Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins projected arb salaries

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:15 PM

$80 million payroll with all of this. Still leaves the Twins with $40-50 million to spend, though.

Have to ask...who from this list should be extended beyond...in other words buy them out into the free agent years. That is step #1. (Rosario, Gibson).

#2 is, who is still a bargain, fills a hole, and could be flipped during the season> Odorizzi fits that category. Maybe Adrianza.

#3...who do we pay a percentage of the salary for a spring training looksee of alternative plan if nothing is done in the off-season (Grossman). 

Yes, you look at the list and think "how much would they get from another team, any team, if they were a free agent." Which reflects on the quality of players the Twins currently roster, I guess.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#62 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:03 PM

I was thinking more of trading some of it to the teams trying to sign them.

Ah, got it. 

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#63 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,000 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:21 PM

$80 million payroll with all of this. Still leaves the Twins with $40-50 million to spend, though.

Is there any source with good inside information on what they will spend? I don't expect $130M. Even $120M is doubtful. I'll guess $105M. I think someone else here was saying below $100M.

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#64 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:26 PM

Lower than last year, no question. They aren't getting a $50 million check from BAMTech in 2019, nor are people lining out the door to sign up for season tickets.

#65 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:33 PM

Is there any source with good inside information on what they will spend? I don't expect $130M. Even $120M is doubtful. I'll guess $105M. I think someone else here was saying below $100M.

51% of revenue is pretty well documented, so that's what I'd expect.
Of course, we don't see the books, but I'll predict $103 million.

#66 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,930 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:48 PM

This is the direction I'm leaning right now as well. If you let Robbie go, you need to replace him with a better bat, and one that's proven it in the majors. If you non-tender Grossman with the objective of letting it ride with internal options, you're taking an unnecessary risk. And to everyone thinking $4 million is a lot of money, you need to remove your glasses that have Pohlad-colored lenses, lol.

Grossman was the Twins' best hitter in the second half, his 128 wRC+ after the break was tied for 33rd among the 165 AL hitters (top 20 percent) with at least 100 PAs and his defense was better than 2017 -- not good, but better. Meanwhile, Cave had a 33.0 K% to go with just a 5.8 BB% and Wade hit .229/.337/.336 over 294 PAs in Triple A.

Bird in hand vs. two in bush.

I’m in the let Grossman go so you can aquire an upgrade over Kepler in right.

Maybe Kepler is your starting CF or 4th OF depending if Buxton can get his poop in a group.

I’ve heard Cutch as an option that I could get behind. Maybe a trade.

If the roster is going to improve, there has to be some change

#67 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:01 PM

I’m in the let Grossman go so you can aquire an upgrade over Kepler in right.

Maybe Kepler is your starting CF or 4th OF depending if Buxton can get his poop in a group.

I’ve heard Cutch as an option that I could get behind. Maybe a trade.

If the roster is going to improve, there has to be some change

Mccutcheon and Kepler had identical bWAR this year. How is that an upgrade?
  • Sconnie and dbminn like this

#68 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,930 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:22 PM

Mccutcheon and Kepler had identical bWAR this year. How is that an upgrade?

In RF I don’t value fielding as highly as BBRef.

Kepler OPS .727 last year and has career .730. Cutch last year was .792 and career .859.

#69 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:32 AM

51% of revenue is pretty well documented, so that's what I'd expect.
Of course, we don't see the books, but I'll predict $103 million.

If they spend $103 million this year that would be spitting in the face of Twins fans. I can't believe they would pull that kind of horse ****. 

#70 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:15 AM

My offseason plan:

(1) Trade a 10-20 level prospect for Justin Smoak - $8 million 1 year option

(2) sign Eduardo Escobar, Asdrubal Cabrera or Marwin Gonzalez to a 2 or 3 year deal at about $10-12 million a year.

(3) Sign Jeurys Familia, David Robertson or Adam Ottavino to a 2 or 3 year deal (Robertson only 2) at about $10-13 million a year.

(4) Trade or non-tender Grossman - + $4million

(5) Sign Corbin, Keuchel, Ryu (4-5 year deal), Charlie Morton (1-2 year deal only) or AJ Happ (1 year deal only) for up to $25 million a year for Corbin, with progressively less for the others.

At most that is $54 million added for 2019. I'd also like to see Berrios and Rosario extended.

Versus RHP

(1) Polanco (SS)

(2) Rosario (LF)

(3) Smoak (1B)

(4) Sano (3B)

(5) Cave (DH)

(6) Kepler (RF)

(7) Escobar/Cabrera/Gonzalez (2B) 

(8) Castro ©

(9) Buxton (CF)

Versus LHP

(1) Polanco (SS)

(2) Rosario (LF)

(3) Sano (3B)

(4) Austin (1B)

(5) Garver (DH/C)

(6) Escobar/Cabrera/Gonzalez (2B)

(7) Astudillo (DH/C)

(8) Kepler (RF)

(9) Buxton (CF)

Others on the bench: Adrianza (to start - Gordon would ideally take this spot mid-season if he hits better at AAA)

Starters:

(1) Signed FA or Kohl Stewart if FA not signed (obviously prefer to avoid this).

(2) Berrios

(3) Gibson

(4) Odorizzi

(5) Pineda (if healthy) or Romero

Relievers:

(1) Signed FA

(2) Rogers

(3) May

(4) Reed 

(5) Hildenberger

(6) Drake

(7) Vasquez 

Edited by nytwinsfan, 14 October 2018 - 07:19 AM.

• Mike Sixel and TheLeviathan like this

#71 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:41 PM

If they spend $103 million this year that would be spitting in the face of Twins fans. I can't believe they would pull that kind of horse ****.

That's been their model for as long as they've owned the team. I'm not sure why we'd expect it to change now.

#72 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:57 PM

That's been their model for as long as they've owned the team. I'm not sure why we'd expect it to change now.

doesn't mean we have to like the model......but yes, I expect it.

• Physics Guy likes this

#73 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:43 AM

With both Cave and Grossman as backup OF and Sano and Austin and Kepler in current 1B mix and Sano in at 3B and DH a mixture of all these guys it seems there is room for Grossman who hit like Mauer last year and is the only one of these guys who is really good at getting on base. Also all these guys are inexpensive next year. Also Killeroff and Rooker could push for playing time later in the season, making Grossman a good player to include in a trade for a prospect at the trade deadline. He would be a player who gets on base at over a .360 clip for around a million for the last 6 weeks of the season. Could fetch a lottery ticket if Twins are out of it then. Especially if a team in contention has an injury...

#74 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

With both Cave and Grossman as backup OF and Sano and Austin and Kepler in current 1B mix and Sano in at 3B and DH a mixture of all these guys it seems there is room for Grossman who hit like Mauer last year and is the only one of these guys who is really good at getting on base. Also all these guys are inexpensive next year. Also Killeroff and Rooker could push for playing time later in the season, making Grossman a good player to include in a trade for a prospect at the trade deadline. He would be a player who gets on base at over a .360 clip for around a million for the last 6 weeks of the season. Could fetch a lottery ticket if Twins are out of it then. Especially if a team in contention has an injury...

No one is trading for the what Grossman has been the last three years. If so, trade him now! 

#75 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:34 PM

No one is trading for the what Grossman has been the last three years. If so, trade him now!

If a contender has a need for a professional bat and .....maybe a reliever and we are out of the race we can package them together. But on his own he would be worth a C or C- prospect in the 20-30 range. Nothing good but still. A good example of value maybe the return on kintzler only either 500k international cap space or the prospect not both. Which we could always use either if a player is set to be replaced.

#76 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:43 PM

If a contender has a need for a professional bat and .....maybe a reliever and we are out of the race we can package them together. But on his own he would be worth a C or C- prospect in the 20-30 range. Nothing good but still. A good example of value maybe the return on kintzler only either 500k international cap space or the prospect not both. Which we could always use either if a player is set to be replaced.

I hope that if someone is offering the Twins what would be the Twins' 21 prospect for Grossman, that the FO has already said yes, and we are just waiting for it to be legal to complete.