Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Managerial Candidates

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

Red Dawg roaming the Rockies dugout. Looks like he could still play.

How about a player/coach?

• glunn likes this

#42 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:58 AM

Stubby Clapp?Has managed the Memphis Redbirds the past 2 years, won the PCL both years.Named Minor League Manager of the Year last year (and may be again this year when the award comes out).  
Prior to Memphis, he worked in the Toronto system for years, and there is some smoke he might be hired there.
I'm pretty sure he's hip to the new analytics, and the Twins look to have a young roster.He's more likely to end up in Toronto, but he's a possibility if you're looking for someone outside the Twins org.

Good resume. Seems like a candidate.

Of course, I’d hire him on name alone. Epic, epic baseball name.
  • USAFChief, glunn, birdwatcher and 1 other like this

#43 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,493 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:54 PM

Or which moderator decides to hide a post or two. "Likes" go away with the post, y'know.

Finally, some benefit to this job.

well not really... you'd just end up hiding the question. Twins would need a good fall back plan when the mods don't like the choices we're presented with.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#44 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,399 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:17 PM

The term "from within the organization" was a big deal to so many in these (And other) forums back in the Ryan administration. Ryan replaced MacPhail and a lot of people had been around for a long time. Likewise, Molitor replaced Gardy who replaced TK, all along the same lines. 

But at this point, I don't think that phrase means anything. First, there's a better chance that Gene Glynn, Eddie Guardado and Jeff Smith are let go than any of them having a chance to be the manager. All three were Ryan hires, I believe. 

Derek Shelton's been in the organization for 1 year, hired by Falvey/Levine. Jeff Pickler has been around two years, hired by Falvey/Levine. They aren't "organizational guys" at this point. 

At this point, there are a ton of good candidates. My guess is that they will want to someone who fully supports the analytics of the game, and has a reputation of being good with young players and development. (note - these were qualities of Molitor too, by the way)

I think Mark Derosa is a legit candidate. I don't think Managerial experience is a high priority, and it shouldn't be. I would lean toward someone recently retired... I'd consider Chris Gimenez a candidate. 

• glunn, dbminn, bighat and 1 other like this

#45 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

Or which moderator decides to hide a post or two. "Likes" go away with the post, y'know.

Finally, some benefit to this job.

It has to be approved by me though. I'm manager.  Falvey called me today.  We are negotiating a contract right now.

• ashburyjohn likes this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#46 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:10 AM

Isn't John MacDonald the SS in Toronto on Cuddyer's ground ball that essentially altered the course of Twins' history when he kneed Justin Morneau in the head?

On that basis alone, too much karma to even consider him.

• gil4 likes this

#47 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:57 AM

I would like to see Mike Redmond get a shot. He was successful initially in Miami with almost all young players. I think a manger learns on the job and he will be better his next job 

#48 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:20 PM

I would like to see Mike Redmond get a shot. He was successful initially in Miami with almost all young players. I think a manger learns on the job and he will be better his next job

One things about Red Dog, his players would have fun and stay loose.
  • twinssporto and bighat like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#49 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,583 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:54 PM

It has to be approved by me though. I'm manager. Falvey called me today. We are negotiating a contract right now.

Falvey is one more warning point from an extended time out. He'd best be careful in his choice of TD candidates.
  • twinssporto likes this

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#50 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 06 October 2018 - 06:49 PM

Number of "likes" will govern.In the event of a tie, Rock/Paper/Scissors will decide the "correct" move.

Thank goodness for modern analytics. Here's what would happen with an old-school manager.

http://mydrainbamage...r-scissors.html

• ashburyjohn likes this

#51 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:18 AM

i can see this.Mike is a good guy.

#52 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:00 PM

Yes. But think of the poor media having to be in the clubhouse for his....walk throughs.

#53 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:03 PM

I'm hoping for Ozzie Guillen, especially with Gardie in the same division. Falvine would never do anything that fun. I just hope the new manager encourages lefty lead-off batters to bunt away from the shift to get on base.

You and I have different definitions of fun. I hope you're right about Falvine.

#54 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:07 PM

Isn't John MacDonald the SS in Toronto on Cuddyer's ground ball that essentially altered the course of Twins' history when he kneed Justin Morneau in the head?

On that basis alone, too much karma to even consider him.

I thought it was interesting he was on the list, only because he's from my home town. I have no idea what he has been doing since his playing days ended. (I assume they ended.)