Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Miguel Sano Detained In Dominican Republic

miguel sano
  • Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#41 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:53 PM

Dude, back off. I'm not judging Sano here but defamation includes intentional negligence in the statement. Sano was detained for running over somebody. Maybe he was in the right, maybe he was in the wrong, but...

Stop the armchair lawyering. You're not a lawyer. I'm not a lawyer but I'm married to one and it has only made me realize how much I *don't* know about the law.

So just ease the hell up.

Also, for those ready to crucify Sano... Ease the hell up until you know WTF is going on. Stop playing to your biases. We'll find out more soon enough.

Right.Best case scenario this is a bad look.Worst case.....well, given what has been said so far, that could get really bad.Probably best to wait it out before we declare anything regarding this incident.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 07 October 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#42 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,151 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:20 PM

Venezuela?

that's were Sano is laying low, apparently
  • birdwatcher likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#43 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:52 AM

Maybe if he spends a month in jail he will lose some weight?
  • ChrisKnutson likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#44 Rigby

Rigby

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:07 AM

Laying low? Better hope Admiral Sperry doesn't plant a flag on him....

• LaBombo likes this

#45 The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:58 AM

The comments sure are in stark contrast to the outrage when a couple local writers questioned his character.

More substantiated proof.
Also, a second strike.

#46 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:25 AM

Here we go again. I guess it was too much to ask to have on off-season with no drama!

• LaBombo and Sconnie like this

#47 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:29 AM

Twins should not dump him for this, but they should make a “final chance” notice to him and media.  

And this time I really mean it.

#48 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:29 AM

I'd like to say "this is what happens when you get a six million dollar bonus as a teenager" but other players get huge bonuses to sign, stash the money, and go on to become good major league players. 

Whats does this say about Sano's character??!

Signing young players is such a crap shoot.

• Jerr and SF Twins Fan like this

#49 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:35 AM

There is something out three about being innocent until proven guilty...

Guess it does not apply to certain Twins' fans...

I'm not sure that applies in the DR. However I understand your point. At this juncture, it doesn't look very pretty. We shall see. As Will Rogers said: "All I know is what I read in the newspaper".

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#50 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:40 AM

Interesting question if he is found guilty, or pleads, to a crime.Assuming this is all behind him by March, he still needs a visa every year.Will he get it if he has a criminal record?

Several days, or weeks ago I made a comment here about my hope that the Twins would get lucky and one of the two, Buxton and Sano, would put it together and be the player they can be in 2019...or something to that extent.Sure is beginning to look like all that weight is gonna be on Buxton's shoulders as he may be the only one available to play come opening day.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#51 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:42 AM

Just a guess but most innocent people don't offer to pay medical bills.

I bet Sano will be paying more than just medical bills after a plaintiff's lawyer gets involved.

• Jerr and rdehring like this

#52 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:52 AM

There's really no question that Sano is more interested in the stereotypical pro athlete lifestyle than actually being a good MLB player. Whatever the exact details in this incident, I have little hope that he will do what he needs to do to get on track as a baseball player.

At this point, the Twins just have to hope he is able to do well enough to build up some trade value, either at the deadline (not in contention) or after 2019.

There's no doubt about it. He's a playboy. He'd be much better off in New York where he can get shofered from one night club to the next with his fellow athletes. They at least could keep an eye on him, because he's obviously pretty dumb when it comes to this kind of behavior. 

Anyhow he's lucky this happened in the Dominican and not the USA. A hit and run charge, assault (via his vehicle) of a police officer, DUI, would be EASY multiple felony convictions in every US state. 

Edited by laloesch, 08 October 2018 - 07:35 AM.

#53 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:04 AM

Interesting question if he is found guilty, or pleads, to a crime.Assuming this is all behind him by March, he still needs a visa every year.Will he get it if he has a criminal record?

Several days, or weeks ago I made a comment here about my hope that the Twins would get lucky and one of the two, Buxton and Sano, would put it together and be the player they can be in 2019...or something to that extent.Sure is beginning to look like all that weight is gonna be on Buxton's shoulders as he may be the only one available to play come opening day.

That's a good question.He better hire a VERY GOOD lawyer at this point because he might be ineligible for a work VISA depending on the outcome of this incident in the Dominican.The US immigration official will likely make a determination the next time he attempts to apply for a VISA.If convicted (doesn't sound like he's going to be and he's LUCKY) he could be ineligible and have to file an I-192 waiver for "Legal Forgiveness."  

Edited by laloesch, 08 October 2018 - 07:05 AM.

• Mike Frasier Law and rdehring like this

#54 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:06 AM

So sick of it

• Jerr, SF Twins Fan and rdehring like this

#55 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:07 AM

Venezuela is a complete mess. Maybe Sano can relate.

#56 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:23 AM

I have posted several times that Sano is injury prone below the neck and lacking in true desire to excel and very immature above the neck. Twins should put the baseball totally in his court. No special treatment one way or another. Off season.....totally on Sano. Whether or not to even show up for spring training.....totally on Sano. How he performs and/or listens to coaching during spring training....totally on Sano. Who goes north in 2019 on the final roster....totally on Sano. Time to act and perform like what he is supposed to be or go back to DR and play slow pitch softball.

#57 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,768 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

There's no doubt about it. He's a playboy. He'd be much better off in New York where he can get shofered from one night club to the next with his fellow athletes. 

His wife was with him...

• Mike Frasier Law likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#58 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:49 AM

Do you folks have more infrmation than what was posted by Seth? His report was that a vehicle Sano was in came in contact with a police officer. Everyone seems to assume he was the driver. Anyone know definitively? There may have been gun shots? Nothing concrete in that statement either, but it seems to be an accepted fact in some comments. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, could it be possible that Sano was riding with a friend and a policeman was hit? Is it possible the friend's car backfired when it stopped sounding like a gunshot? Maybe Mr. Sano offered to pay medical expenses to help out his friend and to be a good citizen? A lot of conclusions drawn from a vague report.
  • Thrylos and Mike Frasier Law like this

#59 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:55 AM

I have posted several times that Sano is injury prone below the neck and lacking in true desire to excel and very immature above the neck. Twins should put the baseball totally in his court. No special treatment one way or another. Off season.....totally on Sano. Whether or not to even show up for spring training.....totally on Sano. How he performs and/or listens to coaching during spring training....totally on Sano. Who goes north in 2019 on the final roster....totally on Sano. Time to act and perform like what he is supposed to be or go back to DR and play slow pitch softball.

He could be very important to this team. If you don't care about that, we made a $4M investment followed by several years of development. Plus, we don't even know the facts. So, before we flush Sano, let's find out the facts and try to assist him IF HE DEMONSTRATES A WILLINGNESS to get it together.

• birdwatcher, scottz and SF Twins Fan like this

#60 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,928 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:03 AM

Just to play devil's advocate, what if the gun shots reported were fired by somebody else, and spooked Sano, who drove off to avoid the gun fire, and accidentally drove over the officer? What if the officer was shaking him down for a bribe?

Lots of unknowns - I'm not a fan of Sano, with the stuff that went on last offseason, but it's too early to say what happened here.

• Jerr, pbrezeasap and Mike Frasier Law like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano