Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Mauer's Farewell Letter To Fans

joe mauer
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:53 AM

First off Doc, thank you for the sight you give.

I have mentioned before that my Dad was a Minor League catcher. If he would have had my stick or I would have had his glove,,,,,,,,,unknown.

Hundreds and beyond hours of picking his brain, trying to learn the game from his side. Tiny things that make or break a player. That is why after 15 years of getting a check of some sort he spent the next 15 coaching youth baseball. His retirement from that was based only on not wanting to seem biased one way or the other on me.(or he was afraid of what home life would be if he did the right thing and I was the backup!)

Somewhere in the 80's (I was done) he told me I had come over to watch a game. I went and watched with him. No idea, but Carlton Fisk was catching for the White Sox. About the 7th inning he looked at me and said "now you know why he is the best catcher ever" Dad was a huge fan of the big red machine in the 70's. ???? What about Bench I asked. His reply was Bench had a stick and the arm with a flair but give me Fisk every day.

Joe Mauer is the only guy I have ever seen who Dad might have liked better. From all those hours of gleaning info and all the other things I have learned to look for IMHO Joe was the best catcher I have ever seen. I was born in 69 so I have seen a few good ones and a few HOF's

Side note, I asked Dad who was the best he ever played against. Took him about 1/10th of a second to say Frank Howard. I asked him who was the best player ever and it took him about the same amount of time to say Stan Musial.

Good luck Joe, you did us proud!!!

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#22 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,687 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:56 AM

Could Joe Mauer and Tony Oliva be more similar? Some dumbfounding similarities in their career numbers:

•15 year careers with the Twins and only the Twins.

•3 batting titles each.

•Surefire HOF careers derailed by devastating injuries.

.306 career BA for Mauer, .304 for Oliva.

•923 career RBI for Mauer, 947 for Oliva.

•.830 career OPS for Oliva, .827 for Mauer.

•Oliva wins on HR, 220-143, and All Stars, 8-6.

•Mauer wins on hits, 2123 to 1917, and WAR, 55 to 43

•I mean, really, one wore 6, the other 7.

Entirely different stories, but two of the best to wear the uni, regardless of what Cooperstown may think: and top-class acts to boot. Hope Joe will still be getting in on the act the way Tony does at 80, 40 years from now.

Great post.

• USAFChief, Monkeypaws and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#23 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,687 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:57 AM

Followed TwinsDaily for years..glad to join the community!

Thought occurred to me today after reflecting on Joe Maurer's retirement announcement.

Minnesota Twins have a vacancy at the First Base coaching position.

How cool would it be if they were to hire Joe to fill that spot in 2019?

Not rocket science...Joe knows how it works...would command incredible respect from both the Twins young studs and MLB opponents? Bonus: get to see Mr. # 7 for many more years in uniform!

Do it FalVine!

Thanks..

Lasorda_This_Out

Welcome to TD.

• USAFChief, Dozier's Glorious Hair and Lasorda_This_Out like this

#24 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:52 AM

Great post.

Both Mauer and Oliva should be in the Hall of Fame - although I agree both are not first ballot types.If they had played for the Yankees, there wouldn't even be a question. Compare Joe's accomplishments to Gary Carter who is in the Hall of Fame and Thurmon Munson who is not but many claim should be there. Catcher is an undervalued position in the Hall of Fame. Yes I know Munson was a Yankee./

• Carole Keller, glunn, diehardtwinsfan and 4 others like this

#25 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:52 AM

So long Joe.

Bring up Munson!

Munson> Mauer> sweet wine>Twitter
Do or do not. There is no try.

#26 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:41 AM

Could Joe Mauer and Tony Oliva be more similar? Some dumbfounding similarities in their career numbers:

•15 year careers with the Twins and only the Twins.

•3 batting titles each.

•Surefire HOF careers derailed by devastating injuries.

.306 career BA for Mauer, .304 for Oliva.

•923 career RBI for Mauer, 947 for Oliva.

•.830 career OPS for Oliva, .827 for Mauer.

•Oliva wins on HR, 220-143, and All Stars, 8-6.

•Mauer wins on hits, 2123 to 1917, and WAR, 55 to 43

•I mean, really, one wore 6, the other 7.

Entirely different stories, but two of the best to wear the uni, regardless of what Cooperstown may think: and top-class acts to boot. Hope Joe will still be getting in on the act the way Tony does at 80, 40 years from now.

Excellent post, and Oliva - in my homerish opinion - should be in the hall. At least Joe's got that decade at catcher to balance out the horrible deficiency in voters' minds of not being a Yankee.

• jorgenswest likes this

#27 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:41 AM

Followed TwinsDaily for years..glad to join the community!

Thought occurred to me today after reflecting on Joe Maurer's retirement announcement.

Minnesota Twins have a vacancy at the First Base coaching position.

How cool would it be if they were to hire Joe to fill that spot in 2019?

Not rocket science...Joe knows how it works...would command incredible respect from both the Twins young studs and MLB opponents? Bonus: get to see Mr. # 7 for many more years in uniform!

Do it FalVine!

Thanks..

Lasorda_This_Out

Great handle. Welcome to the site.

• snepp likes this

#28 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:30 AM

Very much in Joe Mauer's character to wait until the end of the 2018 season to formally announce his retirement. No official final game other than the donning of the "tools of ignorance" for the last time which was the biggest hint ever. It was obvious through his entire career that Joe Mauer is not a "limelight" person and would not have enjoyed playing for a team such as the Yankees. I do hope he is able to remain in the game in some capacity and I think he would be great working with younger players.

• snepp likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joe mauer