Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Joel Sherman Article: The Increasing Number of WP/PB

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:38 AM

Joel Sherman reports on the increasing number of wild pitches and passed balls in the major leagues, especially in the current playoffs:

https://nypost.com/2...-getting-worse/

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,347 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:50 AM

The sign stealing paranoia when there aren't runners on base is probably a strong indicator that a lot of teams are now stealing signs through other means. 

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,575 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:43 PM

Joel Sherman reports on the increasing number of wild pitches and passed balls in the major leagues, especially in the current playoffs:

https://nypost.com/2...-getting-worse/

that's some soft pedaling on the Braves' pitchers.....I stopped watching baseball for years because of that.

You can't have both excellent framing and less passed balls....it's a trade off. 

• gil4 and dbminn like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#4 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,756 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 26 October 2018 - 03:52 PM

You can't have both excellent framing and less passed balls....it's a trade off. 

That's a great point - I hadn't thought of that (and I haven't read the linked article yet.)When you're focused on catching the ball a certain way, rather than just catching it, you're more likely to not catch it at all.

I'm sure the increase in the number of guys throwing in the high 90s has something to do with it, too. It's not just the hitter who gets less reaction time. 

Other possible factors that come to mind:

More frequent pitching changes (catchers need to adjust more often.)

Focus on spin rates / improved science of breaking balls

Are there more pitches per game now than in the past? (My guess is there are)

Was the strike zone adjusted/reinterpretedabout a decade ago? (Maybe it was longer and I'm just old)It seems like the zone that is called is bigger top to bottom than it used to be, offset by a truer side to side zone (No more Maddux/Glavine special on the outside corner) It's tougher for the catcher to adjust up/down than side to side.

I'm sure there are more reasons and some of mine could be off base.

• Mike Sixel likes this