Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Offseason Primer: The Core Seven (?)

jorge polanco max kepler miguel sano jose berrios byron buxton
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,850 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

If the deal is right, they are all expendable.

This is self-evident, but also not very useful for armchair-GM planning purposes in 2019. Certainly if a bluebird flies in the window, you graciously accept the good fortune. But the Phillies aren't going to swap us Aaron Nola for Berrios, ditto the Rockies and Kyle Freeland. So, for all practical purposes, Berrios is not "expendable".

• 70charger and DocBauer like this

Trust everybody ... then cut the cards.

#42 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:42 AM

If the deal is right, they are all expendable.

I am sad to say I agree. The core or players I would not trade consists of Berrios Rogers, and Polanco (at 2B). I really value Garver's steady improvement so I am ok with him being considered part of the core. Buxton and Sano have so little value right now that I seriously doubt a deal comes along that would make sense to give up on their upside.

If we could get a return representative of the best of Rosario, great. His lack of plate discipline drives me nuts. Aggressive is fine. Astudillo is aggressive but he does not swing at pitches 16 inches off the plate. It does not appear to be not pitch recognition. Therefore, it should be correctable. He should be getting better with experience but it appears to be getting worse.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#43 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

There is no core. No core 2, no core 3, no core 4, no core anything. Maybe at the end of next year this can be a discussion with merit. If you settle for any of our players being core right now, your expectations will be self fulfilling mediocrity or worse.

#44 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:30 PM

Polanco is a black market Dominican supplement away from his second offense....and isn’t really that great of a defensive shortstop to begin with.

Here, here! Even Twins' fans seam to pretend cheaters are acceptable. That is not name calling, it is a historical reference. Very recent history, at that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jorge polanco, max kepler, miguel sano, jose berrios, byron buxton