Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Your Turn: What Do You Want From A Manager?

paul molitor derek shelton brandon hyde rocco baldelli derek falvey
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,442 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:47 AM

An extremely highly rated prospect at one time, who did, essentially, nothing in his playing career.If nothing else, he should have some good cautionary tales for Buxton and Sano. :)

He did little (not nothing) in his career because he had a rare cellular disorder that completely derailed his ability to play baseball through injuries (likely a result of the disease itself, as it causes muscle fatigue). There's a reason he retired at age *28* while sporting a 101 OPS+ despite all those underperforming years as he fought through injury after injury.

Come on, are we really holding diseases against players now?

• Twins33 and jkcarew like this

#42 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,963 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:56 AM

Some fans got sick of Molitor within the first 2 years... Managers are short term, hence what I want from a manager is going to be short term.

1. Fix Buxton and Sano. It is imperative for the organization to do so.

2. Help young players take the next step. Berrios is close to becoming a front line starter... Find someone who will help him make the leap.

3. Someone who can quickly identify what they have and makes quick decisions. Don't let someone toil as a fringe SP if they can be better utilized in the bullpen.

4. Find a way to be competitive immediately.
  • nicksaviking, TheLeviathan and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#43 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

I would hire Doug White.The team needs someone who understands pitching, pitchers. He has a good pedigree from working in St. Louis and Houston.Shelton can stay the bench coach

#44 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

He did little (not nothing) in his career because he had a rare cellular disorder that completely derailed his ability to play baseball through injuries (likely a result of the disease itself, as it causes muscle fatigue). There's a reason he retired at age *28* while sporting a 101 OPS+ despite all those underperforming years as he fought through injury after injury.

Come on, are we really holding diseases against players now?

Nope...not at all.I did not know the story, so this is different.Thanks, Brock.

• Brock Beauchamp and nicksaviking like this

#45 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,442 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:48 PM

Nope...not at all.I did not know the story, so this is different.Thanks, Brock.

No worries, you just never can tell nowadays... some people would actually hold Baldelli's disease against him as proof of... well, something. I don't really know.

#46 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

ob's cure

• Members
  • 7,087 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:35 PM

/ I'll see myself out

You was safe!

Manager should challange that!

Oh, wait...
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#47 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:06 AM

I want a manager who just gets along with ownership and upper management and who is not all wrapped up trivia like wins and losses. I especially want a manager who is concerned about the players' personal lives and their day to day activities off the field and who wants the players to consider him (or her) to be a friend above all. On the field I want a manger who shows no emotion in the dugout and who rarely protests a call or the opposition's antics. The manager should remain stone faced in the dugout and concentrate on the lineup card, not action on the field.
Post game press conferences should always emphasize that the players are trying hard and there is no issue with effort on the field. Losses are simply part of the game and the result of a bad break here or a bad pitch there.
Finally, the manager should consider club house relationships to be far more important than what happens on the field.
I hope the Twins are fortunate enough to find such a manager for 2019 and far into the future as the year 2030 it will all come together.

... right now. Over me.
  • USAFChief and Twins33 like this

#48 less cowbell more neau

less cowbell more neau

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:52 PM

Bunts, lots of bunts.

• USAFChief and Vanimal46 like this

"Now, more than ever, we need the Jedi." -Bob Wilton

#49 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:46 PM

This is probably too late since we have now hired our new manager, but the reality is - I want a manager who can take the crap the FO gives him and make it look like a championship team.

#50 Teddy

Teddy

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:57 AM

Just have a clear role and set of objectives in every player's mind. They should step to the plate knowing exactly what they're expected to do with that at-bat.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paul molitor, derek shelton, brandon hyde, rocco baldelli, derek falvey