Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

General Free Agent Discussion

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:32 AM

I'm ready to go hog wild on free agent relievers, there seem to be nearly two dozen that could be back-end guys but I don't know that I have anyone specific that I really want. I want strikeouts and I'd like walks limited. I used to say I wanted velocity but really that's only for the strikeouts, however I think we saw with Reed this year that it's a really thin line.

Who else are people looking for? There's only a handful of bats and starters that interest me so I think I'd prefer to try to swing some trades for those spots but I know others will have different opinions. I'm guessing Patrick Corbin will be a popular name. I just looked at him a bit closer and didn't realize he only throws 90-92, I thought he'd throw harder. I'm also not a fan of his high sinker usage, but I am a fan of his obscenely high slider usage. I like me some slider. Where are we at medically these days with high slider usage? It seems to me that it used to be assumed that overuse of the slider was a red flag for future injuries. Is that still a common philosophy or have we moved away from that.

Josh Donaldson? I know he's another popular choice, that could be fun.

Anyway, just thought people could start tossing out their favorite targets.

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,939 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:18 AM

Like you I'm intrigued with over a dozen bullpen arms. I hope they invest in at least 2 arms that can be fireman types, and one more flyer.

Josh Donaldson makes a lot of sense for 3B/1B, but is a high risk. He could boom or bust at this point in his career.

As far as a "6th man" type who rotates all over the field starting wherever someone needs a day off I really like Marwin Gonzalez.

And SS I think it's Iglesias or bust as far as FA options.
  • nicksaviking, PseudoSABR, Sconnie and 3 others like this

#3 Clear

Clear

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:19 AM

Ottavino could help this BP
  • nicksaviking and ChrisKnutson like this

Kirilloff lowkey going to win AL ROY and MVP

#4 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:27 AM

Like you I'm intrigued with over a dozen bullpen arms. I hope they invest in at least 2 arms that can be fireman types, and one more flyer.

Josh Donaldson makes a lot of sense for 3B/1B, but is a high risk. He could boom or bust at this point in his career.

As far as a "6th man" type who rotates all over the field starting wherever someone needs a day off I really like Marwin Gonzalez.

This would be my ideal offseason, knowing that the Twins won't get Harper or Machado. The Twins need two good bullpen arms to add to May, Rodgers and Hildenberger. I'd be willing to add Donaldson on a 2 to maybe 3 year deal since he will be 33 in December. Adding Iglesis would allow Polanco to move to 2nd, where he is better suited for and would greatly improve the infield defense.

• Kelly Vance and Vanimal46 like this

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,939 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:29 AM

Another guy I'm interested in is Andrew McCutchen as a RH starting option in the OF. That would also help fulfill my prophecy of trading Kepler + Gordon for starting pitching.
  • nicksaviking, Kelly Vance, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#6 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:36 AM

I think signing Iglesias and moving Polanco to 2nd is huge along with a couple BP arms. One or both of them will hopefully be pushed out but that's ideal.

Love the Donaldson move to as long as the market factors in the risk.

Gonzalez was someone I was thinking of too until Austudillo came along. I know the baseball pundits don't think he belongs on a MLB roster and Gonzalez is a very good utility man but Austidillo was a breath of fresh air and he can BU at catcher. I would sit him down and have a talk about the importance of conditioning and then arm him with the help of a nutritionist and strength coach.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,939 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:55 AM

I think signing Iglesias and moving Polanco to 2nd is huge along with a couple BP arms. One or both of them will hopefully be pushed out but that's ideal.

Love the Donaldson move to as long as the market factors in the risk.

Gonzalez was someone I was thinking of too until Austudillo came along. I know the baseball pundits don't think he belongs on a MLB roster and Gonzalez is a very good utility man but Austidillo was a breath of fresh air and he can BU at catcher. I would sit him down and have a talk about the importance of conditioning and then arm him with the help of a nutritionist and strength coach.

Yeah I think moving Polanco off SS is the highest priority move for the lineup.

Frankly I am more comfortable if Astudillo is the first reinforcement from AAA. But I haven't seen him play enough in the field to know if he can play multiple positions well. Or if he's passable, much like Grossman was in the OF.
  • Sconnie likes this

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,587 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:14 AM

SS Iglesias 4/50

3B Escobar 4/50

RP Britton 4/60

RP Capps 3/30

OF Cutch 2/20

That's about 60M and would make for the following roster:

C - Garver/Austidillo

1B - Austin/Sano/OF

2B - Polanco

SS - Iglesias

3B - Escobar

LF - Rosario

CF - Cutch/Buxton

RF - Kepler

DH - Sano/Austin

Bench: Adrianza/Cave/Cutch

SP - Berrios

SP - Gibson

SP - Odorizzi

SP - Romero

SP - ?

CL - Britton

RP - Capps, Rogers, Hildy, Reed, May, Moya, Magill/Whomever

I'd also be looking to bargain add a SP that someone feels they are paying too much.Like Grienke.

• nicksaviking, Kelly Vance, NoCryingInBaseball and 3 others like this

#9 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:20 AM

Another guy I'm interested in is Andrew McCutchen as a RH starting option in the OF. That would also help fulfill my prophecy of trading Kepler + Gordon for starting pitching.

I have always liked Andrew, same as Lo Cain. These are guys I'd just like to see on the team. 

• nicksaviking likes this

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:35 AM

Yeah, so far it seems we're real big on veteran role model types. If that's a thing we're still doing with the new manager McCutchen would be a great addition considering that he's actually a capable player as well. With his reliable on base skills I'd plug him right into the leadoff spot and feel better about starting off the game than I would be with one of the young guys who we're still only projecting. He'd show all the young guys how to use the entire field as well.

#11 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

SS Iglesias 4/50

3B Escobar 4/50

RP Britton 4/60

RP Capps 3/30

OF Cutch 2/20

C - Garver/Austidillo

1B - Austin/Sano/OF

2B - Polanco

SS - Iglesias

3B - Escobar

LF - Rosario

CF - Cutch/Buxton

RF - Kepler

DH - Sano/Austin

SP - Berrios

SP - Gibson

SP - Odorizzi

SP - Romero

SP - ?

CL - Britton

I'd also be looking to bargain add a SP that someone feels they are paying too much.Like Grienke.

Matt Capps has not pitched in the majors for 6 years. Carter has not had a full season in over 3 years. His hop step is no longer allowed, he had to relearn how to pitch,Either would be ecstatic over a 3/30 deal. Carter Capps could be had for an incentive laden contract .More probable is a minor league deal with an invite to camp to preserve 40 man space.

• DannySD likes this

#12 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:57 AM

I’m liking these ideas especially Iglesias at short with Polanco to second. I would add 3 BP arms as I don’t trust any of them besides May and Rogers. Third priority would a good right handed hitting outfielder that be acceptable defensively. If this got done I would be happy

#13 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:15 PM

SS Iglesias 4/50

3B Escobar 4/50

RP Britton 4/60

RP Capps 3/30

OF Cutch 2/20

C - Garver/Austidillo

1B - Austin/Sano/OF

2B - Polanco

SS - Iglesias

3B - Escobar

LF - Rosario

CF - Cutch/Buxton

RF - Kepler

DH - Sano/Austin

SP - Berrios

SP - Gibson

SP - Odorizzi

SP - Romero

SP - ?

CL - Britton

No Castro?

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,587 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:42 PM

You are correct, I forgot about him. Not sure what to think about Castro.

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,587 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:43 PM

Matt Capps has not pitched in the majors for 6 years. Carter has not had a full season in over 3 years. His hop step is no longer allowed, he had to relearn how to pitch,Either would be ecstatic over a 3/30 deal. Carter Capps could be had for an incentive laden contract .More probable is a minor league deal with an invite to camp to preserve 40 man space.

I disagree Carter Capps is going to be a minor league deal. Maybe I'm too high, but that's way too low.

#16 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,921 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:13 PM

SS Iglesias 4/50

3B Escobar 4/50

RP Britton 4/60

RP Capps 3/30

OF Cutch 2/20

C - Garver/Austidillo

1B - Austin/Sano/OF

2B - Polanco

SS - Iglesias

3B - Escobar

LF - Rosario

CF - Cutch/Buxton

RF - Kepler

DH - Sano/Austin

SP - Berrios

SP - Gibson

SP - Odorizzi

SP - Romero

SP - ?

CL - Britton

Castro's knee makes me agree with you that he won't be putting on the tools of ignorance in '19. 

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,587 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:42 PM

Seems Capps is not a FA, last time I trust sportrac!

#18 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

Really like most of the ideas here and generally agree. Skipping names for the BP as there are a lot of options that will be out there, but 2 for sure.

Even though I feel Polanco is OK at SS and improving, he's moving to 2B sooner or later anyway, (Lewis). Iglesius makes perfect sense at SS.

I know it's a worn out arguement and not worth discussing directly, but I like a healthy Sano at 3B. But I also love Escobar as a play every day utility who could also end up starting at one position.

I am torn about 1 last guy: 1B or OF? Do we trust Austin to be the starter at 1B? Is there a better option that wouldn't be long term with a couple top prospects like Rooker and Khirriloff close? (Kepler could also be a fit). Or do we look for an OF/DH instead who might even hit lead off and be dangerous? Believe McCutcheon was just mentioned.

It's the last option that I'm unsure about.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#19 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:51 PM

The thing with Donaldson is you'd almost have to plan on him being at 1B/DH, which is fine but actually relying on him to play 3B and stay healthy doing it is wishful thinking

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:07 PM

I am torn about 1 last guy: 1B or OF? Do we trust Austin to be the starter at 1B? Is there a better option that wouldn't be long term with a couple top prospects like Rooker and Khirriloff close? (Kepler could also be a fit). Or do we look for an OF/DH instead who might even hit lead off and be dangerous? Believe McCutcheon was just mentioned.

It's the last option that I'm unsure about.

Unless they find themselves a real thumper at 1B who's going to be a no-doubt difference maker I'd rather play matchups at 1B and rotate Austin, Sano, Garver and Kepler there. 

It would be nice if the team made a move right away for a defensively flexible player, say Marwin Gonsalez, so they can make later moves that maybe aren't so driven by specific positions.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33 and DocBauer like this