Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Sconnie’s Blueprint

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,858 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:13 PM

Free agent
Jose Iglesias SS 3 years 21 mil
Josh Donaldson 3B 1 year 20 mil
Kelvin Herrera RP 1 year 8 mil
Jeuris Familia RP 3 year 33 mil
Andrew McCutchen RF 2 year 16 mil

Trade Byron Buxton to Giants for a package including Tyler Beede, Andrew Suarez. The relationship is so hosed, they have to trade Buxton.

C Garver
1B Sano
2B Polanco
3B Donaldson
SS Iglesias
RF Cutch
CF Kepler
LF Rosario
DH Austin

Bench
Castro/Astudillo
Adrianza
Cave

Rotation

Berrios
Gibson
Suarez
Odorizzi stacked with Mejia
Pineda stacked with Gonsalves

Bullpen

Familia
Herrera
May
Rodgers
Reed
Moya

Edited by Sconnie, 07 November 2018 - 09:22 PM.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

#2 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,416 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:25 PM

What kind of upside do you see with Suarez?Just from a glance at his stats, he doesn't appear to be much more than a middling starter.

• Sconnie likes this

#3 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,858 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:31 PM

What kind of upside do you see with Suarez? Just from a glance at his stats, he doesn't appear to be much more than a middling starter.

I’m proposing this trade to get Beede who’s K rate and BB rate look really good.
All I know of Suarez is stats. He’s more major league ready than Romero, so should slot into the rotation right away, where Romero is still depth and would look to use him first with injury. I’m slotting Romero for ‘20 opening day rotation.

Suarez is a decent mid to back rotation starter plus number 1 or 2 prospect in the system (plus some throw in guys that i couldn’t begin to identify) seemed like a decent return and Giants have a need for CF, so my hypothetical works in my mind.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,267 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:21 AM

Gutsy trade......which I can't decide how I feel about. Especially if they move Lewis to CF ..... which I would consider in this scenario. 

• Sconnie likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#5 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,029 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:36 PM

1a191a1b-3f6c-4e03-8bbb-41547b58bae0_1.8

yum, stackers.

• Carole Keller, Mike Sixel and Sconnie like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#6 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:30 PM

So does the FO tell Odorizzi, Mejia, Pineda they are going to be stacked or do they ask if they are OK with it, and if they are not trade or cut them?

Unless they talked about this with Pineda when they signed him, it seems like they may want run it by him, because it could hurt signing future free agents?

Mejia is out of options, so if he doesn't like it do they want him unhappy on the roster?

Ordorizzi is in a walk year (I believe) again do you want an unhappy guy on the roster?

• Sconnie likes this

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,267 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:39 PM

So does the FO tell Odorizzi, Mejia, Pineda they are going to be stacked or do they ask if they are OK with it, and if they are not trade or cut them?

Unless they talked about this with Pineda when they signed him, it seems like they may want run it by him, because it could hurt signing future free agents?

Mejia is out of options, so if he doesn't like it do they want him unhappy on the roster?

Ordorizzi is in a walk year (I believe) again do you want an unhappy guy on the roster?

I don't know....if I'm Mejia, I'm thrilled to be healthy and in plans.....I don't know why you are so certain everyone is unhappy with this plan......they might be, but they might not. 

Is it better to put Odo in position to fail, or to do this?

• Twins33 and Sconnie like this

#8 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,412 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

I don't know....if I'm Mejia, I'm thrilled to be healthy and in plans.....I don't know why you are so certain everyone is unhappy with this plan......they might be, but they might not.

Is it better to put Odo in position to fail, or to do this?

I read his comment as a question not a statement that players are unhappy. He’s asking ... will the players be okay with this? Do you ask them or do you tell them? And if they are unhappy do you trade, cut or keep them? And I have the same questions. If you’ve been trained your whole life to be one thing, what kind of a transition is this really for them? Will it make them better ,,, or worse?
  • Sconnie and Tomj14 like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,267 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:06 PM

I read his comment as a question not a statement that players are unhappy. He’s asking ... will the players be okay with this? Do you ask them or do you tell them? And if they are unhappy do you trade, cut or keep them? And I have the same questions. If you’ve been trained your whole life to be one thing, what kind of a transition is this really for them? Will it make them better ,,, or worse?

fair......

If I'm leading any organization, I always ask how people feel about me moving them....but I still might move them if I think that is best for them and the company, even if they don't want to move roles.....

Players go thru arbitration, with little choice. They can be traded, with no choice. They can be sent to the minors, even to low minors, until a certain time.

If I'm a player, and I'm getting paid, and I'm mediocre, I want to be put into a position to succeed.....it's not like another team can't sign Odo and move him back to starter if that's what they and he want....

• Twins33 and Sconnie like this

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,789 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:28 PM

I really think if the manager is a good communicator, and his coaches are likewise, then the solution is to communicate. Most players aren't insubordinate.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33 and Sconnie like this

I always go the extra mile. That's what happens when you get lost easily.

#11 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:42 PM

I scoured the MLB/MILB website for a relief pitcher Rodgers and then realized...only a TD poster from Sconnie would spell it that way :)

Here's the chart

Sconnie Team Blue Print

• Mike Sixel, TheLeviathan, Sconnie and 2 others like this

Is it 2020 yet?

#12 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,858 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:44 PM

you absolutely want buy in. Preparation is key to change, which doesn’t come in earnest without buy in.

I’m with Mike though, it’s happening... get on the train with the org, or get left at the station.
  • Mike Sixel and Tomj14 like this

#13 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,858 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:45 PM

I scoured the MLB/MILB website for a relief pitcher Rodgers and then realized...only a TD poster from Sconnie would spell it that way :)

Here's the chart

if he was cool like the qb he’d definitely be a starter

And thanks a bunch for running sheet!

Edited by Sconnie, 08 November 2018 - 06:46 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#14 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:11 AM

Thanks, it was a question, I don't have the answer for it.

The "my way or the high way" really only seems to work for a few franchises across all sports, and those are the ones with a winning tradition, look how many ex-Patriot coaches have tried it and failed.

The opener strategy seems to be a little easier sell to veterans, because if they leave though a trade or free agency it shouldn't be that difficult to go back to starting, but the stacking seems a much harder to sell, because getting stretched out isn't the easiest thing.

IMO this works for young guys, to get their feet wet and figure out their place in the majors. But at the same time the only real difference I see than how it works now, is the manager hoping to get as many innings as possible out of the starter than a set amount.

• Mike Sixel and Sconnie like this

#15 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:17 AM

Should the Twins start next year with (Jhoan Duran,Blayne Enlow,Griffin Jax,Edwar Colina,Jordan Balazovic) as stackers?

• Sconnie likes this

#16 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:20 AM

I don't think you can 'pencil' Gonsalves into any slot.I have a real bad feeling about how he is going to perform.But stacking Odorizzi and Mejia may make a lot of sense.Both have a recent history of not getting to deep into games.Scheduling each for 4-4+ innings seems to be about where they get into trouble.

• Mike Sixel and Sconnie like this

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,267 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:56 AM

Here's a question.....can stackers go more often? Can you get by with 5 stackers covering 3 games, instead of six of them? So, they go more like every 4 days than every 5 days? I don't know....but maybe.

• Monkeypaws and Sconnie like this

#18 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,858 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:12 PM

I don't think you can 'pencil' Gonsalves into any slot. I have a real bad feeling about how he is going to perform. But stacking Odorizzi and Mejia may make a lot of sense. Both have a recent history of not getting to deep into games. Scheduling each for 4-4+ innings seems to be about where they get into trouble.

agreed, but there are 3 other guys on that same plane that could replace Gonsalves, maybe it’s Littell... Maybe Pineda is still injured and the 5th battery is Littell and Slegers

Edited by Sconnie, 10 November 2018 - 06:20 PM.