping (Part 1)

brian dozier joe mauer freddy galvis tyler austin robbie grossman
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:33 PM

Polanco to 2B.Iglesias to SS for 2-3 years until Lewis is ready.Moustakas is the name I'd like....3B?1B/DH with Sano.Austin also gets 1B/DH ABs vs lefties.

#22 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:05 PM

I am betraying my years with this response, but "Bargain Bin Shopping" to me does not constitute 8 Million Dollar a year annual contracts. Mining the "Bargain Bin" means: LOW COST Major League Free Agents, Minor League Free Agents, Rule Five Draft Players, Independent League Players, Minor League Players buried behind established players in other organizations, Players from Japanese Baseball, Players from Korean Baseball, Players from all over the rest of the world, Players NOT in the Game in 2018 and anyone else who has slipped in between the cracks.
  • dgwills likes this

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,977 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:21 PM

I am betraying my years with this response, but "Bargain Bin Shopping" to me does not constitute 8 Million Dollar a year annual contracts. Mining the "Bargain Bin" means: LOW COST Major League Free Agents, Minor League Free Agents, Rule Five Draft Players, Independent League Players, Minor League Players buried behind established players in other organizations, Players from Japanese Baseball, Players from Korean Baseball, Players from all over the rest of the world, Players NOT in the Game in 2018 and anyone else who has slipped in between the cracks.

There's a phrase for this. "Replacement Level." A full team of these will have a few hits, many misses, and lead you to about 40-50 wins. You have to be an awfully astute GM to pick out only the hits.

• Minny505 and railmarshalljon like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#24 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:38 PM

My thoughts as well. Not that I want the Twin's to do that. We all remember the Carl Pohlad days.

#25 mitcho8

mitcho8

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:39 PM

I would prefer Justin Bour to Matt Adams. Slightly better overall numbers vs RHP and cheaper. 

Edited by mitcho8, 15 November 2018 - 08:40 PM.

#26 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:25 AM

So we sign Adams, Dozier, and Nelson Cruz and our lineup is full of power with Sano, Rosario, Austin, and Kepler all providing 20 - 40 HR pop
  • howieramone2 likes this

#27 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:49 PM

My earlier comment about "Bargain Bin Shopping" is a commentary on the use of that term versus the identification (and cost) of players falling into that criteria. I am neither advocating that the Twins nor any other MLB team field a team of 25 players out of the bargain bin. That said, to construct or complete a roster of a competitive team WITHOUT just throwing big dollars chasing high buck free agents takes a considerably higher level of ability. Greater front office skills in: talent identification, talent evaluation, talent recruitment, talent acquisition, talent development, trade negotiations, out of the box thinking and just plain GUTS, can beat a big wallet.
  • ashburyjohn and Major League Ready like this

#28 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:58 AM

I'm probably in the minority on this board, but I think that going after aging sluggers like Nelson Cruz and Carlos Santana would be a mistake, or at least not worth the money. But I lower tier hitter, and a younger one, like Matt Adams would be fine.

#29 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:56 PM

My preference in the middle infield is one year guys. I expect Gordon to rebound and reach the majors this year. I expect Lewis in May 2020. I don’t want to be committed to any of the free agent middle infielders beyond this year.
  • howieramone2 likes this

#30 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 04:42 PM

A lot of options out there in the infield free agent list this year, and enough depth to get some nice deals I think. Jose Iglesias, DJ Lemaheu, Mike Moustakas, Marwin Gonzales, Daniel Murphy could all be had on affordable deals.
Curveball, Eddie Rosario played a lot of 2nd in the minors.

#31 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:05 PM

I think too many teams will be in a Gonzales given his versatility.

I am also concerned that one fantastic year distorts his value. He has 4 other years in his prime centered around 730 OPS and one great year. I would expect around 730 this year and decline from there. He will also decline defensively. His bat won’t play well on a corner as he ages.

The Astros have the space to extend him. Why didn’t they? If think he will get three or more years and I don’t want to pay for that decline. I would love to have his 2019 season though.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#32 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 02:35 AM

I guess the clock is running on Hayato Sakamoto. I really thought he would ask the Giants to post him, but maybe he decided he'd rather just stay in Tokyo. He probably has five more years of top quality baseball left in him I would say. He keeps himself in great shape but I wonder if interest has waned because of his age...

#33 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:57 AM

That actually is a pretty cheap deal for a FA in 2018. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier, joe mauer, freddy galvis, tyler austin, robbie grossman