Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: ESPN Report: Miguel Sano Won't Face Criminal Charges

miguel sano
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:21 PM

The report that Sano stepped on the officer's leg and fired a gun in the air sound cartoonishly bizarre.  Likely an unverified anonymous source. 

Media reporting rumors again. 

I'd be careful with the speculation one way or the other, especially with the language barrier. 

• Nine of twelve likes this

Follow me on Twitter: @Brandon_Warne

Follow Zone Coverage on Twitter: @ZoneCoverageMN

#22 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,483 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:30 PM

I might not be the best driver in the world, but I always look behind me (and around the car) before I get in the car. If I run over something that was there and I just didn't see it, or didn't clear the path, I feel like a moron, and I know I am totally at fault. If I run over a living being (or hit them, etc) because I just didn't see them but should have..... I can't just brush it off and think.... oh well, just a stupid mistake. It is huge, regardless of intent. I don't know how running over someone and breaking their legs isn't "reckless driving", regardless of whether one doesn't see something, because it is our responsibility to not move until we clear the path. I also don't drive a car that doesn't have plates.... I really don't like to talk to police if they initiate the conversation. I have never enjoyed a conversation with a cop that started that way. I might forget my wallet very rarely, so I can sympathize with not having ID. Plus somebody would have had to pay the tab. ID and wallet always together.

Just think if Sano and Puig were on the same team. Never a dull moment.

Agreed. Something isn't adding up with either story, honestly. I don't know what kind of truck he drives in the DR but my truck (which is nothing special) has a backup camera and beeps frantically if I am within 3 feet of an object.

One thing we shouldn't toss to the side: Sano has money and can use it to get out of trouble, especially in a country like the DR.

Edited by Vanimal46, 08 October 2018 - 03:31 PM.

• Jerr and snap4birds like this

#23 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:39 PM

Well good.  We're back to getting dimes on the dollar for him in a trade.  I almost prefer the Yosemite Sam version of the story to this new version.  Man, I know it's a different culture and all sorts of stuff, but geez--backing over a police officer, WHILE stone cold sober?  We're definitely into Tommy Boy territory here.

Screen Shot 2018 10 08 At 4.35.16 PM

Actual photo of Sano's truck

Screen Shot 2018 10 08 At 4.37.25 PM

• Circus Boy, Original Whizzinator and 3balls2strikes like this

#24 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:38 PM

One thing we shouldn't toss to the side: Sano has money and can use it to get out of trouble, especially in a country like the DR.

Another thing we shouldn't toss aside: Sano has money and is probably a big target for extortion, especially in a country like the DR.

I'm not saying I believe that's what happened here, but as long as we're throwing out theories I think it's fair to suggest it's possible this was local law enforcement shaking down Sano.

What actually happened? I have no idea, but the way the information has come out, details and timeline in which everything happened definitely seems fishy. I'd sure like to believe this ESPN report is the way things went down and hope that the officer has a speedy recovery.

• Carole Keller, glunn, Han Joelo and 9 others like this

#25 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

Another thing we shouldn't toss aside: Sano has money and is probably a big target for extortion, especially in a country like the DR.

I'm not saying I believe that's what happened here, but as long as we're throwing out theories I think it's fair to suggest it's possible this was local law enforcement shaking down Sano.

What actually happened? I have no idea, but the way the information has come out, details and timeline in which everything happened definitely seems fishy. I'd sure like to believe this ESPN report is the way things went down and hope that the officer has a speedy recovery.

I've not been to the DR but have friends who have spent a lot of time there. It's very different from Minnesota, and paying off people or extorting them is a thing. We can only imagine how famous Sano might be in his impoverished hometown. Watching the Pelotero film, you begin to get a sense of that... 

• glunn and Jerr like this

#26 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:08 PM

I hate to say it, the story seems to have changed from what was earlier reported. Funny how things work out.

#27 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:14 PM

San Pedro de Macaris, they know how to take care of their own.

It went from diminishing the income of that community substantially to Miguel being the selfless hero in 24 hours.

I'm not saying I know what happened, but, I would like the name of the law/PR firm because they sound incredibly effective.

If only they could coach Mr. Sano in baseball....

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,493 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:07 AM

Problem with the DR is that both things like this (as well as Sano paying the guy off) are quite possible. It's sadly much more common than we would like to admit in central America. The police are not paid well. 

That said, the one thing that sticks out to me is that the guy with the broken leg knew Sano. I thought the report said they grew up together. To me, that changes a lot of the dynamics of the situation. 

I suppose people will believe what they want to believe, but absent any additional information, this looks like an unfortunate accident. 

• gagu likes this

#29 Doubles

Doubles

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:37 AM

Regardless of what did or didn't happen-Sano being back in the DR seems to be an accepted truth, as was Sano allegedly being out at the club at 3am.  

Whether he is culpable or not, at this juncture of his career, Sano would seem wise to refrain from any and all circumstances in which trouble could find him.  

#30 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:42 PM

All I know is, if a boyhood friend broke my leg, I'd make him pay. Big time.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#31 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:20 PM

In regards to the 3AM discussion, I would ask that people would evaluate this based on the culture of the Dominican Republic and not in US standards.I traveled to Brazil last year and because they are used to having American guests they worked with a restaurant to ensure they would be open at 8PM when they were going to take us out to eat.I asked why this is and they said because it is so hot out during the day that most activity takes place at night and that late dinners at 10,11,12 is fairly common.I am not sure how many cultural norms Brazil and the Dominican Republic share but it seems like a possibility that this is one.

Excellent point, then again, he had the dumb luck to be leaving a club while he ran over a cop with his car.That just doesn't look good (innocent or not).

#32 gagu

gagu

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationLimache, Chile

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:25 AM

I have vacationed in the D.R.and have lived in Chile for 18 years. Leaving a club at 3 AM should not raise eyebrows. While backing over the officer is a strange thing, note that the motorcycles are glorified dirtbikes, not the big Harleys that you see in the states. And odds are that the lighting conditions were poor. With the information given out so far, it doesn't look bad to me. Just my opinion.

• Carole Keller, snepp and TheLeviathan like this

#33 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

Problem with the DR is that both things like this (as well as Sano paying the guy off) are quite possible. It's sadly much more common than we would like to admit in central America. The police are not paid well.

That said, the one thing that sticks out to me is that the guy with the broken leg knew Sano. I thought the report said they grew up together. To me, that changes a lot of the dynamics of the situation.

I suppose people will believe what they want to believe, but absent any additional information, this looks like an unfortunate accident.

I hope the newly reported story is in fact the real story, for all involved.

However, I'm with Tom on this one.
The incredibly vast difference between the initial story and the more recent story just doesn't smell right.
I get that early breaking news is often inaccurate, but these two stories aren't even remotely in the same ballpark.

#34 highlander

highlander

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:49 PM

Different country, different rules. I believe this was just an unfortunate accident, not a drunken police of stupidity.

#35 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

Nothing to see here.

Sano backs over a policeman at 3:00 a.m. outside a Club, breaks his leg, drives him to hospital, happens to know him, and despite reports of being detained and having run over the officer on purpose, all is well.

Take out some cash money, talk it over."Aqui nos reglamos."

Just another day in the life of Miguel.

And, he's going to be A-1 come February, after leading the league in SO%.

Whoever the Twins hire to manage, they better be able to handle Boqueton when it comes to sweet talk in Spanish.

#36 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,095 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

Wilson Ramos ring a bell?

If memory serves, he was kidnapped in Venezuela for ransom, which I guess was sort of a cottage industry in Venezuela a few years ago.

So yeah, shaking down someone in another country isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

Heck, back in the seventies, a couple of buddies of mine were shaken down at the Mexican border when trying to come back into the US. Pretty funny story. Border guards tried to get $80 and my buddies talked the border guards down to $40. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano