Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Managerial Candidates

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,527 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:13 PM

I was thinking Les Steckel, but have to concede your choice is better.

But, more seriously, I've seen Joe Girardi's name mentioned. I don't remember what knocks there might be on him, or why the Yankees parted company with him, but if you want a retread it would seem like you could do worse. I don't think he'd be totally at odds with an analytically minded FO, but maybe that's the problem.

I had read (or thought I read that, at the time) that they didn't feel he was the manager for the younger players, that he had a preference for older veterans and wasn't good at continuing to develop the younger players.

If that's the case, I'd want consideration for him to be considered very carefully.

• ashburyjohn, glunn, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:24 PM

I had read (or thought I read that, at the time) that they didn't feel he was the manager for the younger players, that he had a preference for older veterans and wasn't good at continuing to develop the younger players.

If that's the case, I'd want consideration for him to be considered very carefully.

Yeah the (alleged) knock on him was that he couldn’t or wouldn’t relate to younger players.

https://www.nbcsport...e-young-players
  • ashburyjohn, glunn and MN_ExPat like this

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,000 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:03 PM

Yeah the (alleged) knock on him was that he couldn’t or wouldn’t relate to younger players.

Well, then. :)

• nicksaviking and MN_ExPat like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#24 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:38 AM

punto.

• Heistyman likes this

#25 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:12 AM

I'm guessing there will be an article or 4 on this in the next couple of weeks.

A bit pessimistic on the total?

• diehardtwinsfan, gil4 and Twinsbar107 like this

#26 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:15 AM

I would love to see Ron Washington get another shot. He was just great here in Texas taking the Rangers to two World Series along with Thad Levine. But his departure from Texas was awkward and Levine knows those details as well as anyone.

I'd also love to see Ron Washington get a shot. I've always liked his style. But I'm guessing that he's considered too old and too "old school" by the front office for any serious consideration. T

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#27 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

Well, then. :)

Well maybe the plan is to continue to feature Belisle and Gimenez.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:52 AM

Well maybe the plan is to continue to feature Belisle and Gimenez.

Co-Managers?! How innovative would that be?
  • nicksaviking likes this

#29 snap4birds

snap4birds

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:28 AM

Stubby Clapp?Has managed the Memphis Redbirds the past 2 years, won the PCL both years.Named Minor League Manager of the Year last year (and may be again this year when the award comes out).  
Prior to Memphis, he worked in the Toronto system for years, and there is some smoke he might be hired there.

I'm pretty sure he's hip to the new analytics, and the Twins look to have a young roster.He's more likely to end up in Toronto, but he's a possibility if you're looking for someone outside the Twins org.

• glunn, nicksaviking, 70charger and 1 other like this

#30 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:28 AM

Everyone relax.  I submitted my resume yesterday.  When I get the job I'll manage by Game Thread inputs.  I bet the Game Threads would be mighty popular again...

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, glunn and 9 others like this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#31 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:41 AM

I'm hoping for Ozzie Guillen, especially with Gardie in the same division. Falvine would never do anything that fun. I just hope the new manager encourages lefty lead-off batters to bunt away from the shift to get on base.

Purely from an 'entertainment' stand point that would be fantastic! 

• glunn likes this
I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#32 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:48 AM

Not a managerial topic, but Mark Feinsand tweeted that the Mets asked for permission to interview Levine but Levine declined.

• glunn, 70charger, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

#33 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:55 AM

Stubby Clapp?Has managed the Memphis Redbirds the past 2 years, won the PCL both years.Named Minor League Manager of the Year last year (and may be again this year when the award comes out).  
Prior to Memphis, he worked in the Toronto system for years, and there is some smoke he might be hired there.

I'm pretty sure he's hip to the new analytics, and the Twins look to have a young roster.He's more likely to end up in Toronto, but he's a possibility if you're looking for someone outside the Twins org.

He sounds interesting to me. His profile, not his name.

The name Stubby Clapp sounds like it belongs to a guy who somehow stumbled into our game straight from the deadball era where the most innovative thing the game has seen is the double switch. 

• snap4birds likes this

#34 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:10 AM

https://www.nbcsport...e-young-players

That's code for, "When he was hired the team was already established. He didn't have to do much coaching, if any. Now we are rebuilding and he has no fricking clue what to do."

It's impossible to know if Girardi is better than Molitor with the talent he inherited. Can he fill in a lineup card properly, or did batting order even matter for his teams? Does he know when to pull a pitcher, or did it really matter when the team offense could always battle back anyway?

Let someone else pick him up. Besides, most Yankees would rather die than put on a Twins uniform.

Edited by Doomtints, 05 October 2018 - 10:11 AM.

#35 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

I'm hoping for Ozzie Guillen, especially with Gardie in the same division. Falvine would never do anything that fun. I just hope the new manager encourages lefty lead-off batters to bunt away from the shift to get on base.

I'm guessing Guillen is blackballed for his pro-immigration and pro-Castro remarks (the latter saw him suspended for 5 days), along with his criticism of how the league treats players from Latin America. He also called a Chicago journalist a sexual slur.

The White Sox championship year was a fluke. Their pitching was insane that year and they were never able to come anywhere close to duplicating that performance. When I think of White Sox teams under Guillen I think of lazy defense and streaky hitting/pitching ... and food poisoning for the Twins players whenever they came to town.

• adorduan likes this

#36 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:24 AM

Everyone relax.  I submitted my resume yesterday.  When I get the job I'll manage by Game Thread inputs.  I bet the Game Threads would be mighty popular again...

What about the stuff that contradicts the other stuff?

Management by TD opinions would result in Target Field starting on fire by the fourth inning of game 1.
  • glunn, twinssporto, Twinsbar107 and 1 other like this

#37 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:43 AM

Management by TD opinions would result in Target Field starting on fire by the fourth inning of game 1.

Well only if our team is losing. Great idea though since the game becomes official in the fifth. Definitely sounds like a Jeff Pickler out-of-the-box move.

• TheLeviathan and Twinsbar107 like this

#38 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:56 AM

What about the stuff that contradicts the other stuff?

Number of "likes" will govern.In the event of a tie, Rock/Paper/Scissors will decide the "correct" move.

• USAFChief, glunn, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#39 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,153 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:01 AM

Number of "likes" will govern.In the event of a tie, Rock/Paper/Scissors will decide the "correct" move.

Or which moderator decides to hide a post or two. "Likes" go away with the post, y'know.

Finally, some benefit to this job.

• glunn, nicksaviking, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#40 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:05 AM

Or which moderator decides to hide a post or two. "Likes" go away with the post, y'know.

Finally, some benefit to this job.

Thou shall not abuse one's power unless majority rule declares a 2nd inning sac bunt to be the play of choice.

• glunn, nicksaviking and MN_ExPat like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat