Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Seth's Preliminary Top 30 Twins Prospect Rankings

royce lewis alex kirilloff brusdar graterol trevor larnach wander javier
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:46 PM

Alex Kirilloff missed an entire season as well, ,came back just fine... He hadn't played any full-season baseball yet either. When they're that young, it's obviously all about the talent tools and upside, but Javier's tools are incredible. 

I would also say that I think that the difference between 4 and maybe 14 is all a matter of opinion. 

Seth, didn't Javier injure and have surgery on his non-throwing shoulder if I remember correctly?

Also, have you heard any news about how his rehab is progressing or if he has even started it yet?

#22 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:53 PM

Is it possible Bailey Ober could have snuck into the back end of the top 30 if he hadn't got injured?Was pitching at a really high level when he went down.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:08 PM

Seth, didn't Javier injure and have surgery on his non-throwing shoulder if I remember correctly?

Also, have you heard any news about how his rehab is progressing or if he has even started it yet?

Last I heard, he was about to start hitting, and that was in early September. He should be ready for 2019 spring training. And yes, non-throwing shoulder. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:08 PM

Is it possible Bailey Ober could have snuck into the back end of the top 30 if he hadn't got injured?Was pitching at a really high level when he went down.

Possible near the end of it... Similar to Tyler Wells, really. Just a lot of injuries. His season ended with another elbow injury, but it wasn't structral, so he should be ready in 2019. 

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

To your credit, you did rank Kirilloff #5 going into last year coming off a significant injury.

If Kirilloff goes from #5 to #2 this year then the only logical correlation is that next year Javier will go from #4 to #1. :)

• Seth Stohs, birdwatcher, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#26 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

If Kirilloff goes from #5 to #2 this year then the only logical correlation is that next year Javier will go from #4 to #1. :)

I don't think that would be a good thing...

#27 sdangus

sdangus

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:08 PM

I think he was in the 40s somewhere. He is another example of the strong depth in the organization. But, he was an 11th round pick this year. Would that mean that I should almost have the 8-10 players drafted ahead of him ahead of him? He got off to a great pro debut,, but I always try to temper that just a little. 

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#28 sdangus

sdangus

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:15 PM

I think he was in the 40s somewhere. He is another example of the strong depth in the organization. But, he was an 11th round pick this year. Would that mean that I should almost have the 8-10 players drafted ahead of him ahead of him? He got off to a great pro debut,, but I always try to temper that just a little. 

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#29 jsteve96

jsteve96

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:18 PM

I like this list. 6-9 are really all interchangeable but this is probably the order I would go as well.

My changes would be to flip Baddoo and Celestino. I probably also would move acala up 2 spots, Jeffers up a couple, and Severino up about 6.

I love the backend talent of this list. Colina, Arraez, Balazovic and the sleeper that is left off the whole list is Anthony Escobar. A 1.10 ERA with 53K's in 57 innings really intrigues me.

• birdwatcher, caninatl04, rdehring and 1 other like this

#30 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

I like this list. 6-9 are really all interchangeable but this is probably the order I would go as well.

My changes would be to flip Baddoo and Celestino. I probably also would move acala up 2 spots, Jeffers up a couple, and Severino up about 6.

I love the backend talent of this list. Colina, Arraez, Balazovic and the sleeper that is left off the whole list is Anthony Escobar. A 1.10 ERA with 53K's in 57 innings really intrigues me.

Can I second your comment on Escobar, whom Seth doesn't consider eligible for this exercise.I really hope he is in Florida next summer so we can begin to learn what he has to put up those numbers.

#31 Buddy Holly

Buddy Holly

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:00 PM

I personally think Gonsalvesis the most over rated player on this site. Watching him at the end of the season, I saw a soft tossing Lefty that had no control. He will need to develop control and vary the speed of his pitches to make it at the Major league level. If he starts getting the ball over the plate, he may be able to be effective in the weak Central division for now. He may be able to develop into a 4 or 5 starter with time but, I think Khol Stewart is better suited to make it in the majors. Gonsalves is a trade candidate before he is exposed more, it may already be to late. I would rate him in the 30's, I know that's may be cruel but he needs to prove to me he is more than a AAAA player. 

• Mike Sixel and Halsey Hall like this

#32 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:13 PM

Only if you look at it wrong. No one says no to having both Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter in the system.

• Seth Stohs, Twins33, SgtSchmidt11 and 1 other like this

#33 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,347 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:47 PM

Having seen Littell and Stewart, I think you have to put Littell behind Stewart. Wade and Jeffers should be near Baddoo in some order. Celestino and Alcala aren't top 15 guys for me right now. Rortvedt is easy top 20. He will be in the majors. Jax is too high but prospects 25-40 are probably interchangeable to a degree. 

#34 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:49 PM

It could be good if if Lewis and Kirilloff are on the Twins roster.

• Twins33 and DannySD like this

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:51 PM

Good list. I'd probably make some changes, but they players I'd move around are pretty bunched up.

I just want Kiriloff to start in AA, same with Lewis. Let's see what they have, and move them aggressively like other prospects have been across the league.

I agree with the poster above that Gonsalves is over rated, and is more likely a stacking/RP type than a starter. 

• PseudoSABR, Ben Noble and caninatl04 like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#36 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

I believe this list will provide some great minor league baseball next year. I want to see the Pensacola stadium. It looks beautiful in a picture I saw...water on the background. Beautiful stadium, Royce Lewis, Alex Kirilloff, Brusdar G., Rortvedt, Jose Miranda, et. al., and the Gulf Coast in the spring.Sounds like a fun road trip (10 hours from where I live in NC). Are any of the TD contributors familiar with thePensacola stadium?

• caninatl04 likes this

#37 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,768 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:00 PM

Those are always fun. I still haven't thought about mine (always waiting until the next year in case of trades, cuts etc) but I will definitely have Arraez much higher that this, and so will Jeffers and Wells.  

Gordon is too high, so is Gonzalves.As a matter of fact, when it mattered, Stewart out-pitched Gonsalves and showed much more poise as a major leaguer.And they are the same age. I hope both Gordon and Gonsalves are traded while still have some value...

Misael Urbina has to be on that list, probably in the top 10 as well...

Edited by Thrylos, 06 November 2018 - 05:00 PM.

• Tomj14 and caninatl04 like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#38 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:35 PM

Got thinking after reading the above.Has anyone heard if there was serious damage to the ballpark in Pensacola?It is right on the water near the point where the hurricane came on shore.

#39 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:05 PM

Good list. I'd probably make some changes, but they players I'd move around are pretty bunched up.

I just want Kiriloff to start in AA, same with Lewis. Let's see what they have, and move them aggressively like other prospects have been across the league.

I agree with the poster above that Gonsalves is over rated, and is more likely a stacking/RP type than a starter. 

I'll be surprised if Lewis moves up to AA at the start of the season. I would expect him to spend a month or two in Ft. Myers since he moved up there later. But, it's possible. No doubt that Kirilloff will start in Pensacola. 

• dbminn, SF Twins Fan and MN_ExPat like this

#40 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:12 PM

Those are always fun. I still haven't thought about mine (always waiting until the next year in case of trades, cuts etc) but I will definitely have Arraez much higher that this, and so will Jeffers and Wells.  

Gordon is too high, so is Gonzalves.As a matter of fact, when it mattered, Stewart out-pitched Gonsalves and showed much more poise as a major leaguer.And they are the same age. I hope both Gordon and Gonsalves are traded while still have some value...

Misael Urbina has to be on that list, probably in the top 10 as well...

I can't argue against Arraez, Jeffers or Wells.

Stewart and Gonsalves both pitched better than Berrios did in his first MLB partial season, so I'm not ready to make too much about 24-36 innings. 

We're going back and forth on whether or not to include Urbina in the prospect handbook.

• birdwatcher, Ben Noble, howieramone2 and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, alex kirilloff, brusdar graterol, trevor larnach, wander javier