Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Can the Twins trade for Jon Gray?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,296 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

Home 4.91 ERA, 3.90 FIP, 3.16 xFIP
Away 5.34 ERA, 4.28 FIP, 3.80 xFIP.

Seriously penalized by Colorado's Defense.On the other hand FB velo - 1mph, slider velo close to - 2 mph from 2017.

2 years of control. He'd probably slot behind Gibson and Berrios and ahead of Odorizzi.Good number 3/4 in a contender. Really, the Twins should look higher.They need a pitcher who will slot ahead of Berrios in order to compete with the other AL contenders rotations.

If Colorado takes Odorizzi plus prospects off the Twins' hands, it will fine.On the other hand, I'd rather go for someone like Zach Wheeler and Patrick Corbin for 1-2, slot Berrios and Gibson for 3 and 4 and call it an off season, as far as the rotation goes ;)

The twins aren't outbidding all the rest of baseball for Corbin. 

• gunnarthor, TheLeviathan and Major Leauge Ready like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,813 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:00 PM

They are losing two corner OFers and only have one replacement (Dahl). They need to upgrade a corner spot. And Blackmon was a disaster in center for them so Kepler could take over there if needed. They need better OF defense.

Gray was a bad pitcher last year. He's 27. They might have already seen everything they'll get from him. Pitchers that can put up 5.12 eras in Coors Field aren't that hard to find. Gray obviously has some buy low value in him but he also just might be a bad pitcher. By bWAR, Kepler and Gray have been identical in value for three years. Gray has more upside potential, Kepler has been more consistent and has some upside potential as well. 

GM's surprise me all the time but I just can't see the Rockies moving pitching unless they get more of a sure thing back. I think Gray is a good bet for straightening himself out. I wouldn't be selling low on him and if I was the Twins and they asked for Kepler in return... I probably wouldn't take the deal because I would be suspicious that they are giving up on him.:)

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#23 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:25 AM

Home 4.91 ERA, 3.90 FIP, 3.16 xFIP
Away 5.34 ERA, 4.28 FIP, 3.80 xFIP.

Seriously penalized by Colorado's Defense.On the other hand FB velo - 1mph, slider velo close to - 2 mph from 2017.

2 years of control. He'd probably slot behind Gibson and Berrios and ahead of Odorizzi.Good number 3/4 in a contender. Really, the Twins should look higher.They need a pitcher who will slot ahead of Berrios in order to compete with the other AL contenders rotations.

If Colorado takes Odorizzi plus prospects off the Twins' hands, it will fine.On the other hand, I'd rather go for someone like Zach Wheeler and Patrick Corbin for 1-2, slot Berrios and Gibson for 3 and 4 and call it an off season, as far as the rotation goes ;)

Gray has 3 years of control according to Baseball reference, not 2. You are projecting him at his current level of performance which is sensible. However, this is the kind of guy you trade for because you believe he has upside. There is little point of this team pursuing him the FO does not believe he has significant upside. I presume that's what the Brewers were thinking with Yehlich.

Wheeler has 1 year of control and this team has no business trading assets for ANY player that will only be here through next year.

Edited by Major Leauge Ready, 07 November 2018 - 07:27 AM.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,705 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:37 AM

He has great stuff and proven to strike out a lot of people. I didn't watch any of his starts to know why there was a decline in 2018. Maybe it's pitch selection, maybe it's confidence.

Regardless, I would 2-3 prospects for him. Remember this time last year Gerrit Cole was coming off a down 2017 and Houston tweaked him to become an ace.

Let's give Falvine great talent to work with and see what they can do to make him better.
  • Mike Sixel likes this