Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Lev's Blueprint

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,450 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:45 PM

There are risks with every player.Much like flexibility is RB's mantra, mine is "Invest in Upside"

Daniel Murphy is the milquetoast of 1B options and Morton is the same for SP.I doubt Milwaukee was thrilled to give 1B to Jesus Aguilar....but how'd that turn out?Hell, the Twins weren't bending over backwards to give Escobar or Dozier chances and look how that turned out.  

When you have an opening, I'd much rather invest that opportunity into a player that might make a big impact rather than a serviceable place-holder.My blueprint is filled with upside - Sano, Buxton, Gallo, Dozier, Austidillo, Sonny Gray, Cody Allen, etc.That also means the downside is larger, but I'm cool with that.I'm done being safe with signings, I'd rather miss or hit big.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel and h2oface like this

#42 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:15 PM

You're way overpaying for Gallo

Yup, besides the fact of he struck out twice as often as he got a hit. .206 BA no thanks.

#43 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,296 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:05 AM

I usually agree with you but not where Greinke is concerned. What are the odds of a SP not declining during his age 36-38 seasons? That's not an upside play. We heard the same arguments about trading Nolasco for Shields. Occasionally you get a Verlander or Clemens but the vast majority of times, age 36-38 is a downward spiral. He was good for 3.5 WAR last year at 35. 

You are right about Murphy vs Gallo. Gallo could conceivably improve his contact rate. Therefore, he could improve. Their is also a possibility he becomes Chris Davis as others have suggested. Davis was much better than Gallo and now he is one of the worst hitters in the league. I just can't justify trading away several prospects to get a 2.8 WAR player with serious warts when we already have a similar player in Austin, plus one of the best 1B prospects close to being ready in a year when these acquisitions are are unlikely to elevate us to win the division and when we would be decided underdogs against whomever we are up against in the playoffs. 

You rarely seem to want to add anyone in FA or trades (since it is usually only older players available).....not doing that has netted the Twins zero playoff round victories in decades. 

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.