Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Your Turn: What Do You Want From A Manager?

paul molitor derek shelton brandon hyde rocco baldelli derek falvey
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:50 PM

1) Know what a tired pitcher looks like.

2) Know how to play matchups.

3) Put the players recently called up from the minors in the lineup and at their natural position.

4) Communicate with players so there are no unnecessary surprises for them, esp. when the front office has a "lapse" in communication.

5) Know the profile for a leadoff hitter.

6) Coach proactively. If the front office has to step in to solve a problem, you lose that player to the minors, a release, or a trade.

This feels all like basic stuff that I shouldn't have to mention.

Note that analytics isn't anywhere on this list. If you can't do the basic stuff nothing else matters.

Edited by Doomtints, 23 October 2018 - 01:52 PM.

#22 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,984 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:04 PM

I don't want a manager who thinks that Brandon McKay can only be a pitcher or 1st baseman but he can't be both at the same time.

This is going to make pickoff throws problematic.

/ I'll see myself out

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan and 7 others like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,984 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:06 PM

I want a manager who just gets along with ownership and upper management and who is not all wrapped up trivia like wins and losses. I especially want a manager who is concerned about the players' personal lives and their day to day activities off the field and who wants the players to consider him (or her) to be a friend above all. On the field I want a manger who shows no emotion in the dugout and who rarely protests a call or the opposition's antics. The manager should remain stone faced in the dugout and concentrate on the lineup card, not action on the field.

Post game press conferences should always emphasize that the players are trying hard and there is no issue with effort on the field. Losses are simply part of the game and the result of a bad break here or a bad pitch there.

Finally, the manager should consider club house relationships to be far more important than what happens on the field.

I hope the Twins are fortunate enough to find such a manager for 2019 and far into the future as the year 2030 it will all come together.

220px-A_Modest_Proposal_1729_Cover.jpg

/ Swiftian satire, this

• nicksaviking and Sconnie like this

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,447 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:59 PM

I want a manager who just gets along with ownership and upper management and who is not all wrapped up trivia like wins and losses. I especially want a manager who is concerned about the players' personal lives and their day to day activities off the field and who wants the players to consider him (or her) to be a friend above all. On the field I want a manger who shows no emotion in the dugout and who rarely protests a call or the opposition's antics. The manager should remain stone faced in the dugout and concentrate on the lineup card, not action on the field.

Post game press conferences should always emphasize that the players are trying hard and there is no issue with effort on the field. Losses are simply part of the game and the result of a bad break here or a bad pitch there.

Finally, the manager should consider club house relationships to be far more important than what happens on the field.

I hope the Twins are fortunate enough to find such a manager for 2019 and far into the future as the year 2030 it will all come together.

Funny, literally not a single person on this site has argued any of these points in the capacity you're laying them out.

Nice strawman!

#25 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:54 PM

I want a manager who will post an intro for the game thread with witty informative BS (ala Riverbrian) and is good at math (analytics) but not in the game thread.

Being nice to Seth would be a plus.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#26 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:56 PM

I don't want a manager. I want a momager.
  • Mike Sixel and less cowbell more neau like this

#27 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:17 PM

Red Dawg

#28 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:39 PM

There have been some terrific posts in this conversation and I wish I could be the one who comesup with the really smart answer, but the fact is - no one knows the managers' duties any more.It has not been defined.  

The most constant reply is leadership - yet, how do we define a leader - it is very different from manager to teammate.I think what we are looking for is a psychologist.Someone to balance the personalities.  

Then we have to figure out what all these other coaches are for and what their powers and responsibilities should be. 

Yup, the more I think about it, the happier I am that I withdrew my application before they threw it out. 

• Vanimal46 likes this

#29 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 04:56 AM

I want a manager who gets Buxton and Sano to play to their potential. (And who gets Joe Mauer a World Series ring.)
  • BBAM likes this

#30 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:57 AM

Seth,you wrote:

or could you consider a candidate who wasn’t good in his first manager job

I'd answer a hearty "yes" to that one. There have been plenty of "good" managers that failed miserably in their first time at the job. Terry Francona comes immediately to mind. He was a bust when he managed the Phillies back in the day, but suddenly turned into a "genius" when he managed the Red Sox and Indians. That aside, I don't think we necessarily need someone with MLB managing experience. Take a chance on one of these new faces and try something different.

#31 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:08 AM

That aside, I don't think we necessarily need someone with MLB managing experience. Take a chance on one of these new faces and try something different.

The last time the Twins hired a manager with experience Gerald Ford was president, so I wouldn't really call this idea taking a chance and trying something new.

Edited by Doomtints, 24 October 2018 - 07:09 AM.

• Doctor Wu likes this

#32 Einheri

Einheri

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:47 AM

You want to truly utilize Analytics?
Then break the mold and utilize a shifting strategy of managers—plural.
You can have one Manager as an Opener, call in another one when you need to make an important Relief Pitcher choice, and so on.  Put the Shift On and send Baldelli to the showers after going through the order once, let the "Wonder Boys" manage remotely for an inning or two, and then bring in Baldelli.  And so on.
If nothing else, it would mess with the minds of whoever watched.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#33 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:57 AM

World Series victories.

• Moosa105 likes this

#34 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,151 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:10 AM

This is going to make pickoff throws problematic.

/ I'll see myself out

Not if he runs really well.

Or, come to think of it, throws really slow.
  • ashburyjohn and Mike Sixel like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#35 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:20 AM

I would like a manager that sends me free box seat tickets whenever I want them.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this

#36 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,984 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:51 AM

You want to truly utilize Analytics?
Then break the mold and utilize a shifting strategy of managers—plural.
You can have one Manager as an Opener, call in another one when you need to make an important Relief Pitcher choice, and so on.  Put the Shift On and send Baldelli to the showers after going through the order once, let the "Wonder Boys" manage remotely for an inning or two, and then bring in Baldelli.  And so on.
If nothing else, it would mess with the minds of whoever watched.

You're either ahead of the times, or behind them.

1961 College of Coaches

#37 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

The new manager needs to be a developer of young players. Pure and simple.If he understands analytics or not, it doesn't matter because it is 1,000 times more important that he teaches his young players how to play baseball.

These managers are rare. As we have seen, most baseball managers would rather pencil in the name Bobby Wilson or Logan Forsythe rather than Willians Astudillo or NickGordon because a 30+ year old veteran isn't going to make bonehead mistakes that a younger guy is going to make.Of course, they probably only have a fraction of the talent but it takes mistakes, and hence losing, to fully develop players.

Young players will make fielding blunders;strike out looking in critical situations;run the bases like wildebeast without a clue;throw to the wrong base and/or miss the cut off guy; be inconsistent in the strike zone; make bad pitch decisions. 

But, as we know, even players that have been very conservatively moved up the minor league system are still incomplete players.This new manager is going to be coaching, eventually, the next wave of prospects from our system.The way we approached the first group (Sano/Buxton etc) has mostly failed.We cannot fail on the second group (Lewis/Gordon/Kirilloff).

• Mike Sixel and Minny505 like this

#38 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:44 AM

I want a manager who gets Buxton and Sano to play to their potential. (And who gets Joe Mauer a World Series ring.)

That's going to be pretty tough, unless he's going back in time.
You don't put on an event like they did for Joe, only to bring him back for another season.

#39 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:40 AM

I want everything Rocco Baldelli offers plus some actual managing experience.

Minus that, I'll take Rocco Baldelli.

An extremely highly rated prospect at one time, who did, essentially, nothing in his playing career.If nothing else, he should have some good cautionary tales for Buxton and Sano. :)

#40 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,984 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:46 AM

Not if he runs really well.

Or, come to think of it, throws really slow.

Approves:

0883be6ad65e3abd6867dd6ea7973341.gif

• USAFChief and Twins33 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paul molitor, derek shelton, brandon hyde, rocco baldelli, derek falvey