Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Mauer Retirement Announcement Coming?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

I normally wouldn't share a rumor from Reddit as anything substantive, but the user NotPercyChuggs who posted this tip apparently divulged his/her source to the mods and convinced them of its legitimacy:

"Joe Mauer to announce retirement; press conference Monday"

I've never had much doubt that Mauer was going to hang 'em up, and with respect to the Twins' planning needs I presumed an announcement would be coming any day, so this aligns with my expectations, which is another reason I'm willing to lend it credibility. Stay tuned and we'll post any other news on the subject. Otherwise, we'll see what happens on Monday.

#2 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• 2,316 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:13 PM

Objectively, I think this is the right decision for him and the team, but it does make me a little sad.

• Jerr and Oldgoat_MN like this

#3 bdodge22

bdodge22

• 22 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

Say it ain't so Joe! I still think he has value to the team and was hoping he would keep playing.

#4 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

All in all, a good season.

• 1,944 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:44 PM

I suspect Joe would love to keep playing. However, with the concussion issues he has had it may occur to him as selfish. There is a serious risk to his health, and the losers are his wife and children.

I believe he will retire. Man is was great to see him play, though.

• Wyorev likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#5 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:00 PM

Update: Star Tribune making it official. http://www.startribu...ball/500170911/

Sounds like he'll have a full-page ad in the Sunday edition.

• Craig Arko likes this

#6 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• 2,316 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:22 PM

Yes -- his statement in the trib pretty much confirms the 2018 concussion is what pushed him to make the move.

Besides ending with a World Series win, it is hard to think of anyway to top his last game of 2018. It was nice to see him seem to really enjoy himself and take everything in the last couple of weeks and esp. that last game.

• SQUIRREL, Jerr and Craig Arko like this

#7 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,212 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:43 PM

St. Paul Born and raised. 

Only wore the the Twins uniform in the Major Leagues. 

3 Batting Titles as a Catcher which has never happened.

The only question left to answer is what day in 2019 do they choose to retire the #7 and place the number below the Budweiser deck. 

and later on... where on the plaza will his statue be placed. 

He was one of us... more than perhaps any other ball players was one of us. 

A toast to your health, to your family, to you Joe Mauer. 

• Jerr, Twins33, Bark's Lounge and 2 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,563 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:59 PM

It felt pretty good, Joe

:)
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#9 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• 4,506 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:28 PM

Today is a sad day, but it is the right decision. No game is worth jeopardizing your future health even though some damage has been done and the future could have some unfortunate ramifications... I certainly hope not.

Watching Joe play HOF ball from 2016-2013 was a more than a fantastic baseball experience - it was something I looked forward to everyday of April-September (Sometimes October) during this time period. I hope someday down the road Joe will get his HOF call, but that might be a steep hill to climb. It doesn't really matter though as I know how great he was and so do you folks.

Until recently I have lived my whole life in St. Paul proper, and it made me very proud that such a super talented baseball player came out of the city I love, plus being a somewhat contemporary age wise was kind of cool. I was not alive when Molitor, Winfield and Morris graced the St. Paul ball fields as high schoolers.

Anyways, Thanks Joe for the great memories and the awesome display of baseball talents! Good luck in retirement and have a great life with your family and other endeavors you might pursue.

• Craig Arko, Oldgoat_MN, TheLeviathan and 1 other like this

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.