Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins projected arb salaries

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,157 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:18 PM

From mlbtrade rumors,

They project the Twins to spend 38.3m on arb for 10 players. It that is accurate, that would put the teams total payroll at just shy of 70m.* Assuming ownership keeps payroll roughly even, they'd have about 55-60m to spend in FA this offseason.

Jake Odorizzi – $9.4MM
Kyle Gibson – $7.9MM
Eddie Rosario – $5.0MM
Robbie Grossman – $4.0MM
Max Kepler – $3.2MM
Miguel Sano – $3.1MM
Ehire Adrianza – $1.8MM
Taylor Rogers – $1.6MM
Byron Buxton – $1.2MM
Trevor May – $1.1MM

Grossman (4m) and Adrianaza (1.8m) seem the most likely to be released out of the list although Odorizzi is making a lot of money, too.

* Assuming Morrison's contract is not picked up and counting the 5m+ for Hughes.

• glunn, Oldgoat_MN and nclahammer like this

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,979 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:26 PM

Zero reason to keep Grossman at that price. Zero. He's replacement level. If Wade or Cave or whomever is meh, for 500K, that's a much better use of resources. Plus, if you have guys with options, you can do something with them, as opposed to Grossman. Zero reason he should be on the roster at that price. 

I'd probably keep Odo, though if Pineda is healthy, I'm good with him being traded for almost anything, and using that money on a better option. I'm not good with just pocketing that money......

The rest are keepers, imo.

• Twins33, beckmt, markos and 9 others like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#3 BBAM

BBAM

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:30 PM

Since next year may be similar to this I would not keep Odorizzi and bring up Romero instead. 

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#4 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:33 PM

I would expect Grossman and Adrianza will be offered a slight raise and if they do not take it the will be released.

#5 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

Zero reason to keep Grossman at that price. Zero. He's replacement level. If Wade or Cave or whomever is meh, for 500K, that's a much better use of resources. Plus, if you have guys with options, you can do something with them, as opposed to Grossman. Zero reason he should be on the roster at that price. 

I'd probably keep Odo, though if Pineda is healthy, I'm good with him being traded for almost anything, and using that money on a better option. I'm not good with just pocketing that money......

The rest are keepers, imo.

I agree and add that Cave has shown hinmself to be affirmatively better than Grossman in the field and at the plate. Cave and Kepler should fight it out for the RF spot assuming that Buxton is the CF and the only way there's room for Grossman is if Kepler has to move to 1B.Even then, I'd rather have someone else on the roster like Astauillo since I think Grossman will wind up taking DH or OF ABs away from Cave, Kepler, Buxton, Garver, Austin and Sano. Those guys all need 500 ABs next year.  

• Mike Sixel, Twins33 and SF Twins Fan like this

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,483 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:33 PM

Grossman at $4 million is laughable. No way no how should he get a contract like that. Adrianza is still cheap for a utility guy but I would aim higher for a real rotating starter who can play all over the field like Marwin Gonzalez.
  • Mike Sixel, Twins33, zenser and 3 others like this

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,666 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:35 PM

I would expect Grossman and Adrianza will be offered a slight raise and if they do not take it the will be released.

It does not work like that.You either offer them arbitration (and make a deal or exchange figures) or you non-tender them. Cannot offer them something and then if they don't like it non-tender them.Any offer is binding to accept arbitration. 

That's the whole idea behind the arbitration system.

Edited by Thrylos, 09 October 2018 - 05:36 PM.

• LaBombo, markos, h2oface and 4 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:52 PM

I don't want Grossman back at any price. He's a bad defender and has no power. When he was hitting over .300 the second half he was tolerable, but we all know he's not doing that for a full season.

I would also pass on Odorizzi at that price. I'm guessing he gets more like $5m as free agent.

Edited by howeda7, 09 October 2018 - 05:54 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#9 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:55 PM

It does not work like that.You either offer them arbitration (and make a deal or exchange figures) or you non-tender them. Cannot offer them something and then if they don't like it non-tender them.Any offer is binding to accept arbitration. 

If we non-tender Odorizzi, can we make him an offer afterwards just like every other team? IIRC it used to be that you couldn't re-sign your own free agents that you non-tendered until May 1st. Or at least they couldn't play until then. Not sure if that rule still exists.

#10 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:03 PM

The team can get out of most of the contract during the spring by cutting the player, happens a lot.

Players on arbitration contracts who are cut on or before the 16th day of Spring Training are owed 30 days' termination pay (based on the prorated version of his agreed-upon arbitration salary). A player cut between the 16th day and the end of Spring Training is owed 45 days' termination pay (based on the prorated version of his agreed-upon arbitration salary). The arbitration salary becomes guaranteed if the player is on the 25-man roster when the season begins.

• 70charger, KGB, dbminn and 1 other like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#11 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:09 PM

I would not tender Grossman either but I do think he will be projected to have a better OPS next year than either Cave or certainly Wade.

I think the Twins need to seek a clear upgrade and that player isn’t on the roster.
  • 70charger, TheLeviathan, Tom Froemming and 1 other like this

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,979 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:12 PM

I would not tender Grossman either but I do think he will be projected to have a better OPS next year than either Cave or certainly Wade.

I think the Twins need to seek a clear upgrade and that player isn’t on the roster.

great, what about his defense, and expense compared to them? And, there is ZERO upside, at least Cave or Wade could surprise us......

edit: I'm sure he'll switch bats, adopt a launch angle approach, and hit 30 bombs.....on another team.....but I'm willing to take that chance....

Edited by Mike Sixel, 09 October 2018 - 06:13 PM.

• Twins33, tvagle, Tomj14 and 1 other like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#13 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:13 PM

great, what about his defense, and expense compared to them? And, there is ZERO upside, at least Cave or Wade could surprise us......

And as far as his OPS, his breathtaking ability to draw a walk with a runner on 3rd and one out is appreciated and all, but it's over-rated.

• Mike Sixel, h2oface, puckstopper1 and 1 other like this

#14 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:14 PM

If they keep these people plus some pre arb people I figured there salary already around about 69 million for next year before they add any people. Even filling in their needs for next year their salary is going to at least 80 million quite easily. If they sign any major free agents or trade for a proven player their payroll could easily reach100 million. Which I think where ownership doesn't want to me for next year I believe they want to be around the 80 million mark. This leads me to that the Twins are not going to be in the free agent market except for their basic needs to be filled on the team.

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,979 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:15 PM

If they keep these people plus some pre arb people I figured there salary already around about 69 million for next year before they add any people. Even filling in their needs for next year their salary is going to at least 80 million quite easily. If they sign any major free agents or trade for a proven player their payroll could easily reach100 million. Which I think where ownership doesn't want to me for next year I believe they want to be around the 80 million mark. This leads me to that the Twins are not going to be in the free agent market except for their basic needs to be filled on the team.

If they are at 80MM....wow. that would be sad and bad. But, hey, they can buy another yacht or two.....with their tax subsidized stadium....

Edited by Mike Sixel, 09 October 2018 - 06:16 PM.

• Sconnie, SF Twins Fan and Tomj14 like this

#16 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:17 PM

Zero reason to keep Grossman at that price. Zero. He's replacement level. 

I know some Twins fans who have so kind of cult hero thing going on with Grossman.We really need to get away from that kind of thing as a fanbase.IT was sort of the same thing going on with Punto.Mediocre players who held in high esteem.Are we trying to be the cutest team in baseball?

Sheesh

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#17 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,666 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:52 PM

If they are at 80MM....wow. that would be sad and bad. But, hey, they can buy another yacht or two.....with their tax subsidized stadium....

Their stadium is going to buy them a yacht (or two?)

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#18 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:52 PM

I was not aware that a team could not negotiate with a player before the December date to offer arbitration. I really don't think that is the case. When players loke Ortiz were released, Ryan did not talk to them about contracts first?

#19 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,177 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

Grossman at $4 million is laughable. No way no how should he get a contract like that. Adrianza is still cheap for a utility guy but I would aim higher for a real rotating starter who can play all over the field like Marwin Gonzalez.

If you sign Marwin Gonzalez it does literally nothing to change Adrianza's status. He's a fine bench piece.

I probably tender all of them but Grossman.

That's only 33M for a third of your roster. Another third is making pennies. Leaving a lot of money to play with.
  • Mike Sixel, Twins33, 70charger and 5 others like this

#20 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

Dang, Grossman's taking a beating here. To be clear: Grossman has had a .371 OBP over the past three seasons and that certainly has value. That said, I'm not sure where he fits on the 2019 Twins roster, particularly at $4 million.

All of the other guys should remain with the team, even the surprisingly pricey Odorizzi.

• Oldgoat_MN, rdehring and DannySD like this