Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: 2018 Twins 40-Man Roster Decisions

nick gordon lamonte wade jake reed luis arraez nick anderson
  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:38 PM

Updated You be the GM 40-man Toolkit

Shows current MLB 40-man roster with list of Rule 5 Eligible for this year and next

Feel free to Make a Copy if you'd like or Duplicate the "DUPLICATE THIS SHEET TO MAKE YOUR PROJECTION" tab and make your own 40-man

Take a screen shot and post for others to scrutinize as they see fit

Here's mine

1030 40-man

• nicksaviking likes this

Is it 2020 yet?

#42 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:25 AM

Oh, hells bells, as much as I dislike Gordon as a prospect, I didn't mean to exclude him or Wade. I meant Arraez is the only position players among the non-givens. Since nobody on the first page of comments said "wha?" it must have been inferred by all. :-)

#43 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:15 AM

Don't you think it's a tad premature to be deciding the 40 man roster even before Rocco has a chance to see with his own eyes what he's got? Or not?

He won't see any of them with his own eyes until Spring Training, so they'd better not wait that long.

#44 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:16 AM

It seems the vast majority of Rule 5 players to stick are pitchers. I wonder if that's part of why the Twins, for example, are so disproportionately pitcher-to-position-player when it comes to their 40 man roster.

If so, that's an unfortunate side effect.

#45 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:51 AM

Updated You be the GM 40-man Toolkit

Shows current MLB 40-man roster with list of Rule 5 Eligible for this year and next

Feel free to Make a Copy if you'd like or Duplicate the "DUPLICATE THIS SHEET TO MAKE YOUR PROJECTION" tab and make your own 40-man

Take a screen shot and post for others to scrutinize as they see fit

Here's mine

I count 27 guys on the current 40-man and Rule 5 eligible that I want on the roster next year, and five or six of those wouldn't disappoint me if they were gone.

The good news is this off season should hold very little angst as far as roster decisions go. The bad news is there's a lot of work to do to because if you don't sweat losing good players, it means you don't have enough good players. 

• beckmt likes this

#46 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:29 AM

I count 27 guys on the current 40-man and Rule 5 eligible that I want on the roster next year, and five or six of those wouldn't disappoint me if they were gone.

The good news is this off season should hold very little angst as far as roster decisions go. The bad news is there's a lot of work to do to because if you don't sweat losing good players, it means you don't have enough good players. 

23 pitchers currently on the 40-man. 14 field guys. Whew.

I could easily say goodbye 8-10 players that could be replaced with competent cuts from other teams. Happily the Twins really only need to add 3-5, at the most, on their roster. Which made most of the trades look really good at the deadline...they got players that they didn't need to add to the roster but can take a good look at for a season in the minors.

Be interesting to see what remains of the AAA and AA rosters from free agency, and how many bodies the Twins search out for those rosters, compared to guys already in the system needing play.

Bu the reality of looking at the 40-man...how many names from the 37 shown would actually get a major league contract (i.e. 40-man spot) on the roster of another team in either league. That is what is scary of the Twins current roster!

• nicksaviking likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#47 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:59 AM

Bu the reality of looking at the 40-man...how many names from the 37 shown would actually get a major league contract (i.e. 40-man spot) on the roster of another team in either league. That is what is scary of the Twins current roster!

Yeah, those reliever heavy drafts are starting to come home to roost now. I once was very excited about many of those names. Now, while I still see some talent in several, most of them I'd only want back if they clear waivers and don't have to be rostered. 

• Mike Sixel, beckmt and Original Whizzinator like this

#48 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:05 AM

Navarreto was drafted in 2013, so he's not a free agent for another year. Bard and Baxendale became free agents at the end of the World Series. 

One thing for people to remember... The Twins will DFA some more guys before they add a few guys. I don't expect them to add too many. Remember,, those players added can't be removed from the 40-man roster until sometime in spring training. So, they'll leave some open roster spots and they'll keep some guys on the 40-man roster that they can DFA during the winter if needed. 

Do we know if LaMonte Wade is better than Robbie Grossman? I don't know that. I would say No right now. 

We KNOW Wade has options and is younger, so he gives them a lot that Grossman doesn't, in terms of flexibility........and potential, but really it's about options.

Gordon, Wade, Arreaz (sp?) for sure. Other than that, not sure it matters much.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#49 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:08 PM

Drake and Field have both been offed and claimed by other teams. Now four open spaces after the Michael Reed addition.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#50 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:50 PM

Drake and Field have both been offed and claimed by other teams. Now four open spaces after the Michael Reed addition.

Here's the links...
https://www.mlbtrade...adam-moore.html

https://www.mlbtrade...vers-twins.html

Edited by goulik, 01 November 2018 - 10:52 PM.

#51 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

In my "offseason blueprint" I've been casually working on, I'm currently clearing 11 spots on the 40-man, filling 4 or 5 of them with FA big league signings, then filling the rest with Gordon, Wade, and Triple-A/Double-A pitchers. 11 seems like a lot of spots but I'm not concerned about any of the names I included.

Yeah, literally no one of consequence has been selected in the minor league phase of the rule 5 drafts history. Baseball America answered a question I submitted about this a few years ago referring to Max Kepler. The baseball america link doesn't appear to work anymore, but there is this thread:

http://twinsdaily.co...and-max-kepler/

But in that article they talked about protection of players in the minors. There's "reserve" rosters (which aren't published to the masses) at Triple-A and Double-A. Literally all of a team's top prospects will be on the Triple-A version of this roster, even if they're at Low-A while eligible. That means they could only be selected in the MLB phase. 

Same thing for the double-A version of the roster, players on it can only be selected in the MLB or Triple-A phase. These total rosters amount to around 115 players, so you're buying from the bottom of a system's barrel in the minor league phase.

Johan Santana

#52 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,977 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:02 AM

Johan Santana

Santana was selected in the major league phase.
  • Steve Lein likes this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#53 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:20 AM

Johan Santana

decades* ago......

*well, in how baseball has changed. The rules have changed, who gets protected has, etc......

Edited by Mike Sixel, 02 November 2018 - 10:21 AM.

• Steve Lein likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#54 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:50 AM

Yeah, literally no one of consequence has been selected in the minor league phase of the rule 5 drafts history.

Former Twins 3B Brian Buscher:

1130758.jpg
  • Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

#55 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:03 PM

Also, per Wikipedia, White Sox catcher Omar Narvaez and Marlins/Phillies 1B Justin Bour were selected in the minor league phase of the 2013 Rule 5 draft.

Alexi Ogando and Aejandro De Aza are two more names I recognized when scanning the list.

https://en.m.wikiped...5_draft_results

Still, the odds are quite low.

#56 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,621 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:49 PM

Former Twins 3B Brian Buscher:

attachicon.gif1130758.jpg

I remember those debates..

though I think that may have had more to do with who was being played in front of Buscher.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nick gordon, lamonte wade, jake reed, luis arraez, nick anderson