Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

General Free Agent Discussion

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:37 PM

Here's my take:

Donaldson 4yrs/80 M

Iglesias4yrs/44M

Familia 3yrs/36M

Robertson 3yrs/30M

That's 53M for this year, putting us between 100M and 110M with projected arbitration, less Grossman.

Roster:

C - Garver, Castro

1B - Donaldson, Austin, Kepler

2B - Polanco, Adrianza

SS - Iglesias, Adrianza

3B - Sano, Donaldson

LF - Rosario, Cave

CF - Buxton, Kepler

RF - Kepler, Cave

SP - Berrios, Gibson, Odorizzithen 2 of:Romero, Pineda, Stewart, Gonsalves, Littel, Mejia

RP - Familia, Robertson, Rogers, May, Hildy, Reed, Magill/Drake/Moya

Lineups:

Vs RHP:  2B Polanco, 1B Donaldson, LF Rosario, 3B Sano, DH Cave, RF Kepler, C Castro, SS Iglesias, CF Buxton

Vs LHP:  2B Polanco, DH Donaldson, 3B Sano, 1B Austin, LF Rosario, C Garver, RF Kepler, SS Iglesias, CF Buxton

Donaldson can play 3B 20-25% of the time and allow Sano to DH, Cave and Austin can get occasional starts against same handed P when Donaldson or Sano need to sit or if Cave is outproducing Kepler. I really feel they need to add some additional RH pop into the lineup. These signings give them significant flexibility and protection from issues with Buxton and Sano. 

I feel like the Twins have some options for the 4&5 starter that I would like to see rather than a veteran depth signing. I don't see much at the top in the FA pool outside Corbin and Keuchel which I don't think we can win the bidding for. I'd rather they build depth on the back end of the bullpen that would give them a chance in the postseason and one that the manager won't burn out. Oops, I forgot the FO already took care of that.

Edited by Physics Guy, 10 October 2018 - 09:40 PM.

• USAFChief likes this

#22 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:21 AM

I haven't looked into it a ton but I'd definitely be fine with Escobar or Gonzalez. I'm warming to Donaldson the more people mention him, but I'd rather have that pipe dream guy. Not sure if mr pipe dream would want to be a 3B though. I'd take him as a SS too. Otherwise, Iglesias would be a top priority to improve SS defense.

Signing or trading for a good CF is a must, Buxton insurance. Corbin would be great if he pitches like that again. I'd take that risk. And I haven't looked at RP FA's, but it's a must to sign 2-3 of them.

#23 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:24 AM

I would want absolutely nothing to do with a 4 year contract to Donaldson.

• Rigby, Drew, Doctor Wu and 1 other like this

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,765 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:14 AM

Here's my take:

Donaldson 4yrs/80 M
Iglesias 4yrs/44M
Familia 3yrs/36M
Robertson 3yrs/30M

That's 53M for this year, putting us between 100M and 110M with projected arbitration, less Grossman.

Roster:
C - Garver, Castro
1B - Donaldson, Austin, Kepler
2B - Polanco, Adrianza
SS - Iglesias, Adrianza
3B - Sano, Donaldson
LF - Rosario, Cave
CF - Buxton, Kepler
RF - Kepler, Cave

SP - Berrios, Gibson, Odorizzi then 2 of: Romero, Pineda, Stewart, Gonsalves, Littel, Mejia

RP - Familia, Robertson, Rogers, May, Hildy, Reed, Magill/Drake/Moya

Lineups:

Vs RHP: 2B Polanco, 1B Donaldson, LF Rosario, 3B Sano, DH Cave, RF Kepler, C Castro, SS Iglesias, CF Buxton

Vs LHP: 2B Polanco, DH Donaldson, 3B Sano, 1B Austin, LF Rosario, C Garver, RF Kepler, SS Iglesias, CF Buxton

Donaldson can play 3B 20-25% of the time and allow Sano to DH, Cave and Austin can get occasional starts against same handed P when Donaldson or Sano need to sit or if Cave is outproducing Kepler. I really feel they need to add some additional RH pop into the lineup. These signings give them significant flexibility and protection from issues with Buxton and Sano.

I feel like the Twins have some options for the 4&5 starter that I would like to see rather than a veteran depth signing. I don't see much at the top in the FA pool outside Corbin and Keuchel which I don't think we can win the bidding for. I'd rather they build depth on the back end of the bullpen that would give them a chance in the postseason and one that the manager won't burn out. Oops, I forgot the FO already took care of that.

That would put them at $118.75 million, going by MLB trade rumors estimates, and excluding Grossman.
I'm not optimistic that they'll spend that much.

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,615 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:30 AM

I would want absolutely nothing to do with a 4 year contract to Donaldson.

That does look like trouble defensively. I might still be interested, I really want a big RH bat to work the left field seats like Dozier and Willingham used to.

Iglesias is a popular name I see. I don't want him around for four years though either, his bat is just so weak. Would Freddy Galvis come aboard for two years? SS isn't an all-glove position anymore, one of these years I'm going to want someone (through trade, free agency or development) for the long term; someone who isn't going to be an offensive liability and I don't think a four year deal to a stop-gap guy is my cup of tea.

#26 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:40 AM

Seriously. Sign Machado for 8 years 300. He will be worth it. Play ss until Lewis is ready (which might be after next year). Let Sano play 3b next year. Find a replacement level player to be a utility inf, and insurance for Sano.

Then, upgrade the pitching staff. Help the bullpen, and upgrade the rotation if they price is right.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#27 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,615 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:48 AM

Seriously. Sign Machado for 8 years 300. He will be worth it. Play ss until Lewis is ready (which might be after next year). Let Sano play 3b next year. Find a replacement level player to be a utility inf, and insurance for Sano.

Then, upgrade the pitching staff. Help the bullpen, and upgrade the rotation if they price is right.

I'd be in favor, but there's probably at least a half dozen teams that can or would top that. The Yankees being chief among them.

Here's the most depressing line from the most depressing article I've read today:

"Mere dollar figures might not do justice to how much room the Yankees have to spend this winter, so let’s put it another way: New York could sign Patrick Corbin, Clayton Kershaw, and Manny Machado and still end up spending the same amount on payroll and taxes as they did in the 2015 and -16 seasons."

https://www.fangraph...payroll-to-use/

But the good news is the Yankees are loaded in the bullpen so a team like the Twins may not have to compete against them for that particular area of the game.

#28 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:00 PM

I for one have an issue with this guy being added to what could be politely considered a clubhouse with some issues already

Is it 2020 yet?

#29 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,632 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

I for one have an issue with this guy being added to what could be politely considered a clubhouse with some issues already

Oh, that's just Dozier and Escobar having some fun with a mock spat, there. :)

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#30 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,825 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:51 AM

the motor city kitties lost 98 games. There’s gonna be some of those with that level of ineptitude.

#31 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:09 AM

Seeing lots of interesting and intriguing names tossed around, some of whom would obviously help this team. But most of it strikes me as wishful thinking. My hunch is that the Twins will be much less active in the free agent market this year than last year.