Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Lev's Blueprint

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,458 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:42 AM

Offseason:

Sign Marwin Gonzalez 3y/39M

Sign Brian Dozier 1y/8M

Sign RP Cody Allen 2 years/20M

Sign RP Kelvin Herrera 2 years/20M

Total additions by Free Agency - 41M

Trade:

Send SP Stephen Gonsalves, 1B Lewis Diaz, C Jason Castro, 2B Travis Blankenthorn to Arizona for Zack Grienke and 20M in salary relief (10M each of the next two years)

Send OF Trevor Larnoch, SP Blayne Enlow, SP Zack Littell to Texas for 1B/3B/OF Joey Gallo

Total financial additions by trade - 17M

Total offseason - 58M

Roster: (28.9M)

Catcher: Garver 600k

1B - Gallo 600k

2B - Dozier 8M

3B - Gonzalez 13M

SS - Polanco 600k

DH - Sano 3.1M

OF - Kepler 3.2M

OF - Buxton 1.2M

OF - Rosario 5M

Bench: Cave, Adrianza, Austin, Austidillo (Total 3.6M)

vs. RHP - Dozier, Polanco, Gallo, Sano, Rosario, Gonzalez, Kepler, Garver, Buxton

vs. LHP - Dozier, Polanco, Sano, Gonzalez, Austin, Buxton, Rosario, Austidillo, Kepler

Rotation: (47.4)

Grienke 21.5M (10M from D-backs)

Berrios 600k

Gibson 7.9M

Odorizzi 9.4M

Pineda/Romero/Mejia 8M

Bullpen (32.5)

Allen 10

Herrera 10

Rogers 1.6

Hildy 600k

Reed 8.5

May 1.1

Moya 600k

Total payroll - $124M (According to the blueprint tvangle made for me!)

• nicksaviking, h2oface and Sconnie like this

#2 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

Let's move on from Dozier. 

• Thrylos, darin617, Twins33 and 7 others like this

#3 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:46 AM

No thanks to Dozier, especially for $8 million. I think he's cooked. Maybe a non guaranteed ST invite, but nothing more.
  • Thrylos, Twins33, Sconnie and 3 others like this

#4 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

I’m going to ask this with everyone’s blueprint, as I just did above in the blueprint thread ... where is Mejia? He’s out of options and too good to just let go, yet isn’t ‘top end’ guy but he’s a lefty. He will have to slot in somewhere.

And I agree with the no thanks to Dozier. I’d rather see Lowrie or Forsythe at this point, but I think moving Polanco to 2nd and acquiring a better SS will give us better strength up the middle.
  • birdwatcher, Thrylos, Danchat and 10 others like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#5 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:01 AM

Would AZ accept that deal for Grienke?Color me skeptical.If MN took on the whole salary then yea, but Castro is basically in there as salary offset as well...

• ashburyjohn, birdwatcher, Twins33 and 1 other like this

#6 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,050 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

Not bad, but agree AZ isnt helping with salary AND taking Castro. I do think Grienke is workable though, and IMO someone's going to get a bargain on Dozier, might as well be us.
  • nicksaviking and TheLeviathan like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:46 AM

I think the trades are a bit light but I like the general idea of seeing if Gallo is available. 

#8 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,816 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:57 AM

I think the plan is solid. I have no problem with Dozier coming back on a one year deal but as I have stated numerous times... Not without an alternative for the three months that he struggles.

I’d like to see you add a player for that purpose replacing Adrianaza and you left enough money room on the books to do it.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,561 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:26 AM

Not bad, but agree AZ isnt helping with salary AND taking Castro. I do think Grienke is workable though, and IMO someone's going to get a bargain on Dozier, might as well be us.

tend to agree. Think Dozier could be a bargain. One bad season does not equal cooked. And I agree we can get Zach.

I'd have a tougher time with the Gallo trade though 

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,758 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:37 AM

Whether we want Dozier or not, I kind of feel he'd like to move on. 

I'm probably on an island on this one, but I'm not a big Gallo fan. I think he goes from Khris Davis to Chris Davis before too long.

• SgtSchmidt11, Sconnie, GP830 and 2 others like this

#11 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,458 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

I think Dozier might be cooked too, but I'm just looking for a place-holder that might have some value.I'll roll the dice.

It's always hard to predict trade costs, but I don't think I'm as far off as people think on Grienke.It's a ton of money to take on.(And AZ has a black hole at catch, Castro isn't a straight dump)

#12 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:35 PM

Do the Twins have room to add more of a financial commitment to a Greinke deal?If so, what would a trade look like to take on 70/80/90/100 percent of his contract?Doesn't he have approximately 3 years, 100 million left?

#13 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,458 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:37 PM

Do the Twins have room to add more of a financial commitment to a Greinke deal?If so, what would a trade look like to take on 70/80/90/100 percent of his contract?Doesn't he have approximately 3 years, 100 million left?

Yes, easily.My blueprint has him and the payroll sits at 125M.Nick's was 150M without Grienke.

• zenser likes this

#14 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:40 PM

Whether we want Dozier or not, I kind of feel he'd like to move on. 

I'm probably on an island on this one, but I'm not a big Gallo fan. I think he goes from Khris Davis to Chris Davis before too long.

Nah, I'm right there with you.I'm definetly a bigger fan of OBP then AVG, but I just can't ever see myself wanting to sign someone whose career average is less then .225. (His career OBP is .317, so it's not that impressive)

• birdwatcher, SF Twins Fan and MN_ExPat like this

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,301 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:08 PM

Gallo is a tough call......I am not sure how I feel about that.

I like the Greinke idea, just another guy they could have had before just for money.......

I have zero interest in a Dozier reunion. Not a fan at this point, and he'll just be unhappy being on a team that "doesn't care about winning" enough for him....IMO.

• Twins33, rghrbek, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,758 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:20 PM

It would be nice if we had a beat writer who could find out if Greinke would waive is no-trade clause to come to Minnesota. I'd like him, but I have my doubts he likes Minnesota.

But this team doesn't have any beat writers any more so I guess we'll have to rely on other markets to get our intel second hand.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 2 others like this

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,458 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:24 PM

On Gallo - I like htat he is an option at 1B, 3B, LF, RF.Along with Gonzalez that gives the Twins a ton of flexibility.And a legit slugger.

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,458 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:26 PM

I’m going to ask this with everyone’s blueprint, as I just did above in the blueprint thread ... where is Mejia? He’s out of options and too good to just let go, yet isn’t ‘top end’ guy but he’s a lefty. He will have to slot in somewhere.

And I agree with the no thanks to Dozier. I’d rather see Lowrie or Forsythe at this point, but I think moving Polanco to 2nd and acquiring a better SS will give us better strength up the middle.

Mejia is in the mix for the fifth starter spot on my roster.  

I did think about Iglesias over Dozier.You might even be able to swap them under this plan for about the same price.But I do like the possibility of Dozier having one last gasp here and I see a spot needed for Lewis or Gordon soon.I'm not sure I want to lock into a guy like Iglesias who is not a good hitter and his defense may start to erode soon.

#19 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:44 PM

I applaud any blueprint because they take thought to put together and they're fun to read and easy to sit on the sidelines and pick apart...that being said I think this team strikes out 800 times just between Gallo, Sano, Buxton, and Dozier

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#20 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:16 PM

You're way overpaying for Gallo

• lecroy24fan likes this