Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Non-Twins Off-season news, tidbits and transactions

• Please log in to reply
634 replies to this topic

#621 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:45 PM

The Marlins rebuild takes a huge step forward if this trade goes through.Replacing 2 years of a great catcher with 5 years of an above average catcher.Also adding a flamethrower that is viewed as a future frontline starter and whoever else is included, sounds likely it will be another Philly top 10 prospect.

#622 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:54 PM

1. The 3rd piece isn't going to scare me either way from making the trade. Not when the headliner and 2nd piece is already set.

2. Realmuto is the most athletic catcher in the game. Alfaro may be one day. Check out his statcast data, specifically Sprint speed and pop time to pick off a runner stealing a base. I'll wait for your reply.

Defense is absolutely a measurement to make a move at catcher. You have to be really good offensively to make up for poor defense. I prefer better defense and ability to manage a pitching staff. I think Realmuto is much better at those aspects than Alfaro is currently, and most likely in the future.

3. His 2nd half slide doesn't scare me either. Over the last 3 years he has the most fWAR, 5th in WRC+, and played in the 2nd most games during that span, trailing immortal Yadier Molina by 3 games. You can hope Alfaro becomes someone like Realmuto one day. I'll take the player who's actually produced these numbers consistently.

They rank 1 and 2 in sprint speed for all catchers....0.3 MPH separates them.

Edited by SomeGuy, 07 February 2019 - 01:01 PM.

• biggentleben likes this

#623 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,446 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:09 PM

The Marlins rebuild takes a huge step forward if this trade goes through.Replacing 2 years of a great catcher with 5 years of an above average catcher.Also adding a flamethrower that is viewed as a future frontline starter and whoever else is included, sounds likely it will be another Philly top 10 prospect.

Or they could have kept all their good players, and competed for the division. Six of one, half dozen of the other....

#624 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

I value process over outcome, in terms of evaluating an organization and the people running it.  

Perez already pushes Meija, much less any of our AAA/AA starters, out of the of the rotation. A second starter pushes Ordozzi/Gibson/Pineda out of the rotation.

It's true that a great process won't always yield stellar results, but if the outcome is consistently underwhelming doesn't that have to reflect on the process at some level? 

IMO a lot of the defense of the FO at this point is blind faith. That doesn't mean I'm grabbing my pitchfork here, but their decisions/process need to start playing out on the field. It's year 3 and there really is no strong sense of direction, or much in terms of tangible results that inspire confidence moving forward.  

• USAFChief and Jim Hahn like this

#625 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

It's true that a great process won't always yield stellar results, but if the outcome is consistently underwhelming doesn't that have to reflect on the process at some level? 

IMO a lot of the defense of the FO at this point is blind faith. That doesn't mean I'm grabbing my pitchfork here, but their decisions/process need to start playing out on the field. It's year 3 and there really is no strong sense of direction, or much in terms of tangible results that inspire confidence moving forward.  

They get a little bit of a pass for me because Ryan left this team in such a dire situation as a modern baseball team.But I was also critical (often) of that regime for exactly that.  

I find that many that defend the FO (and those too critical also) are in their camp regardless of what the situation is.Thing is, you don't get to tell us to "slow down, it's Ryan's fault, things are great now!" when you were telling us "slow down, it's Smith's fault, Ryan's back and things are great now!" right to the bitter end.

Sorta a credibility killer right there.I like what these guys have done righting the wrongs of our minor league system.And I hope they have something up their sleeve with Perez, but they are losing time for me to be patient with their player acquisitions via trade and free agency.  

#626 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

Or they could have kept all their good players, and competed for the division. Six of one, half dozen of the other....

They were a sub .500 team with their good players and operating at a loss at that payroll.

Pulled this from a 2017 article about their new ownership.

The Marlins are expected to lose more than $60 million this season, according to a source who has seen their books, in part because their revenues are among the lowest in MLB and in part because their $115 million payroll is the largest in franchise history.

Read more here: https://www.miamiher...l#storylink=cpy

#627 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:54 PM

They get a little bit of a pass for me because Ryan left this team in such a dire situation as a modern baseball team.But I was also critical (often) of that regime for exactly that.  

I find that many that defend the FO (and those too critical also) are in their camp regardless of what the situation is.Thing is, you don't get to tell us to "slow down, it's Ryan's fault, things are great now!" when you were telling us "slow down, it's Smith's fault, Ryan's back and things are great now!" right to the bitter end.

Sorta a credibility killer right there.I like what these guys have done righting the wrongs of our minor league system.And I hope they have something up their sleeve with Perez, but they are losing time for me to be patient with their player acquisitions via trade and free agency.  

I think everybody can agree that this team operates in a more modern way. As far as internal operations go, yes, they get a pass from me as well.

They've certainly seemed to have handled the draft much better than Ryan did in his later years. Cave *should* be a decent 4th OFer, so that's a nice find. It isn't all doom and gloom. 

I think my issue is the same as yours. I was fine with year 1 being an evaluation year ect. That isn't the case so much with year 3. I think "hope," is the key word with the Perez signing, and a lot of what is tied to the FO. I'm fine with optimism, I was just expecting for it to be rooted in more solid ground at this point.

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#628 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:30 PM

Frank Robinson passes away today at 83 y/o. One of our all-time greats.

#629 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:03 PM

The Indians signed RP Alex Wilson to a minor league deal... despite him throwing 3.20 ERA and 1.16 WHIP the past four years combined. He'll make $1.25M if he makes the team... but I really feel like he should be making more money than that. I guess his lack of strikeouts combined with him being 32, and nobody wants to throw money at that despite being worth about 5.3 WAR in those 4 seasons.

• dbminn likes this

#630 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:29 AM

The Indians signed RP Alex Wilson to a minor league deal... despite him throwing 3.20 ERA and 1.16 WHIP the past four years combined. He'll make $1.25M if he makes the team... but I really feel like he should be making more money than that. I guess his lack of strikeouts combined with him being 32, and nobody wants to throw money at that despite being worth about 5.3 WAR in those 4 seasons.

This has been the reliever market all offseason. A guy like Wilson, who would usually be a one-year-contract sort of guy is now on a minor league deal. Instead of $15M per, guys got $12-13M...no, it doesn't look like much in the latter case, but if you noted relievers all winter were getting fewer years, less average annual value, and/or less overall contract value than projected across the board, and they were the only position seeing that.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com and TomahawkTake.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#631 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,478 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:26 AM

In addition to the strikeouts, I see that he builds his stats on a very low BABIP - .240 last season. Maybe that's a repeatable skill (a few pitchers like Kershaw do seem to be able to stay around .275 year after year), and Wilson's done something under .300 for all but one of his seasons, but I expect some teams are leery of that ability going away without warning. In 2017 when his BABIP was slightly above .300, his OPS-against was .764, which correlates well with his actual ERA of 4.50. Probably all this correlates with the eye-test that scouts file with their teams, too. I dunno, you'd think some team would have room for him, way down on their bullpen depth chart, but there's probably more group-think in the majors these days than ever before.

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.-- Oscar Wilde

#632 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:38 PM

I think everybody can agree that this team operates in a more modern way. As far as internal operations go, yes, they get a pass from me as well.

They've certainly seemed to have handled the draft much better than Ryan did in his later years. Cave *should* be a decent 4th OFer, so that's a nice find. It isn't all doom and gloom. 

I think my issue is the same as yours. I was fine with year 1 being an evaluation year ect. That isn't the case so much with year 3. I think "hope," is the key word with the Perez signing, and a lot of what is tied to the FO. I'm fine with optimism, I was just expecting for it to be rooted in more solid ground at this point.

Completely agree Its year 3. Year 1 was evaluation, drafting and building the organization. Year 2 is more drafting and player acquisition and high level evaulation. We should be able to ex[pect some tangible resultsw now in year 3.

It's kind of like when the Presidency changres. The first two years the ecomonyreally belongs to the last President because it takes that long to change anything and have the changes start to make an impact. Now we're in year 3 and those changes should impact on field performance.This team is Falvine's team and they can be fairly evaluated on the performance of this team without reference to what happened in the last administration.  

#633 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:11 PM

Minor league deals seem to be the floodgates around the league right now...

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com and TomahawkTake.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#634 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:35 AM

DeGrom's agent Jeff Berry — has suggested that players have on-field recourse to utilize against their employers to gain leverage in an increasingly unfriendly market setting. Specifically, he proposed that pitchers self-impose workload limits if they aren’t protected by long-term agreements.

What "leverage" does this impose?Not sure if adding an attitude/work ethic issue will make anyone more desirable. 

What would his teammates or fan base think if he abandoned a playoff run for his self imposed workload limit?Seems like a good way to kill your public image.

#635 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:23 PM

DeGrom's agent Jeff Berry — has suggested that players have on-field recourse to utilize against their employers to gain leverage in an increasingly unfriendly market setting. Specifically, he proposed that pitchers self-impose workload limits if they aren’t protected by long-term agreements.

What "leverage" does this impose?Not sure if adding an attitude/work ethic issue will make anyone more desirable. 

What would his teammates or fan base think if he abandoned a playoff run for his self imposed workload limit?Seems like a good way to kill your public image.

At this point, the desperation and frustration is at a fever pitch.There will be a long, brutal strike in the near future.

• PseudoSABR, dbminn and Vanimal46 like this