Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2019 Twins Coaching Staff News

derek shelton
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

Throughout the year, outwardly it looked like the pitching coaches were pulling their weight much more so than the hitting coaches.

Of course Ryan Pressly went and pulled back the curtain for the WaPo. So there must be much more (or much less) going on behind the scenes. I liked Alston previously, but I really like that this move is very anti-country club.
  • Thrylos and wsnydes like this

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,430 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:25 PM

I thought Alston did some nice things last year.Pressley credited him pretty clearly for his breakout.  

I don't know all the inner workings, that one just surprises me a bit.  

#23 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 31 October 2018 - 05:12 AM

If they don't feel he's a fit, I'm glad they are moving on, rather than staying married to a bad decision.

It may not mean that it was a bad decision, just that Baldelli has a guy in mind that he wants to bring along.
  • PseudoSABR and dbminn like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#24 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,712 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:25 AM

It is refreshing to finally see the Twins shredding the plague of the last couple decades that almost good enough was not only acceptable but was lauded as a success, and start holding people accountable for losing instead of giving them tenure for life.

The Twins underperformed this year with a team much better on paper that the one in 2017 that went to the wild card game.The pitchers other than Gibson (who was fixed in AAA last season and continued what he did last second half) either stayed the same (Berrios; who should have been much better by now) or under-performed.Lynn, Odorizzi, Reed, Hildenberger had career worst seasons.Lynn and Pressly turned into much better pitchers after being traded.

Why keep the pitching coach and the bullpen coach again?

Edited by Thrylos, 31 October 2018 - 07:25 AM.

• ToddlerHarmon likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#25 mike8791

mike8791

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:30 AM

It is refreshing to finally see the Twins shredding the plague of the last couple decades that almost good enough was not only acceptable but was lauded as a success, and start holding people accountable for losing instead of giving them tenure for life.

Amen to that!I had been a critic of Alston;s selection, not so much because of his failure for promotions with his previous clubs, but more because of the number of proven major league pitching coaches available last season, e.g., Maddox, Hickey, Bosio, etc.It just seemed like sheer hubris when Falvine plucked Alston from the depths of obscurity.Alston was by no means solely responsible for 2018's dismal performance, but can anyone name any pitchers who showed progress last year?At least the FO seems capable of moving on from their mistakes - a refreshing change from the Ryan regime.Now let's just hope they don't go to the Tampa well once again(shades of Neil Allen) and instead, look for the best man available.With a new manager, an experienced, proven pitching coach is an absolute must!

I would have liked that Rowson be ditched as well but for whatever reason, the FO sees more in him(they thought he was managerial material) than perhaps is warranted from the team's performance.If Rowson was responsible for helping the young core surge in the last two months of 2017, shouldn't he bear some responsibility for the drastic falloff this year?Of course, good hitting coaches stumble too - just look at Chili Davis and the Cubs in 2018.How much a hitting coach can really help an individual batter is much more of a crap shoot than in case of good pitching coaches who can combine experience with improved analytics to have a more positive influence on their staff.

But let's give the wonder boys some credit here.Kudos to going outside the organization for a dynamic new manager who, on the surface and in person, seems capable of inspiring his players as opposed to just "managing".Let's hope this trend continues with the new pitching and other new coaches.It's a good start to the offseason!

#26 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:44 AM

Any guy who is in the position to aspire to land a MLB manager job has spent plenty of time thinking long and hard about who he would want on his staff.If the FO is truly giving Baldelli the complete all-clear to build his own staff...then the retentions become the surprises.Singling Rowson out seems strange given last year's results.Also, I have a hard time buying that Shelton would ultimately be Baldelli's choice for bench coach.

#27 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:29 AM

I doubt Baldelli is driving the bus on this. He has barely had time to meet them much less work with them. Falvine basically hired Mollies staff so I’m sure they will do the same with Baldelli. Interesting that nobody is concerned that they just hired Alston. The wonder boys seem to be striking out quite a bit
  • Mike Sixel and KGB like this

#28 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:29 AM

It's entirely possible that the FO felt that Alston complimented Molitor really well, but feel that Alston is not a good compliment to Baldelli. 

I like fried chicken and I like steak. Chicken and waffles is my favorite thing to eat, but I'd take a hard pass on steak and waffles. 

The hiring and firing of Alston isn't necessarily a hastily corrected mistake. What the team needs from a pitching coach in order to optimize the coaching staff probably changed with the hiring of a new manager.

#29 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:15 PM

Amen to that! I had been a critic of Alston;s selection, not so much because of his failure for promotions with his previous clubs, but more because of the number of proven major league pitching coaches available last season, e.g., Maddox, Hickey, Bosio, etc. It just seemed like sheer hubris when Falvine plucked Alston from the depths of obscurity. Alston was by no means solely responsible for 2018's dismal performance, but can anyone name any pitchers who showed progress last year? At least the FO seems capable of moving on from their mistakes - a refreshing change from the Ryan regime. Now let's just hope they don't go to the Tampa well once again(shades of Neil Allen) and instead, look for the best man available. With a new manager, an experienced, proven pitching coach is an absolute must!

I would have liked that Rowson be ditched as well but for whatever reason, the FO sees more in him(they thought he was managerial material) than perhaps is warranted from the team's performance. If Rowson was responsible for helping the young core surge in the last two months of 2017, shouldn't he bear some responsibility for the drastic falloff this year? Of course, good hitting coaches stumble too - just look at Chili Davis and the Cubs in 2018. How much a hitting coach can really help an individual batter is much more of a crap shoot than in case of good pitching coaches who can combine experience with improved analytics to have a more positive influence on their staff.

But let's give the wonder boys some credit here. Kudos to going outside the organization for a dynamic new manager who, on the surface and in person, seems capable of inspiring his players as opposed to just "managing". Let's hope this trend continues with the new pitching and other new coaches. It's a good start to the offseason!

You mean besides Rogers, Pressly, Berrios and Gibson? That’s basically 1/3 of the pitching staff for the year.

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,692 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:48 PM

Shelton is coming back to be the bench coach.

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, Twins33 and 2 others like this

#31 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:32 PM

Dan Hayes of The Athletic reports that Derek Shelton will indeed return to the Twins as Rocco Baldelli's bench coach, which was more or less expected after he came up short for the Rangers job.

The Twins made it no secret they wanted Shelton back in this role, so they're undoubtedly pleased. Shelton spoke very highly of Minnesota's front office:

“The offseason has been a little hectic,” Shelton said. “It’s finally getting to the point where it’s calming down. Going through the process in Minnesota, and obviously I was disappointed with that, but then the support I got from Derek and Thad and Rob Antony going into the Texas thing, I don’t think you could ask for anything better. I’m truly very appreciative of not only the process in Minnesota, but how they supported me in the process in Texas. I don’t think you get that a lot of places. It speaks to the quality of people we have working with the Minnesota Twins.” 

Though he was hired as bench coach almost a year ago to the day, Shelton has developed strong connections within the clubhouse and organization. He was one of the masterminds behind Joe Mauer's epic sendoff in the season finale. He also has a preexisting relationship with Rocco Baldelli from their days together in Tampa.

If you're curious about Shelton's coaching philosophies, he did an interview with David Laurilia of FanGraphs in August in which he shared his thoughts on managing.

• nicksaviking likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: derek shelton