Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Believe in Byron Buxton

byron buxton
  • Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:47 AM

Keep the faith! To give up on Buxton now is foolish. The Twins should be all in on Buxton. Nice comparisons to Hicks. Let's also not forget the Twins traded Hicks for John Ryan Murphy.

Give him all the chances he needs.Worst case is he's a nice 4th outfielder.Continue to improve the quality of your depth, like we did with Cave.  

#22 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:03 AM

So, a player suffering from migraines and then fouling a ball off his toe is sending a message? Really??

Yes, as in maybe this gig just isn't meant to be.

#23 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:09 AM

By the way, I'll ask the same question of Buxton that I asked about Sano. What is he doing at this very moment? The answer to that says a lot about how he will do in 2019.

• Tomj14 likes this

#24 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:11 AM

I'm with you on it being questionable to call Hicks a superstar.

He went to the Yanks in 2016 and was terrible, in 2017 he played all of 88 games, last year he managed to play 137 and was really, really good. But I am not ready to call him a super star.

And lets be honest most wanted him gone in 2015 and if he would have played the same for the Twins 2016 as he did the Yanks, we would have been screaming for him to be gone.

• gagu and Original Whizzinator like this

#25 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

I remain convinced that the single, biggest difference between the Twins being legitimate contenders and rebuilding is Byron Buxton, because of the difference he makes on defense. And when his bat is going well he scares the hell out of teams because of his speed. 

So I'd be OK with an extension. Not my money. 

• MileHighTwinsFan, Twins33, mickeymental and 2 others like this

#26 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:24 AM

Yes, as in maybe this gig just isn't meant to be.

I guess Herb Score was sending a message to the Cleveland Indians when hit was hit in the face by a line drive? Rookie of the Year in 1955 and only wins 17 games in the rest of his career after being hit in 1956.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco, kenbuddha, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#27 Kendel

Kendel

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:39 AM

In a perfect world, it would be great, to agree on a long term deal. He is going to be a star for years. And I think it will happen soon. But, would it be the right decision for Byron? The Twins don’t play in a perfect world. They play in Minnesota. He seems to be a nice, hard working, quiet young gentlemen. If he gets a large contract, some fans will boo every strikeout. Some media members will question his manhood, with every injury. Every shortcoming on the team will be blamed on his salary. We can call it “being Mauered”. The FO needs to mend bridges. Buxton Needs to beware.
  • kenbuddha and Don Walcott like this

#28 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

I've been teaching junior high for 25 years.I'm nothing if not patient.By all accounts, Buxton is a tireless worker.Be patient folks.Baseball is a hard game.Some just make it look easy, that's why they are superstars.

• Hosken Bombo Disco, IndianaTwin, mickeymental and 7 others like this

#29 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:00 AM

my uncle had european sports car. we enjoyed the heck outa the ride when it wasn't in the shop.

FIAT: Fix It Again, Tony
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

#30 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:00 AM

In a perfect world, it would be great, to agree on a long term deal. He is going to be a star for years. And I think it will happen soon. But, would it be the right decision for Byron? The Twins don’t play in a perfect world. They play in Minnesota. He seems to be a nice, hard working, quiet young gentlemen. If he gets a large contract, some fans will boo every strikeout. Some media members will question his manhood, with every injury. Every shortcoming on the team will be blamed on his salary. We can call it “being Mauered”. The FO needs to mend bridges. Buxton Needs to beware.

Wait... What? Minnesota isn't perfect? The sun's almost shining, the temp is just a few degrees north of zero and the wind is howling out of the northwest. And it's only November. No way Minnesotans are fair weather fans... we wouldn't know what to do with any stinkin' fair weather.

• Danchat, Don Walcott and Original Whizzinator like this

#31 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:02 AM

I believe Buxton's eyesight is damaged by repeated concussions. It's what I chalk up his poor pitch recognition to. So I am less willing to toss aside a bad season as an outlier - it may be how he is, going forward.

OTOH concussion damage often spontaneously heals itself after many months. It's so unpredictable. If my medically unqualified opinion holds water, he's worth keeping, even two more years, as a bounceback candidate.

But I'm not willing to give him a multi-year extension at this time - a short year from now such a contract may look like Ricky Nolasco's or Phil Hughes's.

I think the concussion/eyesight/pitch recognition was part of Mauer's issue at times as well.I think he was able to mostly just react with his hands and therefore wouldn't keep his legs underneath him to drive the ball and would end up rolling everything to 2nd base. It seems as if Buxton has been at bat just trying to react as well and not anticipating anything.

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:13 AM

Well, I think you didn't read that right, Nick.

One can hope on Buxton, and also not want to sign him to a long term deal......those are two very different things.

Also, no way he signs an extension, super stars (or those that think they will be) who have received large bonus checks are no longer signing these types of deals. In almost every case, they've helped the team more than the player. Buxton will be a FA IN HIS PRIME YEARS. Why is he signing that away? 

For those saying "patience"....you do realize the Twins control his rights for only a few more years, right? If he's ok this year (which would be huge progress alas), then great...how many great years are they really getting for this patience? If you believe in Buxton and/or Sano, you should want them to be going for it this year or next year, because one or both of them will be gone in three or so years....

• Teflon, Twins33 and Tomj14 like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#33 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:15 AM

Thank you for your post.I think a super-majority of people on this site would love to read a headline something like "Twins ink MVP Buxton to 10 year $400 million deal" in, say, 2021.

I know I don't have the right to speak on behalf of "everyone", but, nonetheless, I am guessing that "everyone" wants Buxton to succeed.The truth is, absent 2 months in 2017, he hasn't.As I've posted numerous times, an extension now makes zero sense from either side. 

If he hits .190 this coming year in 35 games, both sides know what they have-- an injury-prone head case who can't hit a breaking ball.

If, however, he wins both golden and platinum) glove and silver slugger, I concur the Twins should back the Brinks truck up to his home.

There is just so much uncertainty, I don't understand why either side would want to settle now.

• Mike Sixel and snap4birds like this

#34 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,145 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:28 AM

Well, if I'm the player, and I'm "uncertain" about my future, I think long and hard about accepting a long term deal that gives me financial security for the rest of my life. $40M guaranteed is a lot of money to turn down, particularly when I've struggled with injury and production, and there is a strong chance I don't earn that if I turn this opportunity down.

And if I'm the Twins, gambling $40M over the next 6 years or so is a risk, but one I'm probably willing to take, since if it doesn't work out, it's not a killer contract, and if he succeeds, I'm not going to get him for anything near that.

• birdwatcher, Blake, Twins33 and 7 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#35 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:30 AM

Also, no way he signs an extension, super stars (or those that think they will be) who have received large bonus checks are no longer signing these types of deals. In almost every case, they've helped the team more than the player. Buxton will be a FA IN HIS PRIME YEARS. Why is he signing that away? 

Because he's getting ~$50 million in guaranteed money, which is like 7x his lifetime earnings up to this point and will take care of his family no matter what happens. And he can still reach FA in his prime. If he develops as he (and we) hope, he should have no trouble procuring another big contract at age 30/31 or so. Frankly, so long as the Twins come correct with the terms, I think it's pretty much a no-brainer for him. 

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Blake and 5 others like this

#36 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:35 AM

I hope they (Twins) have a plan B in the works.This team can't afford to hedge all it's hopes on two guys (Sano and Buxton) who have been wildly inconsistent.

• caninatl04 and Original Whizzinator like this

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:42 AM

Because he's getting ~$50 million in guaranteed money, which is like 7x his lifetime earnings up to this point and will take care of his family no matter what happens. And he can still reach FA in his prime. If he develops as he (and we) hope, he should have no trouble procuring another big contract at age 30/31 or so. Frankly, so long as the Twins come correct with the terms, I think it's pretty much a no-brainer for him. 

You're ignoring that players are no longer doing this.......they just aren't. You can project how you'd feel all you want, but just look at the last three or four years. 

30/31 and older is now prime? On a site where people say all the time NOT to sign guys into their mid-30s, now it is a good idea? I'm confused by that sentence. In a league that is getting younger and younger? I don't see that.

• TheLeviathan and snap4birds like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#38 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:46 AM

I hope they (Twins) have a plan B in the works.This team can't afford to hedge all it's hopes on two guys (Sano and Buxton) who have been wildly inconsistent.

I think, which means I am probably wrong, Plan B is the list of great prospects with arrival dates 2020-2023.

• Tomj14 likes this

#39 Loops

Loops

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:13 AM

I think Buxton might be able to "figure it out".It is depressing when you look at all the players we gave up on too early and see how they are doing today with other teams.Hindsight is great!The major concern to me right now is his health.Will he be able to play a full season?This might also be just a fluke and he will never be hurt again.There is great reason financially to extend him now with all of his question marks.If you wait until you know for sure we can't afford him!That is baseball.A lot of gambling!!

#40 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,621 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:18 AM

I don't think anyone has given up on Buxton just yet (and fortunately, I don't think the Twins can afford to give up on him)... I'm not, however, certain that handing him a multi-year deal is wise (unless it's incredibly team friendly). 

I'm also not convinced he should be starting 2019 in the majors, and I don't think handing him a job in 2019 is wise either. 

Likewise, I think it would be very wise to have a contingency plan in place here. I'm far more worried about Buxton's future than Sano's right now. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton