Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Minnesota’s Managerial Candidates: External Candidates

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:24 PM

Mills is over 60, isn't he?

Makes Molitor look young.

Like the pedigree of Espada, especially two years watching Cashman up close.Speaks Spanish.Must be fluent in analytics, Puertorriqueno would help with Berrios and Rosario.

It would be ironic if we got older twice in a row. Gardy will start looking like a young, fresh face.

Edited by howeda7, 12 October 2018 - 05:24 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#42 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:59 PM

Thinking Molitor wasn't a good manager is completely unrelated to having a better candidate in mind.

Amen to that.This takes me back to the Gardy debate when if it were suggested Gardy be fired some homer would pipe up saying, "Who you gonna get that's better?"

I can't pretend to know who is the right fit for this job, but after watching Molitor I know for sure it ain't him

• USAFChief and d-mac like this

#43 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

Chris Giminez?  

I almost just threw up in my mouth!

#44 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:10 PM

You're not allowed to nominate yourself.

There goes my plan. I guess it's on to plan B - I need to start living in my van

Along those lines, I would like to suggest a guy I know,who lives in a van down by the river.

No reason in particular, but which river would that be?

• d-mac likes this

#45 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

Please tell me NO to DeRosa and Ross. I still believe in things like oh I don't know, actual experience managing a team a roster.

Palomar and Espada both intrigue me, and not simply because they bring a Latin influence, which I have argued for some time has been missing in the dugout.

Espada is currently working for one of the best teams in baseball, and I'm assuming he was there for the turnaround. (Not sure how long he's actually been with Houston at the moment). I like that he worked with Cashman and the Yankees and has worked in the WBC and has management experience in the winter leagues.

Alomar has some pretty solid credentials as well, was a tremendous ML player, and come on, there is something about quality catchers turning in to good coaches and managers. They see the game in a manner different than others from behind the dish. They understand handling pitchers, see the defense and how it works, and watch the entire flow of a game from a different perspective. My only problem with him is an odd one; so many truly great pkayers don't always make the best managers/coaches because the game was so natural for them they just seem to expect everyone else to see and know what they do. Can he truly teach and identify?

Slightly off target, I have a hunch that Watkins, an internal candidate, has a bright future. I just don't believe his time is now.

I have to ask you all, if Jake Mauer hadn't decided to walk away and had continued his success and general ascent in the system last year, would he be a top candidate right now?
  • brvama likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#46 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:05 AM

It would be ironic if we got older twice in a row. Gardy will start looking like a young, fresh face.

Mills is younger than Molitor.

#47 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:26 AM

I would love Meulens
  • d-mac and Doctor Wu like this

#48 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationJust say no to Rob Antony

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:19 PM

Rocco Baldelli?There's a blast from the past.

I seem to remember loving him on old baseball video games.

MVP 2005

4-27-2016: El dia de La Maquina

#49 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationJust say no to Rob Antony

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:20 PM

This ownership group was willing to fold the franchise less than 20 years ago. That is not fabricated.

16 years ago, different dude running the show now.

4-27-2016: El dia de La Maquina

#50 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:55 AM

No mention of Nick Punto? Hey, think of all of those other utility infielders that turned into good managers (Ron Washington, Renteria, Alex Cora, and Gardenhire come to mind) and maybe it isn't such a crazy idea.

#51 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,583 posts

Posted Today, 01:10 PM

Sounds like along with Derek Shelton, Brandon Hyde, Hensley Meulens and Rocco Baldelli (and maybe a few others?) have already interviewed. All look like interesting candidates to me and from an organizational perspective I like how under-the-radar this has been.

From a local journalistic perspective, seriously, what the heck. Unless they had all four (and maybe more?) interviews this morning, seems like our writers aren't on top of things.

#52 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,372 posts

Posted Today, 01:28 PM

16 years ago, different dude running the show now.

You know what they say: The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.