Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Minor League Coaches/Coordinators

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,624 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:26 PM

The Twins made some changes this offseason already in their minor league system. Pitching coaches Ivan Arteaga and Henry Bonilla were let go, some traning positions. 

I'm sure over time we'll hear about new coaches, but the Twins have added at least a couple of people to their player development staff... 

What I've heard is that he is likely to be involved on the pitching side in some way. Not sure specifically yet. 

Infield and Base Running Coordinator:

• nclahammer likes this

#2 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:36 PM

Thanks I was just wondering how the coaching and development staffs were coming. Although I haven't a clue about these two.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,820 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:32 PM

Here is Zach Bove's website.Really interesting stuff.A very good pickup for the Twins

• birdwatcher, brvama, jokin and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,802 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:55 AM

no complaints there. I'm somewhat curious about the new strenght/conditioning guys they are going to bring in...

Also wondering if they bring in AK's dad at some point...

#5 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:15 AM

Here is Zach Bove's website.Really interesting stuff.A very good pickup for the Twins

This is a very interesting article, thanks for sharing. After reading it, I have a better understanding of what the FO wants and is doing. If Bove is an example, they seem to believe that good coaches can coach at any level and endorsing technology is very relevant in today's game. While I'm 40 years older I think they are not only adjusting to the new technology but also the new generation. I'm on board and think they'll have success.
  • birdwatcher and howieramone2 like this

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,624 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:05 PM

With Billy Boyer taking over a the minor league infield and base running coordinator, makes me assume that Sam Perlozzo is out... which would be unfortunate, unless he retired or something. 

#7 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:25 AM

With Billy Boyer taking over a the minor league infield and base running coordinator, makes me assume that Sam Perlozzo is out... which would be unfortunate, unless he retired or something. 

Seth, let us know if you hear anything about Perlozzo. It seems to me (faulty memory or my own advancing years?) that he has been with the Twins forever!

#8 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:34 AM

Thank you for telling us about this guy's blog, thrylos. Much to the chagrin of my family, I found it fascinating. Also, I learned a lot of useless things. ;)

Two takeaways:

In his blog, Bove goes into some discussion about individualizing a player's development. I realized I have NEVER heard a single Twins player mention being given some kind of agreed-upon, formalized improvement plan. I'm guessing the mainstream guys wouldn't be likely to ask about such things, since it would not be of interest to the average consumer of their work product. But I hope that my talented pals who write for TD will gain access to some key development guy soon and grill them on all the things going on. Which is a lot, both in terms of new video and software technology and with changes in approach. These new hires are indicative of some exciting movement in the wheels of progress.

"Not all of my players have improved their velocity and command, or had success with pitch design, and that is MY fault." Not verbatim, but it sure sounds good, doesn't it? And this from a guy who's not the best candidate for a role in pitching development.

Anyway, I encourage people to disappoint those around them and take the time to read this guy's blog. Again, thanks, thrylos.

Edited by birdwatcher, 01 December 2018 - 09:09 AM.

• tarheeltwinsfan and Doctor Wu like this

#9 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:47 AM

Fascinating. 

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,624 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:00 AM

Like Zach Bove (who will be a pitching coach in the GCL), Ryan Smith comes from the College of Central Florida, a JuCo in Ocala.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,624 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:01 AM

Jeff Johnson from The Gazette in Cedar Rapids with an interesting late-night rumor on possible Twins minor league managerial movement.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,624 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:20 AM

Rochester Coaching staff:

Manager: Joel Skinner (returns)

Hitting Coach: Javier Valentin (up from AA)

Pitching Coach: Stu Cliburn (returns)

4th Coach: Mike McCarthy (returns)

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,624 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

Lots more minor league signings over the last month: 

• Carole Keller likes this

#14 Jim Hahn

Jim Hahn

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

Am I right and all these guys are college coaches who have never played professional ball? If that is true, I am not sure what to make of it. I would think there are a lot of former professional players with an analytical bent, who could make great coaches. So my question is the FO deliberately avoiding hiring guys with professional experience? If that is the case, I would be interested in why. I don't know if you or anyone else might have some insight into this, but I am curious.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,624 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:34 PM

Am I right and all these guys are college coaches who have never played professional ball? If that is true, I am not sure what to make of it. I would think there are a lot of former professional players with an analytical bent, who could make great coaches. So my question is the FO deliberately avoiding hiring guys with professional experience? If that is the case, I would be interested in why. I don't know if you or anyone else might have some insight into this, but I am curious.

I 100% think that is a very fair question. I obviously don't know what the philosophy is, but they are definitely getting away from anything related to traditional. The thing that makes it interesting is that these guys are coming from all over the country, different levels. A guy from Northern Colorado, a guy from Wisconsin-LaCrosse, two guys from the College of Central Florida... I mean, I can't claim to understand it. I am intrigued by it. 

• Carole Keller, Han Joelo, birdwatcher and 1 other like this

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,820 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:56 PM

I think that it is interesting to get all these College coaches.For one, College coaches are experts in dealing with and relating to 18-22 year olds, unlike recycled "seasoned" professional coaches...

• Carole Keller, Han Joelo and howieramone2 like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#17 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:00 PM

I 100% think that is a very fair question. I obviously don't know what the philosophy is, but they are definitely getting away from anything related to traditional. The thing that makes it interesting is that these guys are coming from all over the country, different levels. A guy from Northern Colorado, a guy from Wisconsin-LaCrosse, two guys from the College of Central Florida... I mean, I can't claim to understand it. I am intrigued by it.

Intrigued is a good word. As am I intrigued.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#18 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,171 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

Finding some solitary diamond in the rough, down at the amateur athlete level, could be genius.

But going with it as a guiding strategy? This reminds me of the draft where Terry Ryan went for a lot of college relievers who he wanted to convert to starters - there aren't too many market inefficiencies out there.

Call me skeptical but always hopeful.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

It is not real work unless you would rather be doing something else.

#19 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,366 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:58 PM

I can't see anything wrong with these hires.

And I see Toby Gardenhire mentioned in this thread. He checks all the boxes: played professionally (got to AAA), but also coached in college, coached in the minors, and I can guarantee you is more analytical than his old man. :)
  • Carole Keller likes this

#20 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:24 PM

Finding some solitary diamond in the rough, down at the amateur athlete level, could be genius.

But going with it as a guiding strategy? This reminds me of the draft where Terry Ryan went for a lot of college relievers who he wanted to convert to starters - there aren't too many market inefficiencies out there.

Call me skeptical but always hopeful.

I don't see much, if any, parallel between the two situations. I doubt that hiring college coaches is even the "strategy" . . . it's probably the case instead that they are looking for forward-thinking guys and are having more success finding them in the college ranks, for whatever reasons. 

One possibility, for instance, is that it's harder to get someone to make a lateral move from another MLB organization, as opposed to giving someone their first pro job. Another might be that college coaches are able to speak more freely about the approaches they are using.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.