Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Baseball America's Top Ten Twins Prospects

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,160 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:29 AM

Looks like Mike Berardino was again in charge of the Twins rankings for Baseball America's Top Prospects. Here are his choices for the top ten:

1- Royce Lewis

2- Alex Kirilloff

3- Brusdar Graterol

4- Wander Javier

5- Trevor Larnach

6- Brent Rooker

7- Jhoan Duran

8- Blayne Enlow

9- Ryan Jeffers

10- Yunior Severino

https://www.baseball...onal/?year=2019

He will be answering Twins minor league questions at 10:00 today (Monday, 11/12/18). 

• glunn, PseudoSABR, nytwinsfan and 1 other like this

#2 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:21 AM

Very happy to see Duran getting some love.

• Twins33 and dbminn like this

#3 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:46 AM

Top Ceiling Guys.  Using his ranking criteria, who'd be the next five? Baddoo? Miranda?  Celestino?  Maciel?  Alcala?  Balazovic?  Rortveldt?  Maybe I should check the chat.

Edit--he's mentioned Miranda as probably number 11.  Badoo was close.  Balazovic not close to top ten, but a helium guy.  Someone asked about Thorpe; he's seen as a 3/4 upside guy.  Rortveldt still with lots of work to do.

Edited by Han Joelo, 12 November 2018 - 10:52 AM.

• glunn and birdwatcher like this

#4 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:49 AM

Am I missing something with Lewis Thorpe? He seems to always get knocked on these lists. I'd have him at 7.

• Steve Lein, glunn, TNTwinsFan and 3 others like this

#5 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:04 PM

Am I missing something with Lewis Thorpe? He seems to always get knocked on these lists. I'd have him at 7.

Lists like this tend to put more weight on ceiling than floor.
I really like Thorpe's floor, but he doesn't really have ace potential.
  • Twins33, bluechipper, Minny505 and 1 other like this

#6 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:09 PM

No Gordon? 

How the mightly have fallen... 

• h2oface likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#7 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:13 PM

Judging by the K/9 rate Thorpe put up in his minor league career...they only have him as a 3/4 upside?!?! That's on par with Kohl Stewart and Gonsalves...I'd say he's probably somewhere in between Romero and Stewart in the 2ish range. But, then again, I'm a nobody. Just wish he would get more love as I think he's a dark horse to hit the Twins' rotation this year.
  • Steve Lein, DocBauer, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,838 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:18 PM

No Gordon?

Sad, really... Wish they traded him last year while he was still a top 100 prospect in baseball.
  • Thrylos, darin617, Teflon and 5 others like this

#9 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:32 PM

I confess to knowing little about Duran and need to do some research. Still, very surprised to not see Thorpe on the top 10. Also surprised no Gonsalves. I expected him to struggle when he first arrives, and he did, mixed with some good performances as well.

And no disrespect to Enlow, who I hope skyrockets up the system, but I think I'd have Thorpe and Gonsalves ahead of him at this point due to rankings and success thus far, as well as proximity.

IMO
  • Steve Lein, Twins33, 70charger and 8 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,160 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:45 PM

No Gordon? 

I personally think two things:

1.) BA is always mostly about upside.

2.) People should not give up on Nick Gordon. Yes, he struggled as a 22-year-old in his first AAA experience, but he's immensely talented, 

so I'll add a third... 

3.) This really shows the depth in the organization right now. 

• Carole Keller, jorgenswest, glunn and 18 others like this

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,160 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:48 PM

I confess to knowing little about Duran and need to do some research. Still, very surprised to not see Thorpe on the top 10. Also surprised no Gonsalves. I expected him to struggle when he first arrives, and he did, mixed with some good performances as well.

And no disrespect to Enlow, who I hope skyrockets up the system, but I think I'd have Thorpe and Gonsalves ahead of him at this point due to rankings and success thus far, as well as proximity.

IMO

I had Thorpe and Gonsalves ahead of Enlow in my recent Top 30 ranking... But Enlow has the upside... I think I had him 12 or 13. And, I had Duran at 10, but doing more research for the Twins Prospect Handbook, I think I''ll end up with him being even higher. I really like his talent and size and everything. 

• jorgenswest, glunn and MN_ExPat like this

#12 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:53 PM

No Gordon?

Really makes you wonder doesn't it? Each of the past 2 years has looked good before losing it on his promotion to the next level. Was everyone wrong about his skill set? Does he wear down and need more strength? Does he just take longer to adjust to the new level than we'd like?

2019 is an important year for him, to be sure.
  • glunn and DannySD like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,643 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:29 PM

No Gordon? 

He was low on BA's list last year. Wait until all the lists come out to see how he's ranked. Sickels gave him a straight B, for example.

• glunn and Minny505 like this

#14 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:50 PM

Seven of the ten are new to the organization in the past two years. There are plenty of prospects still around that the prior regime acquired but it's starting to look like those guys are getting squeezed down a bit.

• markos, Ben Noble, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,164 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:05 PM

And Fangraphs still likes Gordon, and I believe MLB will also. Mike doesn't........not me, the one that did this list. I have no real idea......

• birdwatcher and Dman like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,160 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:15 PM

Really makes you wonder doesn't it? Each of the past 2 years has looked good before losing it on his promotion to the next level. Was everyone wrong about his skill set? Does he wear down and need more strength? Does he just take longer to adjust to the new level than we'd like?

2019 is an important year for him, to be sure.

To try to answer your questions with my thoughts:

1.) wrong about skill set? I don't think anyone has been wrong about his skill set. Shortstop defense Solid hit tool who will have more power than Dee. Needs to keep getting stronger. I think that's been the report all along.

2. ) Wear down? This is certainly possible as there has been a second half swoon the last two years and also in the previous years.

3.) AAA is the first time he's struggled to adjust to a new level. He hit right away in E-Town in 2014. He hit right away in Cedar Rapids in 2015. He hit right away in Ft. Myers in 2016. He hit right away in Chattanooga in 2017 and 2018. AAA isn't easy, and it was his first midseason promotion. So, combine him being one of the youngest players in AAA with his normal 2nd half struggles and we shouldn't be surprised he struggled in his transition to the highest level of minor league baseball. 

• Carole Keller, glunn, birdwatcher and 9 others like this

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,160 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:17 PM

He was low on BA's list last year. Wait until all the lists come out to see how he's ranked. Sickels gave him a straight B, for example.

I think Mike ranked him #8 last year. Scouts say that he can be a solid MLB player. He doesn't have any plus-plus tools, but he also doesn't' have any real weaknesses in his game either (for a prospect, obviously each level is a new adjustment). Agreed. I think he'll be in the bottom half of the Top 10 in most. 

• gagu, Minny505 and MN_ExPat like this

#18 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,988 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:20 PM

Severino surprises me.I'd have Urbina, Arraez, Alcala at least ahead of him.

• d-mac and Minny505 like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#19 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:42 PM

This list confirms that the organization is deep with top talent...deep, deep, deep.

Agree 100% with not having Gordon in the Top 10.But huge miss on not including Thorpe.The Twins confirmed their belief in him when he was added to the 40-man last year.Then he puts up a fantastic season a year after missing two years of development, while still very young.The kid got to AAA and did well, after his first start if memory serves.His ceiling is a lot higher than many believe.Can't wait for him to prove all of them wrong!

• glunn, dgwills, DocBauer and 4 others like this

#20 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:09 PM

To try to answer your questions with my thoughts:

1.) wrong about skill set? I don't think anyone has been wrong about his skill set. Shortstop defense Solid hit tool who will have more power than Dee. Needs to keep getting stronger. I think that's been the report all along.

It has been time for him to get stronger and have more endurance. I wonder what his off seasonroutine consists of, both nutrition and strength training. I realize his dad andbrother are not large men. Maybe Nick needs to follow Sano's off season routine to add weight. 

• Blackjack, puckstopper1 and Minny505 like this