Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Former Teammates Take To Social Media To Honor/Thank Joe Mauer

joe mauer denard span drew butera trevor may phil hughes
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:48 PM

When news came out that Joe Mauer was retiring and there would be a Monday morning press conference (11:00 central time), many took to social media to pay tribute to Joe Mauer's career. Fans weren't the only to do so, but several current and former teammates shared their well wishes for Mauer. Many simply retweeted the Twins tribute to Mauer.

Below you will find many of these tributes. If you have seen others, please share in the comments below.Former Twins

Phil Hughes:

Frank Viola:

Michael Cuddyer on MLB Network:

AJ Achter

Glen Perkins:

Danny Valencia:

JC Romero:

Todd Van Steensel:

Luke Hughes:

Denard Span:

Drew Butera:

Ervin Santana:

Eduardo Nunez:

Johan Santana:

Brian Dozier:
Posted Image

Ben Revere:
Posted Image

Current Twins

Kyle Gibson:

Trevor May:

Matt Magill:

Tyler Duffey:

Dietrich Enns:

John Curtiss:

Jake Cave:

Tyler Austin:

Chase De Jong:

Trevor Hildenberger

Mitch Garver:

Stephen Gonsalves:

Zack Littell:

Taylor Rogers
Posted Image

Byron Buxton
Posted Image

Jorge Polanco:
Posted Image

Jose Berrios:
Posted Image

Future Twins

Tyler Wells:

Others

Ryan Dempster:

Sam Carlson:

Dick Bremer:

Cory Provus:

Adam Weber:

Michael Young:

Morgan Hawk:

Rocco Baldelli:

Jamie Hersch:
https://twitter.com/...364850373337089

Dustin Morse:
https://twitter.com/...046939658137607

This list will continue to be updated as other online tributes are discovered. If you are aware of one, please include them in the comments below.

Click here to view the article
  • ashburyjohn, nicksaviking, Riverbrian and 7 others like this

#2 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:08 AM

Thanks.I will never get tired of seeing the high school picture of Glen and Joe.

• Twins33, nicksaviking and Craig Arko like this

#3 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:29 AM

DrmQrQtX4AA2yDH.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

You'd think his swing would be a good candidate, but I wouldn't mind if this pose became the inevitable statue at Target Field.

Anyone else?

Edited by 70charger, 12 November 2018 - 07:30 AM.

• ashburyjohn, Steve Lein, scottz and 10 others like this

#4 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:41 AM

DrmQrQtX4AA2yDH.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

You'd think his swing would be a good candidate, but I wouldn't mind if this pose became the inevitable statue at Target Field.

Anyone else?

My avatar?

WNpUGU6.jpg

All seriousness, there are a lot of statues around Target Field of the all-time greats swinging. Why not one of his batting stance that didn't change one bit from 2004-2018? Or in his catcher's position, for the kids to pose next to without being dwarfed?

• scottz likes this

#5 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,561 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:46 PM

Perhaps this seems like a small thing, but I truly appreciate his ability to control his temper, never berating his teammates or opponents, and not once responding to a bad call or error or strikeout with less-than-holy language. That says so much about character. He's one of the good guys.

• Craig Arko likes this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

Perhaps this seems like a small thing, but I truly appreciate his ability to control his temper, never berating his teammates or opponents, and not once responding to a bad call or error or strikeout with less-than-holy language. That says so much about character. He's one of the good guys.

A lot of fans wanted him to be something different than he was. If he would have tried, it wouldn't have been him. And he was incredibly competitive, but the ability to keep one's cool in tough situations kept him in games, and kept him calm during those clutch situations when he was so good. 

• Twins33, Craig Arko and Halsey Hall like this

#7 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,541 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:23 PM

When Joe first came to Ft Myers I was talking to him and told him "Don't ever change". He gave me a funny look, like he didn't understand, but he never did change.
  • Craig Arko, Oldgoat_MN and PseudoSABR like this

he gone!

#8 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:51 PM

When Joe first came to Ft Myers I was talking to him and told him "Don't ever change". He gave me a funny look, like he didn't understand, but he never did change.

Was listening to 1500 this afternoon - they had a bunch of Mauer discussion (funny how his retirement came the same week as the Jimmy Butler trade -- could not have a bigger difference in exits or personality of the players).One of the interviews was with Glen Perkins and that is what amazed him - he said he did not change at all. He said people ask him what is he really like - and said exactly what you see. 

One of the interviewees - I think Roy Smalley - was asked if Joe should have been more vocal - maybe yelled more, and he said no, because it would not have been true to who he was.It never works when someone is faking something like that.

• James, Oldgoat_MN, 70charger and 1 other like this

#9 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:10 AM

Joe Who?

Edited by David HK, 13 November 2018 - 03:10 AM.

#10 JLease

JLease

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:56 AM

On a scale of 1-10, what do you think Joe Mauer's embarrassment level would have been if they'd done a farewell tour, like Mariano Rivera? 

10? 14? 22?

I'm also not betting against the idea that he's writing thank you notes to everybody he played with/against who paid tribute to him on social media. :D

• 70charger likes this

#11 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:37 PM

https://www.mlb.com/...uer/c-300524458

I'm sure most of y'all have seen this article on MLB, but just in case you haven't... it's a good read as to why Joe belongs in the HOF.

God speed and God Bless Joe. I for one will miss seeing you on the diamond.

• 70charger and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#12 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:55 AM

Although Joe was a unique talent, I do think the Twins will play better as a team now that his retirement is official. The last few years it seems like it was Joe Mauer and the rest of the team.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joe mauer, denard span, drew butera, trevor may, phil hughes