Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

But for the will to act

twins brewers front office lewis brinson deadspin
  • Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

I like how aggressive the Brewers were and I like the example the set.

However, I still can't believe that rotation won them 96 games. I think they got lucky in that area and think putting a good but not elite offense around what appeared to be an average at best rotation was a bit reckless and shortsighted.

I think there was some luck involved, of course, but the rotation outlook wasn't that bad. Chase Anderson was very good in 2017, as was Jimmy Nelson although he went down at season's end with a shoulder injury. (Nelson wound up missing all of 2018, but that wasn't known at the time.) Plus a rising prospect like Freddy Peralta, and they had already shown some ability to coax useful performances out of guys like Davies, Suter, Guerra, etc. (And this year, Chacin, Miley, and Gio Gonzalez.)

That's not a rotation on par with Houston or Cleveland or whatever, but it's also not bad enough that you should pass on opportunities like Yelich and Cain. Or you are pretty much going to be waiting until forever to do anything, and who's to say guys like Yelich and Cain will even be available at those prices if/when your rotation looks stronger.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#42 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:46 PM

The Hicks trade is a prime example of doing it wrong. Hicks was dealt from a supposed position of strength (OF) to fill a supposed position of weakness ©. Hicks was depth and insurance... he finally started to show us something in 2015. By removing Hicks off the roster... When Buxton struggled and Sano couldn't find fly balls... options to change your course was removed. Just like that a position of strength was a position of extreme weakness and we are on the waiver wire to find Robbie Grossman.  

If Terry Ryan would have thought like David Stearns... He wouldn't have had to trade Aaron Hicks. We could have walked into 2016 With Buxton a

nd Hicks in the same OF along with Rosario and Sano. Sano could have been moved back to 3B quicker with Hicks as an option. We wouldn't have had to be as patient with a struggling Buxton. 

I disagree with saying that trade is the wrong way. They were trading a young outfielder for a 25 year old catcher would looked to be on the brink of breaking out. Hicks has been good but injury prone as a Yankee only averaging 116 games a year. (he is now 29 and has a career war of just over 10) Even in hindsight it hasn't been bad since the Twins got Moya.

#43 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

I guess what I was getting at is that had the Twins been the Brewers and swung a deal for Yelich last year, I would have been disappointed because I'd have preferred they'd used that equity to get deGrom or Syndergaard instead.

But the Mets weren't selling, at least not at Marlins prices.

FWIW, the Brewers did sign a 2.5 WAR SP in Chacin, and they made a Twins-like effort at Darvish too. I don't think they recklessly ignored the rotation, I just think the opportunities weren't necessarily there. Credit to them for not just folding/waiting, and instead they found other areas to improve their 86 win team from last year. (Even if they did benefit from luck to get them up to 96 this year.)
  • Mike Sixel, Twins33, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

#44 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:09 PM

I think an outfield of Rosario, Buxton, Kepler, and Cave would be just fine next year. Make it a competition, the best players play. Buxton and Kepler are too young to give up on. Rotate them, see who's best, every starter should be given a day off now and then to refresh and rest. 

That might actualy happen with a new manager. The old Twins way would be to concentrate on the f 3 myou decided were the future years ago regardless of performance and 9ignore the one who came on unexpectedly this year. I say Rosario penciled in every day and the other 3 fight for playing time until 2 really emerge.  

• Riverbrian and Blackjack like this

#45 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,933 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:25 PM

I guess what I was getting at is that had the Twins been the Brewers and swung a deal for Yelich last year, I would have been disappointed because I'd have preferred they'd used that equity to get deGrom or Syndergaard instead. They could stack up against Sale, Verlander, Kluber and Severino. I wasn't a fan of Yelich, he always seemed like an under-achiever and didn't have enough power for a corner bat. Clearly I was wrong there.

If my team doesn't have a competitive rotation I wouldn't curl up and cry, I'd demand my GM look harder. However, to prove the difficulty of that: I don't think anyone was against a trade deadline move for Verlander two years ago, 90% of the board just said it couldn't be done because he made it pretty clear that he wouldn't waive his no trade clause to come here considering the vastly superior and WS favorite Astros were barely able to convince him to go there.

Not to hijack this thread, but lots of posters were against trying to Verlander. Too old, not that good, too expensive in salary, too expensive in prospects, not the right time...you "go all in when he's the last piece," etc etc etc.
  • Mike Sixel and Physics Guy like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#46 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:30 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but lots of posters were against trying to Verlander. Too old, not that good, too expensive in salary, too expensive in prospects, not the right time...you "go all in when he's the last piece," etc etc etc.

Yes. That's my memory of the discussion. 

#47 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:33 PM

For those who are bored tonight....

http://twinsdaily.co...-get-verlander/

#48 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,680 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:52 PM

Starers aren't always as important. Still, we found the same four teams in the (real) AL playoffs with the same stud aces as we did last year. I would have bet against the Brewers in any of those matchups.

And, yeah saying that I'm fairly confident they'll prove me wrong and win the WS making a mockery of which ever AL rotation ends up facing them.

The Rockies only two scored two runs off of Jeffries. So... so far so good.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#49 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,933 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

I particularly liked the argument that Lance Lynn would be better and cheaper.
  • Mike Sixel and h2oface like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#50 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,207 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:15 PM

Now link the Troy Tulowitski thread.Most of the same people crowing about that thread will have a plate of crow to eat.

When we discuss actions like this people are far too black and white.They either are gun-shy about every deal or they've never met an "aggressive" move they didn't love.Well, truth is, they both hvae a pretty damn high failure rate.

• birdwatcher, SwainZag and Major Leauge Ready like this

#51 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:19 PM

The Hicks trade is a prime example of doing it wrong. Hicks was dealt from a supposed position of strength (OF) to fill a supposed position of weakness ©. Hicks was depth and insurance... he finally started to show us something in 2015. By removing Hicks off the roster... When Buxton struggled and Sano couldn't find fly balls... options to change your course was removed. Just like that a position of strength was a position of extreme weakness and we are on the waiver wire to find Robbie Grossman.  

If Terry Ryan would have thought like David Stearns... He wouldn't have had to trade Aaron Hicks. We could have walked into 2016 With Buxton and Hicks in the same OF along with Rosario and Sano. Sano could have been moved back to 3B quicker with Hicks as an option. We wouldn't have had to be as patient with a struggling Buxton. 

Yes, I don't think there was a single thing about the Hicks trade that was doing it right.We not only traded the wrong player, we traded him for an unbelievably worse player.Bad idea, worse execution.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

• USAFChief, birdwatcher and Riverbrian like this

#52 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,680 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:22 PM

I disagree with saying that trade is the wrong way. They were trading a young outfielder for a 25 year old catcher would looked to be on the brink of breaking out. Hicks has been good but injury prone as a Yankee only averaging 116 games a year. (he is now 29 and has a career war of just over 10) Even in hindsight it hasn't been bad since the Twins got Moya.

I get that... but my point was that they blew their thick in the OF to fill a catcher hole. Which basically left them thin everywhere.

The Brewers kept that OF thick and are playing Erik Kratz right now at the Catcher position.  

Outfielders consistently out produce catchers at the plate. Murphy had the potential to hit 10 home runs? Hicks has 30-30 potential.

I was against the trade the moment it was announced. 

• USAFChief, birdwatcher and h2oface like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#53 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,680 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:24 PM

At some point you have to try. Twins really never have. It's always a halfway effort, or a B or C level signing. Or trading away your B prosepcts for C players, etc. 

That and the fact they haven't developed hardly any players lately and have traded away all kinds of players that have had success elsewhere makes it very frustrating to be a fan of this team.

Just once, I'd like to see them go out and sign a true stud. The best player at their position. Or trade our best prospect or 2 for a real difference maker. 

Where are our Superstars? 

We don't have them because we stopped at Trevor Plouffe and said that's good enough. 

• h2oface and Battle ur tail off like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#54 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,680 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:29 PM

I think there was some luck involved, of course, but the rotation outlook wasn't that bad. Chase Anderson was very good in 2017, as was Jimmy Nelson although he went down at season's end with a shoulder injury. (Nelson wound up missing all of 2018, but that wasn't known at the time.) Plus a rising prospect like Freddy Peralta, and they had already shown some ability to coax useful performances out of guys like Davies, Suter, Guerra, etc. (And this year, Chacin, Miley, and Gio Gonzalez.)

That's not a rotation on par with Houston or Cleveland or whatever, but it's also not bad enough that you should pass on opportunities like Yelich and Cain. Or you are pretty much going to be waiting until forever to do anything, and who's to say guys like Yelich and Cain will even be available at those prices if/when your rotation looks stronger.

And... The Brewers have most of the team coming back, payroll space and trade chips to work with.

They can take a bigger swing at starting pitching this off season and be even stronger next year. 

Stearns is making that team bullet proof. They will be back. They can survive injuries and some poor performance. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#55 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:25 PM

We would all love to have a dominant rotation, but those guys are hard to find. Not to mention, When I argued long and hard for a push to acquire Verlander 2 years ago, 90 percent of the board was against it.

But I see the point as, if you dont have a rotation of Verlanders, you needn't curl up in a ball and cry about it. Find more offense, build a bullpen that is better than your opponant.

Do something. Win other ways. Spend, trade, develop. Add talent...be on the other end of the Aaron Hicks trade, where you are acquiring the player with WAY more talent and upside. Take advantage when circumstance puts a Yelich (or a Verlander...or Realmuto) on the market.

A lot of the board said that Verlander had a no trade contract and no evidence that he would willingly go to the Twins.

Edited by old nurse, 09 October 2018 - 05:29 PM.

#56 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,015 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:51 PM

A lot of the board said that Verlander had a no trade contract and no evidence that he would willingly go to the Twins.

But we don't KNOW that.....and the Twins could have enticed him with money.

But the point is, when did they ever do this, ever? Couldn't trade Hicks for a great pitcher either....because someday he'd be Willie Mays or something.....It's a pattern of aiming low, over and over and over.

• Tomj14 and Battle ur tail off like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#57 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:57 PM

Agreed. They didn't sit around and hope on prospects.... Big fan.

They'd trade prospects to make the team better now--something the Twins never did during our mini "run" in the 2000s

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and Battle ur tail off like this

#58 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:03 PM

But we don't KNOW that.....and the Twins could have enticed him with money.

But the point is, when did they ever do this, ever? Couldn't trade Hicks for a great pitcher either....because someday he'd be Willie Mays or something.....It's a pattern of aiming low, over and over and over.

In regards to Verlander, how many times and the reality doesn't set in for people?

Luis Castillo says hello. Scott Tyler was a second round pick.

#59 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,816 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:35 PM

Yep. "Waiting for Buxton" sounds more and more like the title of a sad ESPN 30-for-30 documentary.

I think not calling Buxton up this September was a nice move by Falvine and it should set the tone moving forward. At this point the Twins should be penciling in Cave and Rosario in the OF, and should be looking hard at making moves for another starting OF to join them next year.

7CF0E44D-F93C-488D-808D-77A8371C1E76.jpeg

It’s a comedy and hilariously tragic
  • spycake and bighat like this

#60 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:32 PM

In the late 80s and early 90s they signed Jack Morris to the largest FA contract ever, and signed Don Baylor (and more).......they didn't shop the bargain bin in 87......there is no coincidence that they did well that year (lucky to win it all, sure).

And sure, the Brewers had good fortune this year.....but they partly made that happen by not sitting around and waiting on prospects. 

Sorry.They absolutely shopped the bargain bin in 87. Don Bayolor was 38 years old coming off a couple so so seasons and the epitome of aging vet hoping he had a little left. One swing the entire year probably changed the hindsight view of him. Odorizzi and Lynn look like Koufax and Kershaw compared to 42 year old Carlton and 42 year old Niekro.Yeah, they spent money on Morris but he was 36 and coming off seasons of 21-32 with ERAs of 4.51 and 4.86. Do you really think if TD was around at that time everyone would be cheering the move before the season began. .Again. More a case of players performing that could very easily have gone the other way.My motive here isn't to say the Twins are doing great.They are obviously not at the moment.Its more echoing that there are different ways to have success. For every Brewers story there are several similar that have failed. For every several teams that have been built similar to the Twins and failed there have been some that have done well. ie A's and Braves.

• birdwatcher likes this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, brewers, front office, lewis brinson, deadspin