Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Non-Twins Off-season news, tidbits and transactions

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,301 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:06 AM

Day, what, a million, and still no action.....

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#82 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,758 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:42 PM

The Padres are trying to trade for Noah Syndergaard it seems. Most people don't think he's actually available, but if he is, well, go get him Twins?

I know the hindsight game is always eye-rolling, but this is a fun one. It used to be a bit of a joke that the Twins had R.A. Dickey, liked him and loved his knuckleball, but couldn't find room to roster him, only for the Mets to hit the jackpot with him the next year. The epilogue to that old anecdote was that the Mets then flipped him for Syndergaard. Oh what could have been! eyeroll

• birdwatcher, Vanimal46 and cmoss84 like this

#83 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,723 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:49 PM

The Padres have a loaded farm system with higher FV players than the Twins. Makes sense for the Mets to listen to the Padres' offer.

Edited by Vanimal46, 16 November 2018 - 12:50 PM.

• birdwatcher likes this

#84 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,758 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

The Padres have a loaded farm system with higher FV players than the Twins. Makes sense for the Mets to listen to the Padres' offer.

Yeah, if anyone can get him it's the Padres.

But it seems like a bit of an odd strategy to me. They play in a ballpark where wholly underwhelming swing-men like Tyson Ross, Trevor Cahill, Drew Pomeranz, Andrew Cashner, Ian Kennedy and Clayton Richard magically turn their careers around. That organization's problem has always been that they can't find enough reliable offense, and it's been that way since that stadium was built. If I was SD I'd be selling out for some bats.

Or, possibly the cheaper route, renovate the stadium to make it more hitter friendly. Again.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#85 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:10 PM

But it seems like a bit of an odd strategy to me. They play in a ballpark where wholly underwhelming swing-men like Tyson Ross, Trevor Cahill, Drew Pomeranz, Andrew Cashner, Ian Kennedy and Clayton Richard magically turn their careers around. That organization's problem has always been that they can't find enough reliable offense, and it's been that way since that stadium was built. If I was SD I'd be selling out for some bats.

Or, possibly the cheaper route, renovate the stadium to make it more hitter friendly. Again.

Agreed-they need bats.

I'm waiting for them to empty out their farm system to trade for Trout, if he's willing to sign an extension (which might be $400 million).

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#86 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,723 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

For sure. But if they magically make the playoffs they will need an ace regardless. All of those pitchers would get demolished in a playoff series outside of SD.
  • Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

#87 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,723 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted Today, 03:08 PM

Being a WS hero gets you paid! That's more than any player over 35 received last year.

#88 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,723 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted Today, 04:38 PM

Passan Bomb! So much for Paxton coming here....

Justus Sheffield supposedly is the headliner. Other info to come.

Edited by Vanimal46, Today, 04:39 PM.

#89 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,298 posts

Posted Today, 04:55 PM

Passan Bomb! So much for Paxton coming here....

Justus Sheffield supposedly is the headliner. Other info to come.

Would have been an interesting target for the Twins with two years left of control.Let's see how steep the full package is, because just Sheffield and fodder sounds like a price the Twins could have topped.

#90 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,298 posts

Posted Today, 04:55 PM

#91 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,723 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted Today, 04:57 PM

Does that count as fodder? I've never heard of the other 2 guys but that isn't saying much...