Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Offseason Primer: Twins Should Stick With Jorge Polanco at Shortstop

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:43 PM

I wish those numbers were switched and we were seriously looking for an upgrade at SS.

I concur, just starting to wonder whether Iglesias is that option.I originally advocated for it, but I wonder if there is a rebuilding team that would be willing to trade a SS that is a step up from Iglesias.

#82 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:53 PM

In fact, when was the last time you saw a butcher at first base? Hmm ...

I'd say Austin.  

#83 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,737 posts

Posted Today, 11:07 AM

In fact, when was the last time you saw a butcher at first base? Hmm ...

I'd say Austin.

Tyler Austin had 0 errors, league average range factor, and exactly neutral defensive runs saved.

It's fair to argue that he's not a defensive asset over there. But calling him a butcher is certainly not based on any factual data.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, Today, 11:07 AM.

#84 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,583 posts

Posted Today, 11:46 AM

Maybe the new strength and conditioning folks can build up Polanco's shoulder strength. He'd probably be quite adequate if his arm wasn't below average. 

If we can figure out how to get pitchers to add velocity I'd think you'd be able to do it with a shortstop as well. Anyway, that probably won't be the case but paying some physiology wiz to figure it out sure sounds more economical and practical than paying millions for a sub-par offensive shortstop.

#85 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,583 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted Today, 12:10 PM

Maybe the new strength and conditioning folks can build up Polanco's shoulder strength.

It's the thing to try. But it's not as though it hasn't been known as his weak point (no pun intended) as he came up through the minors; I expect strengthening has been tried. Indeed he's been a little better at SS than I ever dared imagine, and I chalk that up to likely extra attention to building up his arm strength further.

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#86 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted Today, 01:30 PM

Polanco’s problem isn’t entirely with his arm strength, nor is it with fielding the ball, the problem is his inefficient (and ugly) throwing mechanics and his extremely slow “catch and release” transition. A shortstop is supposed to (at least) adequately ‘smooth,’ Polanco is not.