Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

MLB Trade Rumors Predictions

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:06 PM

I think the end is near for Cruz. 2015-17 OPS in the low .900s. Last year .850. Last year was also the first time in 5-6 years that he played fewer than 150 games.

I don’t like the trend.

IMO, Cruz is exactly the type of player the Ryan regime pursued: aging vets on their last legs. Every other team is looking to get younger and more versatile. Cruz looks like a “be mediocre” move to me.

One year is not a trend. No major change in BB%, K%, or exit velocity. Mostly BABIP.

He actually could do better if he didn't play half of his games in Safeco and an unbalanced schedule in Oakland, and Anaheim.

Still the man is 38 and doesn't pretend to field a position.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#22 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:32 PM

Cruz doesn’t provide versatility, but we need ‘A’ list hitters, period. Cruz would be a legit .260/.350/.510, 40ish HR guy. Regardless if its full-time DH we could use a professional slugger like him. Power as a tool, usually ages well.

How did LoMo work out? 

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,831 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:41 PM

How did LoMo work out? 

Nishioka was a pretty bad acquisition too.

But what is the relevance? Morrison had a career-worst year at age 30 after a career-best season at 29. Nelson by contrast has Cruzed through his 30s at a high rate of production. There's not too much similar about them, so it's a bad lesson to learn from Morrison that signing a player is destined to fail.

I'd advocate getting someone by trade, instead, but Tommy Herr worked out so badly.

• birdwatcher, scottz, nicksaviking and 7 others like this

Trust everybody ... then cut the cards.

#24 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:19 PM

For some reason I don't think players are going to get those giant contracts like everyone thought, similar to last year. Towards the end, right when spring training is about to start you are going to see a lot of players signing one year contracts again. I think the Twins need to take a few fliers in this category. They need to get a couple of bullpen arms early, and then wait for who didn't get what they thought they should. I know it didn't work out last year, but I feel that was an anomaly, I think they could find a couple of guys that perform well in this manner and save years of contracts so as to be able to resign important Free agents that they are going to be dealing with. I feel this is going to have to be the way the Twins do things because I just don't see big name guys wanting to come to Minnesota. Once they prove they can win for 2 - 3 years in a row then that may change, but I feel it is what it is right now.

Edited by Twodogs, 04 November 2018 - 08:20 PM.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#25 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

Overweight 3rd baseman

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:43 AM

How did LoMo work out?

Nelson Cruz has been a mainstay for nearly a decade and has had a SLG% over .500 EVERY season but one injury-plagued season 6 years ago.

Logan Morrison had ONE good season, and the Twins signed him for next to nothing. He tanked.

I would think the track record would matter in a legitimate discussion.

Edited by Siehbiscuit, 05 November 2018 - 09:43 AM.

• Doomtints, tarheeltwinsfan and HitInAPinch like this

#26 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

Overweight 3rd baseman

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:51 AM

Agreed. But doesn't McCutchen, or maybe Brantley, serve the lineup and roster and roster flexibility better as a whole?

I agree that McCutchen and Brantley can definitely improve the Twins team. But to make that move, the team would essentially be punting on Kepler. If the Twins can move him for a valuable piece, then an OF makes some sense.

After watching a punchless Twins team in 2018, I’d love to have a very good power bat in the middle of the lineup. I love the idea of a versatile defense and roster and those are great components to build a winning team. Normally, I would say that DH should be filled by guys needing days off and marginal defenders, but if a .850-900+ OPS-type bat is available and he needs that spot 140+ times a year. I think you make room for that production. Just my opinion.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#27 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:26 AM

Nelson Cruz has been a mainstay for nearly a decade and has had a SLG% over .500 EVERY season but one injury-plagued season 6 years ago.

Logan Morrison had ONE good season, and the Twins signed him for next to nothing. He tanked.

I would think the track record would matter in a legitimate discussion.

Good point Siebiscuit. Thanks for getting me back on track for a "legitimate discussion" about whether signing Cruz to only DH is a good idea. I contend that it is not, due to the plethora of alternatives available to DH for the Twins next year, all of whom can play defensive positions.

#28 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:43 PM

I agree that McCutchen and Brantley can definitely improve the Twins team. But to make that move, the team would essentially be punting on Kepler. If the Twins can move him for a valuable piece, then an OF makes some sense.

After watching a punchless Twins team in 2018, I’d love to have a very good power bat in the middle of the lineup. I love the idea of a versatile defense and roster and those are great components to build a winning team. Normally, I would say that DH should be filled by guys needing days off and marginal defenders, but if a .850-900+ OPS-type bat is available and he needs that spot 140+ times a year. I think you make room for that production. Just my opinion.

Totally respect your opinion. And again, would be pretty happy if Cruz was brought on board.

I also agree with your reference to guys taking "off days" to DH. That's kind of where I'm at, though a "primary" DH who can still play the field some is great! And that's why I like the McCutchen idea. Between 3 OF spots, DH, days off and Kepler playing some 1B, I think there's room for all 5 OF. (Assuming nobody is hurt and misses appreciable time, which obviously changes the dynamics some).
  • whosafraidofluigirussolo likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#29 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,748 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:22 PM

I'd prefer to improve the offense by other means than Cruz, but if they did sign him, they'd be hard pressed to also find a 1B only player as well. If they also want to improve offensive production, I don't think the Twins have the roster room for two defensively stuck players.

Which is OK by me, I don't want some league average hitter plugging up the 1B spot and from the looks of it, whether they go internal or external to get at bats for the 1B spot this year, league average is probably about the most optimistic outcome they can hope for.. 

• Ben Noble likes this

#30 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:40 PM

Since the Twins are building up to something special, it's really not the right time for Cruz, in my opinion.

If the Twins were looking to supplement because they have the other pieces settled or were bringing up a lot of rookies then I could see a place for him.

Edited by Doomtints, 07 November 2018 - 12:41 PM.

• Major Leauge Ready, rv78 and DannySD like this

#31 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:19 PM

They’re in no position to keep ANY lineup spot open, particularly DH, where you don’t have to worry about defense at all.

Agreed. Players the Twins used at DH in 2018 include: Johnny Field, Chris Gimenez, Logan Forsythe, Ryan Lamarre, Ehire Adrianza, and Gregor Petit. Ouch.

Robbie Grossman started the most games at DH for the Twins with a grand total of 36! Nelson Cruz, on the other hand, was the DH in 136 Mariners' games last season.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher and cmoss84 like this

#32 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:41 PM

do the plethora of alternatives available to DH for the Twins next year, all of whom can play defensive positions.

I have heard it all, the Twins shouldn't go out and get a guy with a .850OPS because he only plays DH. Because they have a bunch of guys with a much lower OPS that can play DH. 

• USAFChief, Twins33, Siehbiscuit and 3 others like this

#33 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:29 PM

Looks like we've been linked to J A Happ, according to mlb.com. 

Would be a nice signing...hoping it means that we trade some of our young pitching/Kepler for Realmuto (who has been linked to the Braves). 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#34 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:26 PM

I'd prefer to improve the offense by other means than Cruz, but if they did sign him, they'd be hard pressed to also find a 1B only player as well. If they also want to improve offensive production, I don't think the Twins have the roster room for two defensively stuck players.

Which is OK by me, I don't want some league average hitter plugging up the 1B spot and from the looks of it, whether they go internal or external to get at bats for the 1B spot this year, league average is probably about the most optimistic outcome they can hope for..

I know he’s a league average 1B, but for the right price, I wouldn’t mind trading with Cleveland for 1 year of Yonder Alonso. May not be Goldschmidt, but in terms of price (prospects) and production, a tandem of Alonso/Austin could be a major bargain.

#35 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:54 PM

The Twins have almost never had a good DH, so talking about how their DH options last year sucked isn't saying that much.

The Twins, perhaps like many AL teams, don't think of the DH as a position to fill with the best bat they can find. DH is viewed as as afterthought. Until the Twins treat the DH as a legitimate position just like all the other positions, it will continue being a spot in the batting order to slot people in to "give players a bit of rest."

This is, of course, the wrong approach. The Twins changing their thinking on DH would probably have more of an impact than fiddling around with openers or whatever.

• USAFChief and Tomj14 like this

#36 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 884 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:49 PM

If Arizona is re-tooling, I’d love to see a trade for Goldschmidt and Greinke.

#37 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:03 PM

If Arizona is re-tooling, I’d love to see a trade for Goldschmidt and Greinke.

The Twins are also re-tooling. That makes no sense.
  • Major Leauge Ready likes this

#38 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:56 PM

IMHO, free agency is a method to put your home grown team over the top, not a foundation, especially for a team like the Twins. I think history would agree.

You hit and miss on draft and develop, but when you hit, you know it. Next season will tell us all we need to know, but buying a World Series will never be a Twins outcome.

• Major Leauge Ready, DocBauer and rdehring like this

#39 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:25 PM

IMHO, free agency is a method to put your home grown team over the top, not a foundation, especially for a team like the Twins. I think history would agree.

You hit and miss on draft and develop, but when you hit, you know it. Next season will tell us all we need to know, but buying a World Series will never be a Twins outcome.

Absolutely agree. But as you say, you enhance your team. Or, in some cases, you might fill a spot temporarily. I think we can agree that a pair of RP, one bat, and a 2B would be supplementing, yes?
  • Monkeypaws, Major Leauge Ready and rdehring like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#40 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 884 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:09 PM

The Twins are also re-tooling. That makes no sense.

How so? Are they too good for us?